PDA

View Full Version : 2014 MPG Numbers and review

dnshaf
02-14-2014, 05:35 AM
Just finished a 11,048 mile trip across the US and back and here are some of my observations.
MPG for entire trip 21.24 mpg using 520 gallons of fuel. Average speed was appx. 70mph. Encountered numerous clipper storms 4 and a whopper in Eugene, OR. The van runs incredibly smooth with the 7 speed tranny, didn't downshift much only on larger grades. While on a steady grade in OD, the engine load read 92% in 6th it dropped to 78%. On a similar trip with my OM 642 V6 last September I drove 11,897 mi and averaged 16.52 mpg. I also owned a T1N and I would say that the OM651 beats it in mileage too. Same driving habits should give equal results. I don't have the luxury of keeping it in the 60-70 mph range unless the speed limit dictates it. However a 600 mile range on a tank of fuel is definitely possible.
Now for the review on the overall van; safety features first, bi-xenon headlights W/auto dimming. This is one of my favorites, I can see at night like its daytime! I had PIAA 3 ways on my 07 and this beats all my other lights burning at one time. The auto dimmer is nice but like another post said they do come on when alongside a Semi if you are passing slowly. Lane keeping assist, Very nice but can become annoying if you are a wanderer. Blind spot monitoring, This one is a must, should be on every vehicle on the road. Have to get used to looking at 3 things in the mirror though. Backup camera, screen on dash is dim and hard to see, but otherwise fine. Collision assist, not tested. Overall I really like my new van and the improvements MBZ did a great job!!:clapping:

rdominy
02-14-2014, 06:01 AM
How did it do going up moderately steep grades? We're you able to maintain speed?

Karl2014
02-14-2014, 06:17 AM
Let us know how the collision assist works ASAP :bounce:

dnshaf
02-14-2014, 06:27 PM
I really like the way it pulls a grade, and if its steep I just tap it down a gear or two. I usually have a load of about 1000lbs btw.

bobojay
02-15-2014, 03:38 AM
Going up grades is one of the things I like about the V6. Just put it in 3rd and go up at 45mph+/- at 2700 to 3k rpm, and you can accelerate whenever you need to and pass all the gassers. :)
This is with 2 different RV's that sit at 9500 to 10,500lbs all the time....

chromisdesigns
02-15-2014, 06:33 AM
Going up grades is one of the things I like about the V6. Just put it in 3rd and go up at 45mph+/- at 2700 to 3k rpm, and you can accelerate whenever you need to and pass all the gassers. :)
This is with 2 different RV's that sit at 9500 to 10,500lbs all the time....

Yep -- a lot of moderate grades are fine in 4th at 60-65 +/-. Even on the big hills, if I can get started at speed, our heavy 2013 3500 chassis will often climb right up in 4th. If you get stuck behind a slow driver and have to slow down, though, then it's down to 3rd, but I don't have any hesitation about climbing at 3200-3300 rpm, and 3rd will still let you accelerate on anything other than super-steep grades.

dnshaf
02-15-2014, 08:05 AM
While the I4 lacks a little punch compared to my V6 it does climb with less rpm. It seems like there's no hill too big!

Crush
02-16-2014, 02:25 PM
How much weight did you have in the van?

dnshaf
02-17-2014, 04:38 AM
I really like the way it pulls a grade, and if its steep I just tap it down a gear or two. I usually have a load of about 1000lbs btw.

Here you go Crush.

sailquik
02-17-2014, 06:39 AM
The 2014 OM-651 I4 with 2 stage turbocharging (2 separate turbos...one small to get you going quickly....one large to handle higher RPM + a waste gate that limits the boost to 36.9 PSIA) is mapped very differently than the OM-642 V6.
Power comes in on the I4 @ 1400 RPMS, but the most efficient power is in the 1900-2500 RPM Range.
With the V6 it's still most efficient in the 2600-3000 RPM Range.
The 7 speed makes dropping down to reduce the % engine LOD so easy. 5th-7th gears are pretty closely spaced.
You can run 65 MPH easily in with the I4 as it has more power in the 2500-3500 range, but not as fuel efficient up in the
RPM Range compared to the V6.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Crush
02-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Here you go Crush.

