PDA

View Full Version : NCV3 Brake Mileage

cvo
02-14-2014, 11:24 AM
I have 50K on my 144" 2500 low top now. The dealer made no mention at my 50K service about replacing brake.

Whats the average mileage on brakes before replacement? My E350 would be due at 50K.

ircsmith
02-14-2014, 08:04 PM
I have been wondering the same thing. I have 68K and the front right is starting to sequel but I'm not sure if its due or just "dirty" I will be doing the transmission fluid change on monday and will have a peek then.

anybody need brakes at 68K? my van rarely hauls over 1000lbs does 50/50 city/highway

cahaak
02-14-2014, 08:37 PM
This is from my T1N. Front brakes at something like 145K and the rears at around 190K. If you do a lot of highway miles and are relatively easy on the brakes, they can last a long time. You should be able to see the wear bars of the outside pad through the wheel and the inners have the brake sensor which will give you maybe 500 miles of average driving to replace them once it goes off. Just want to reiterate, they can last a long time.

Chris

mean_in_green
02-14-2014, 09:02 PM
Ditto. Not even thinking about pads for at least 100,000...

OrioN
02-14-2014, 09:06 PM
I have been wondering the same thing. I have 68K and the front right is starting to sequel but I'm not sure if its due or just "dirty" I will be doing the transmission fluid change on monday and will have a peek then.

anybody need brakes at 68K? my van rarely hauls over 1000lbs does 50/50 city/highway

WOW... mine start squealing at 50 yards. :shifty:

I change mine @55k mile intervals on a very loaded 2500 (9500lbs). Rears wear just a tad less than front.

Cvollmar
02-14-2014, 10:18 PM
In fleet service mine last 10-20,000 miles, tires about the same.

OrioN
02-14-2014, 10:21 PM
In fleet service mine last 10-20,000 miles, tires about the same.

:eek:

Thanks..thank you very much... now I don't feel so bad after reading abooot 100k intervals!

Are you doing pads and rotors each time?

OrioN
02-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Ditto. Not even thinking about pads for at least 100,000...

KM's or Miles?

Uncle Dave
02-14-2014, 10:34 PM
WOW... mine start squealing at 50 yards. :shifty:

Im there with you - got 11K on my rig and they wail like banshees.

Not going to replace with oem pads.

UD

cahaak
02-15-2014, 04:19 AM
When they make noise, are the brake wear sensors on? Reason that I am asking is that I don't remember seeing screech extensions on the mounts that rub against the rotors to make noise when they wear down, but maybe I just forgot about them. When I changed my pads, I was down to just over 1 mm on the outside pads. Insides had a bit more and my wear sensors were not lit up yet. I replaced my pads with a set of Wagner Extreme duty pads the last time I changed them (both front and rear). They seem to be working fine, but it is really too soon mileage wise to really know how long they are lasting. Also, I replaced my front rotors when I did them, but on the back the rotors were not worn very much so I just replaced the pads and left the rotors on there. My brakes are very quiet, I never hear them.

Chris

atulin
02-15-2014, 06:08 AM
I'm just under 50k and the message to change them just came on today. It's also time to replace the original tires. Most of my driving is in town.

I just bought a 6.7 Cummins that uses the turbo as an exhaust brake. I wish we had that option on the sprinter to extend brake life. Plus it makes a pretty cool sound :thumbup:

mean_in_green
02-15-2014, 06:13 AM
KM's or Miles?

Miles. Existing ones are on 140,000 and have good life left. The van is heavy all the time and tows occasionally.

I'm finding the NCV3 and the T1N consistent in this regard.

dnshaf
02-15-2014, 07:13 AM
They typically last 100,000 mi on my OM642 and I purchase my pads and rotors from Europarts SD, give Justin a call and he'll hook you up. Also watch the caliper bolts, especially if you drive on roads that have been salted. The bolt will seize and your rear pad will wear out and the front pad will still look good.

kendall69
02-15-2014, 09:16 AM
I go 40-50K and only change the Rotors every other change then it's cheap change only doing the brakes and not the rotors.

lockrob
02-16-2014, 12:16 AM
75k out of first set .
Only replaced front at time only lasted 20k
Replaced all pads at once last time at 175k now
Still stopping.
You have ware sensors .
Wait till one goes sets the light.