Gotcha.

I am going to be hauling around 2,000-2,500lbs between the shelving, tools, and material. I was hoping to see 24MPG like I've seen others talk about.

mog416
02-17-2014, 05:37 PM
I usually have about 1000 lbs on board and average 25 mpg driving into Seattle and around town then 30 miles back home. I've got as good as 28 mpg once or twice. The motor has about 3000 miles on it
John

2014 4cyl

zipacrosswater
02-17-2014, 06:10 PM
All this sounds great! Can't wait until it's time to order my 2015 Std Roof, 144" and do some night driving w/Bi-xenon headlights....and hopefully 4X4.

4wheels
02-17-2014, 06:46 PM
I usually have about 1000 lbs on board and average 25 mpg driving into Seattle and around town then 30 miles back home. I've got as good as 28 mpg once or twice. The motor has about 3000 miles on it
John

2014 4cyl

The numbers are so nice!! I want them in V6 with 7sp . I just placed an order on 2014 and I ordered a V6 just because of that post about the timing chain failure on 4cyl !!!!!!!!!
The V6 is now $910 option , plus the fuel filter is costs twice and , I think , 4cyl does not need 13qt of oil , so there is some nice savings .
I drove 4cyl , it is quieter , the power is not as punchy as in V6 , but I could leave with it , but as soon as I read about that timing chain failure on I4 , I put a red flag !
My:2cents:

bobojay
02-18-2014, 01:10 AM
The numbers are so nice!! I want them in V6 with 7sp . I just placed an order on 2014 and I ordered a V6 just because of that post about the timing chain failure on 4cyl !!!!!!!!!
The V6 is now $910 option , plus the fuel filter is costs twice and , I think , 4cyl does not need 13qt of oil , so there is some nice savings .
I drove 4cyl , it is quieter , the power is not as punchy as in V6 , but I could leave with it , but as soon as I read about that timing chain failure on I4 , I put a red flag !
My:2cents:

You do realize the V6 doesn't have the 7spd right?

Also, I think you're making a mistake worrying about the timing chain deal.....but you have to be comfortable with it

sailquik
02-18-2014, 01:32 AM
Timing chains fail on all vehicles.
The fact that the timing chain on the OM-651 is on the back of the engine might add a little to the cost to repair it,
but it should be under warranty for at least 35k miles.
Do we know how many miles were on the OM-651 engines that had failed timing chains.....where were these engines...
certainly not in the USA as they've only been available since Sept. 2013.
Roger

4wheels
02-18-2014, 01:55 AM
[QUOTE=bobojay;285212]You do realize the V6 doesn't have the 7spd right?

I do .

I meant , ---- I wish they put 7sp with V6 !!!-----

This way we would have the same 18% better fuel economy, plus power, plus proven engine !

4wheels
02-18-2014, 02:48 AM
Timing chains fail on all vehicles.
The fact that the timing chain on the OM-651 is on the back of the engine might add a little to the cost to repair it,
but it should be under warranty for at least 35k miles.
Do we know how many miles were on the OM-651 engines that had failed timing chains.....where were these engines...
certainly not in the USA as they've only been available since Sept. 2013.
Roger

You right , except that the timing chains fail on all vehicles... Timing belts - yes , but not chains .
I ve seen T1N with 800k and original timing chain.
I ve seen NCV3 with 650k and original timing chain .
And I ve seen even a million miles on older MB diesels ( in Europe , back in 1990- 2000 )
Google , Greek taxi driver and his W123 3.0 I6 . That's the world record.

MB and its strong double timing chain was like a benchmark . It was NEVER !!!! made for failing .
Now , with 4cyl ,it is a different story.
I guess the government makes all automakers to make more fuel efficient cars , so that weak timing chain on 4cyl is just part of it.

The chain failure was in Europe . At 50-100k. So , maybe you right , maybe we have here a different engine , or that part was updated .

To change the timing chain , it will not be cheap..
I have VW TDI and the dealer charges $2000-2600 to change the timing chain !!! The shops usually charge $1500-2000.

That is why I have this paranoia about timing chain ! Only one post about it and picture - and it made me to order a V6 .

I am all for fuel economy , I read all of those posts with 22-28mpg numbers with 4cyl and I am like , -- maybe I needed to order 4cyl ?
That is my only doubt .

sunnyside
02-18-2014, 03:47 AM
[QUOTE=bobojay;285212]You do realize the V6 doesn't have the 7spd right?

I wish they put 7sp with V6 !!!-----

It's really weird they don't, I bet they have a hole bunch and need to reduce inventory and then you will see them available with th V6

Crush
02-18-2014, 04:00 AM
I thought the V6 was at the end of its life cycle and something new was coming soon? I thought that's why they didn't bother pairing the new 7 speed with it.

sunnyside
02-18-2014, 04:14 AM
I thought the V6 was at the end of its life cycle and something new was coming soon? I thought that's why they didn't bother pairing the new 7 speed with it.

I really don't know, but when the motor home manufacturers put all that weight on a cab and chassis I really don't think the I4 would have better economy.

bobojay
02-18-2014, 06:29 PM
I suspect we won't see the 7spd on the V6, or a newer V6 design, till the next generation Sprinter coming in the '16-'17 timeframe I believe?
But then again, my opinion is worth what you are paying for it.....

bobojay
02-18-2014, 06:31 PM
I really don't know, but when the motor home manufacturers put all that weight on a cab and chassis I really don't think the I4 would have better economy.

Haven't heard of anyone as of yet building class C's with the 4 cyl. Class B vans yes, right now

Crush
02-18-2014, 06:44 PM
How much do the motorhome bodies weight?

I bought my 4 cylinder Sprinter with the intention to keep 2,000-2,500lbs of weight in the back at all times. That's well under the payload capacity and from I read I still should be getting excellent fuel mileage.

bobojay
02-18-2014, 11:41 PM
Our Sprinter class C Winnebago weighed right at 10,400 lbs with it's usual equipment list. Our current class B Sprinter van weighs right at 9800 lbs with the same stuff

Crush
02-19-2014, 01:44 AM
Our Sprinter class C Winnebago weighed right at 10,400 lbs with it's usual equipment list. Our current class B Sprinter van weighs right at 9800 lbs with the same stuff

Ok cool. Even with the weight I plan on putting in it, it'll still be well under the 8,600lb GVWR of my model.

sunnyside
02-19-2014, 10:56 PM
Haven't heard of anyone as of yet building class C's with the 4 cyl. Class B vans yes, right now

I was also refering to class C motor homes, the weight may be close to a class B van but the aerodynamics of the class C are sure to greatly reduce economy

Daybreak Express
02-25-2014, 11:05 AM
The I-4 timing chain issue played a part in my decision to go with the OM-642, though only a part. This evidently has been an issue in England and elsewhere that the engine has been in use for some time. Apparently failures have been occurring at around the 100k + mark. With the chain in back, the entire engine must be removed and the transmission/bell housing taken off to effect repairs. In my experience, chains normally don't break or come off; if they become sufficiently worn, valve and injection timing issues begin showing up. Timing belts are another story; I had one on a '83 Toyota pickup; it required a planned changeout at 100k; at 150k, the new one shredded when the injection pump bearing prematurely wore out. I replaced the belt; being in front, I had to remove the radiator, etc., but not the engine. Took the better part of a day, not including the time the pump was being rebuilt. In any case, I decided that I didn't want to deal with any possibility of timing chain issues, so I've made my bed with the V-6.

Crush
02-25-2014, 01:16 PM
I've seen a lot of real world MPG reports and it seems like the V6 averages about 18MPG while the new does does 24MPG. At $4+ a gallon for fuel, it would seem that after 100,000+ miles the savings would be more than enough to cover the possibility of the timing chain needing replacing, if ever.