Compstall
02-16-2014, 01:07 AM
Our Sprinters also only last between 20-30k before needing replacement. FYI, in my experience I've only been able to get ONE rotor turned for re-use. The rotors on these things just aren't thick enough, and by the time the pads are gone there just isn't enough meat left on the rotor to get them turned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bkhi
02-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Front brakes at 45k or so, back brakes about 500 miles later. I will change rotors next brake change.
I do 60/40 city/highway fully loaded

wmlog
02-17-2014, 03:55 AM
Brake pad wear actually has nothing to do with the mileage on your Sprinter. Brake pad wear is solely the result of how often you step on the brake pedal, how fast you were going at the time, and how hard you get on them! If you don't step on the brake pedal, there will be no brake pad wear!

Both the front and rear brake pads have electronic wear sensors that start to wear near the end of brake pad life. When brake pad wear is indicated on the instrument panel the brake pads are pretty much consumed and need to be replaced. The inner and outer pads should have similar wear, or you could have a caliper issue. If the caliper is hanging up, the pads will wear unevenly or even at an angle. Calipers must work freely. Always replace brake pads in sets, right and left, at the same time. The sensors need to be replaced also, but new sensors should come with quality brake pads. Rotors are not supposed to be turned, but I have seen them cleaned up a little for the first brake pad replacement, with no apparent negative affect.

The parking brake shoes on the rear axles have been known to fail, with the consumable material coming loose from the steel shoes, making an awful noise and causing parking brake failure.

A good visual inspection of brake pad wear can be accomplished with the removal of the wheels.

cvo
02-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Brake pad wear actually has nothing to do with the mileage on your Sprinter. Brake pad wear is solely the result of how often you step on the brake pedal, how fast you were going at the time, and how hard you get on them! If you don't step on the brake pedal, there will be no brake pad wear!

Both the front and rear brake pads have electronic wear sensors that start to wear near the end of brake pad life. When brake pad wear is indicated on the instrument panel the brake pads are pretty much consumed and need to be replaced. The inner and outer pads should have similar wear, or you could have a caliper issue. If the caliper is hanging up, the pads will wear unevenly or even at an angle. Calipers must work freely. Always replace brake pads in sets, right and left, at the same time. The sensors need to be replaced also, but new sensors should come with quality brake pads. Rotors are not supposed to be turned, but I have seen them cleaned up a little for the first brake pad replacement, with no apparent negative affect.

The parking brake shoes on the rear axles have been known to fail, with the consumable material coming loose from the steel shoes, making an awful noise and causing parking brake failure.

A good visual inspection of brake pad wear can be accomplished with the removal of the wheels.

Should I change the thread title to, How times have u stepped on ur brakes?

BTW, I dont think people count. :lol:

lockrob
02-18-2014, 12:58 AM
Just wanted to thank OP for this post.I answered it 2 days ago said 75k still going on brakes and my ware sensor went on today.

Graphite Dave
02-18-2014, 01:35 AM
Very difficult to equate when brakes need replacing by mileage. Someone who drives only on highways will get better brake system life than someone who drives 100% in the city. A person that had a Dad like mine who instilled in me that a driver that uses his brakes is not paying attention will have longer brake system life than someone that either is on the gas or on the brakes. Some do not realize that there is a third alternate called coasting with neither the gas pedal or the brake applied. My Dad once drove from Sacramento to the Bay Area without ever using the brakes. He got excellent brake system life and taught me his driving method. Not that I followed it when I was young. I wore out the tires on a 55 Volkswagen in 20,000 miles. Seems they wear out when you drive it sideways. My Dad said he thought Volkswagens got better tire mileage and I replied they must have been bad tires.

OrioN
02-18-2014, 01:41 AM

I wear sandals 90% of the time... does that count/factor into the equation?

Compstall
02-18-2014, 06:24 AM

I think you have some ground breaking information here. A real earth shaker.

jdcaples
02-19-2014, 12:02 AM
<snip> Some do not realize that there is a third alternate called coasting with neither the gas pedal or the brake applied. <snip>

I love coasting to a stop, esp on an uphill grade. I also like idling in heavy traffic. With enough space between me and the vehicle in front, I never apply my brakes in "stop'n'go" traffic.

-Jon

Graphite Dave
02-19-2014, 01:40 AM
I love coasting to a stop, esp on an uphill grade. I also like idling in heavy traffic. With enough space between me and the vehicle in front, I never apply my brakes in "stop'n'go" traffic.

-Jon

My Dad would be proud of you!