V6 - $22,222
I4 - $16,666

Difference of $5,556 @ 100,000 miles @ $4/gallon.

sailquik
02-25-2014, 02:06 PM
OK,
How many of these timing chains have failed?
Does anyone really know?
Is it 10 failures....100 failures....1000 failures?
Since the OM-651 was specifically designed to fit a huge number of Mercedes Benz vehicles (both cars and trucks)
mounted longitudinally in Sprinters and some sedans/SUV....mounted transversely in some smaller vehicles....
it's been considered "the universal small diesel engine" and was designed with this multi-mounting feature in the
design concept.
So if there were 1,000 failures in 100,000 engines that's 1% failure rate.
That seems pretty acceptable to me.
Of the timing chains that failed @ <= 100 k miles, how many were maintained with the correct products,
by MB trained techs?
Has anyone tried to have a broken timing chain repaired under warranty?
I'm sure not here in the USA....there aren't enough of these engines yet....or does anyone know how many
of them are cruising US roads in sedans or SUVs?
Seems to me we will need to "wait and see" if this is really a problem or a tiny blip on the radar.
Hope this helps,
Roger
P.S. at times, even though the weather has only warmed up into the 60's I'm seeing as much as 24.5 mpg at times.
Fuel mileage in ~15K miles is.... worst...19.3 mpg....best 24.5 mpg and we have had the coldest winter in a very long time.

sunnyside
02-25-2014, 03:54 PM
I've seen a lot of real world MPG reports and it seems like the V6 averages about 18MPG while the new does does 24MPG. At $4+ a gallon for fuel, it would seem that after 100,000+ miles the savings would be more than enough to cover the possibility of the timing chain needing replacing, if ever.

V6 - $22,222
I4 - $16,666

you might have the V6 MPG average about right but I have not seen any data to support the 24MPG you advise on the I4, more like 21/22MPG, that would be more in align with MB data also at about a 20% increase

dante
02-25-2014, 06:01 PM
I have a 2012 lowtop swb passenger van which had 20K miles before our 3000 mile trip to FL (we live in MA) this past week. This is the 2nd time we've done this trip using our Sprinter.

I computed the mileage for the whole trip to be around 19.7 mpg (which cost around $600).

Best I did was 22.5mpg going 65-70mph. Worst was 17.5mpg going around 75-80mph. This was with 2 adults, 4 kids and luggage.

I wonder what the 4cylinder would get for this kind of trip? For the record, I am very happy with the mileage I'm getting for such a big vehicle. Before buying the sprinter, I was considering the Nissan NV V8 passenger van - I just googled the mileage you get on that van and people are reporting MPG in the 12-16 range.

sunnyside
02-25-2014, 07:19 PM
MB boasts a 10 to 20% improvment in fuel economy with the I4, if they could increase those #'s
they would, trust me.

If towing or head winds or 75MPH +, that percentage will decrease significantly

Crush
02-25-2014, 07:53 PM
MB boasts a 10 to 20% improvment in fuel economy with the I4, if they could increase those #'s
they would, trust me.

If towing or head winds or 75MPH +, that percentage will decrease significantly

So all the people who posted that they are getting 24MPG are wrong and your assertion that Mercedes isn't being conservative with their numbers for the first year of release is correct?

mog416
02-25-2014, 09:19 PM
80 mile round trip today into the city. 27mpg according to the dash gage

2014 4cyl

sunnyside
02-25-2014, 10:42 PM
So all the people who posted that they are getting 24MPG are wrong and your assertion that Mercedes isn't being conservative with their numbers for the first year of release is correct?

No, my assertion is there is not a 33.3% difference in fuel economy from a I4 compared to a
V6. You stated 18mpg for a V6 and 24mpg for a I4. I believe this to be inaccurate with all conditions equal

Crush
02-25-2014, 11:00 PM
No, my assertion is there is not a 33.3% difference in fuel economy from a I4 compared to a
V6. You stated 18mpg for a V6 and 24mpg for a I4. I believe this to be inaccurate with all conditions equal

I based my statement off of the posts I have seen here from people with real world experience. There is one of them in this very thread a few posts back.

What are you basing your assumption off of?

peteaeonix
02-25-2014, 11:26 PM
So much depends on (1) specific model Sprinter, (2) typical loaded weight, (3) how fast one drives and how quickly they accelerate from a standstill, and (4) city vs highway mileage. The tall vans will have more air resistance vs. the shorter vans. A van built out as an RV (carrying around a significant load at all times) will use more fuel than one that only hauls a few passengers, infrequently. Obviously, a lead foot will increase fuel use very significantly. I know, from my experience, that I'm not going to be as fuel conscious as many, as I prefer to cruise highways at the speed limit when traffic allows. I note, too, that many miles involving short trips around town, will eat up a lot of fuel. Travel on a secondary highway (e.g. a back road) is when I get some of the best mileage ... in most vehicles speeds somewhere between 35 and 50 mph is often where the trade off between speed and fuel economy peak. Speeds under 35 are less economic, since the engine has to run a lot but not go very far. Speeds above 50 start giving up fuel to overcome more and more air resistance as speed increases.

Bottom line -- it accomplishes little to debate one person's experience vs. another without knowing all the factors of each situation. Note: I used to have a Blue Bird Wanderlodge RV. 48,000 lbs when loaded for travel. The Detroit Diesel Series 60 engine (470 HP) delivered between 5 and 6 mpg in the western U.S. (Rockies and west) -- the main factor was the large number of hills, mountains, etc. East of the rockies I got between 6 and 7 mpg. It's much flatter so the number of serious grades encountered did not drag down fuel economy as much. On one run (over several days) we were passing through the Natchez Trace parkway -- a National Park -- with 45 mph speed limit. I got nearly 8 mpg during that 3 days of travel.

As for the Sprinter, get yourself a Scanguage II -- it gives "instantaneous" MPG (the MPG you're getting at that very moment) and "tank" MPG -- the average MPG since last filling the fuel tank. It has several other fuel efficiency modes to play with as well. I noticed that once I got the Scanguage, I improved my MPG by about 5 to 10%. Just seeing the figures modified my behavior and I backed off from fuel wasting habits that I hadn't realized I'd been doing. But I still cruise at the limit on the freeways, etc. At least I know that I'm not using fuel without some thought to the process. (Note, get one for the diesel engine. Scan guage has some features that are unavailable on a Sprinter due either to lack of sensors or inability to 'parse' the proprietary codes Mercedes uses.)

sunnyside
02-25-2014, 11:36 PM
I based my statement off of the posts I have seen here from people with real world experience. There is one of them in this very thread a few posts back.

What are you basing your assumption off of?
For one thing, I own a 2012 170'' and consistently get 21.5 and the worst I have ever got was 18 and that was only once while traveling at 80mph for 360 miles. Real world, my money.

Sailquik has posted the most data [alot] with the new I4, he is right at 23mph average, no way around those numbers.

If you search more you will find the average mpg for the V6 is far better than 18mpg with a van, not a class C motor home witch would be much less and would be even less if powered by the I4 IMHO

Karl2014
02-26-2014, 12:45 AM
I'm going with 20% better mpg with 4 cyl, not 10 or 33... but that is trusting MB marketing and I'll have to update my real world numbers when I get my 4 cyl in a week or two... and it's low roof with minimal weight of camping / toy hauler gear.

sailquik
02-26-2014, 12:58 AM
Actually,
The original and official Mercedes Benz Sprinter USA number was an 18% improvement over the OM-642 3.0 liter V6 with the new
OM-651 two stage turbocharged 2.143 liter I4. It has 2 separate turbo units...a small low inertia turbo for better low RPM operation
and a larger (more inertia) turbo for higher RPM operation, PLUS a genuine waste set to lift @ 36.9 PSIA MAP.
I've been doing a little better than the 18% most of the time, and can't wait for the better mileage attainable with the better summer
fuel.
Hope this helps,
Roger
As suggested, actual mileage....calculated at the fuel pump when you refuel is very dependent a a vast number of variables.
Yep, if you drive the new 2014 I-4 OM-651 between 75 mph and the speed limiter @ 83 mph, your mileage will suffer,
but the same is true of the earlier and current OM-642 3.0 V6....above 75 mph to 83 mph and the mileage won't be as good
as it is @ 65-70 MPH.
Another major variable is the rear end ratio.
I got a long term average of 18-19 mpg with three (2010/2011/2012) 170" wb 519 (3500 USA) dually V6 OM-642 high top/short back
Sprinters with the 4.182 Rear end and the 5G-Tronic (NAG-1) 5 speed.
I'm getting 22-23 mpg and getting better with the same exact size vehicle, same rear end ratio, same load, so a substantial increase in
overall mileage for the 1st 15k miles.
Roger

dante
02-26-2014, 02:38 AM
Based on your suggestion - I went looking for the Scangauge II and found one on Amazon ScanGauge II Ultra Compact 3-in-1 Automotive Computer (http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Automotive-Computer-Customizable-Real-Time/dp/B000AAMY86). Is this the one you are referring to?

As for the Sprinter, get yourself a Scanguage II -- it gives "instantaneous" MPG (the MPG you're getting at that very moment) and "tank" MPG -- the average MPG since last filling the fuel tank. It has several other fuel efficiency modes to play with as well. I noticed that once I got the Scanguage, I improved my MPG by about 5 to 10%. Just seeing the figures modified my behavior and I backed off from fuel wasting habits that I hadn't realized I'd been doing. But I still cruise at the limit on the freeways, etc. At least I know that I'm not using fuel without some thought to the process. (Note, get one for the diesel engine. Scan guage has some features that are unavailable on a Sprinter due either to lack of sensors or inability to 'parse' the proprietary codes Mercedes uses.)

sailquik
02-26-2014, 03:03 AM
Dante,
Yes, the Amazon.com link is for the Scan Gauge II and that's the one you want, unless you want something a little harder to use, that costs less, but has
the ability to monitor more parameters.
I personally think 4 PIDs is about all I want to watch.
I just look at the ones I've found to be the most important.
% engine Load (LOD)
Speed (digital and accurate to 0.1 mph with 2 GPS units)
RPM (so I can watch for a reduction in RPM which means the % Load is higher than the engine can manage.
Temp (Deg F)....GPH (current fuel flow)....MAP (current turbo boost output)
I vary the last one depending on what exactly I'm trying to accomplish.
Temp (when towing heavy)
GPH (when I'm trying to get the best mileage)
MAP ( current turbo boost level, but with the waste gate on the 2014 is kinda moot as the waste gate dumps @ 36.9 PSIA)
Roger

bobojay
02-27-2014, 02:03 AM
dante, the price Amazon has can be beat by about $25.00 if you look around online a bit. I paid $135.00 delivered a couple months ago

sunnyside
02-27-2014, 02:28 AM
Use PROMO CODE AA15 and it's 135.00 shipped. Here ya go

http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/69A5754A0A0.aspx?kc=ffproduct&kpid=5754&k_clickid=4b68db7f-9e46-8c28-0bad-00007a595be1&k_trackingid=274x&gclid=CJiNtvOg67wCFUaBfgodgLIATA

trek130
02-27-2014, 02:41 AM
2014 Roadtrek SS Agile,,,latest 500 mile highway trip averaged 26.1mpg

sunnyside
02-27-2014, 02:52 AM
2014 Roadtrek SS Agile,,,latest 500 mile highway trip averaged 26.1mpg
Exactly about 18% better fuel economy than I get when I drive my 170 WB V6 at the same speed as you did on your trip, I see a of average 22 when I drive 58 to 65 MPH

Jammes
02-27-2014, 04:47 AM
Dante,
Yes, the Amazon.com link is for the Scan Gauge II and that's the one you want, unless you want something a little harder to use, that costs less, but has
the ability to monitor more parameters.
I personally think 4 PIDs is about all I want to watch.
I just look at the ones I've found to be the most important.
% engine Load (LOD)
Speed (digital and accurate to 0.1 mph with 2 GPS units)
RPM (so I can watch for a reduction in RPM which means the % Load is higher than the engine can manage.
Temp (Deg F)....GPH (current fuel flow)....MAP (current turbo boost output)
I vary the last one depending on what exactly I'm trying to accomplish.
Temp (when towing heavy)
GPH (when I'm trying to get the best mileage)
MAP ( current turbo boost level, but with the waste gate on the 2014 is kinda moot as the waste gate dumps @ 36.9 PSIA)
Roger

I agree.. :clapping: :clapping:

http://www.bediro.com/images/3/w1.png

LetsGo
02-28-2014, 09:32 PM
60 mile drive today in 2104 2.1 liter 4cyl Cargo 144"wb high roof, dash gauge reading 26.1 mpg.

GaryJ
02-28-2014, 10:51 PM
Has anybody verified their dash gauge reading with an actual miles driven vs. fuel used to refill at the same pump? I've seen some rather optimistic dash gauges in my time and would love to know the true story with Sprinters.

Gary

mbgtown
03-01-2014, 06:13 PM
I have many of my 2014, 4 cyl buyers who are telling me between 22 to 26 mpg, but I have one owner, with about 2000 miles on his 144 low roof, with a Sportsmobile conversion inside that on a recent trip from Austin to home in Dallas, 175 miles, was able to get 30 mpg. Here is the link to a picture of his dash.

http://sprinterguy.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/2014-sprinter-2500-144-low-roof-crew-van-with-a-sportsmobile-conversion-check-out-his-fuel-economy/

30 mpg (http://sprinterguy.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/2014-sprinter-2500-144-low-roof-crew-van-with-a-sportsmobile-conversion-check-out-his-fuel-economy/)

GaryJ
03-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Bump

Has anybody verified their dash gauge reading with an actual miles driven vs. fuel used to refill at the same pump? I've seen some rather optimistic dash gauges in my time and would love to know the true story with Sprinters.

Gary

sailquik
03-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Gary J,
So far, with 16,000 miles, the dash MPG readout is giving readings within a couple of miles per gallon when compared with the calculated miles/gallons at refueling stops.
On my twice weekly 320 mile commutes, the computed fuel mileage is usually about 1 gallon more than the MB dash readout.
Roger

dnshaf
03-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Hi Roger, Got home in Cali. last night and the latest trip numbers are in, 9245 miles at 440gallons = 21.01 MPG average, some stops included Las Vegas, Phoenix, Indy, Philly, Boston, Orient Point LI, Virginia Beach, Nashville, Dallas, San Antonio, Denver, Vegas, LA, and San Jose. Lots of headwind on the return trip. Over 23,000 on the I4 now and yes like you I am averaging appx a 1mpg difference from the readout although it does vary. Best leg 539mi @ 21.91=24.6mpg. Worst leg 307 miles @ 17.73 gal =17.31MPG. These are actual numbers in real world conditions. In areas where the speed limit allows I will do 80mph and travel at 75mph for many miles and as you know wind can be a mpg killer. I do not doubt that you can get 25-26mpg if you keep it under 65mp. When you get over 70 it will drop considerably but even doing 78mph I have averaged 21-22mph. 30mpg? mbgtown, must have been a really nice tailwind!!!!

4wheels
03-02-2014, 12:45 AM
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w365/volynhuta/IMAG0894_zpse3309867.jpg (http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/volynhuta/media/IMAG0894_zpse3309867.jpg.html)

4wheels
03-02-2014, 12:48 AM
Hi Roger, Got home in Cali. last night and the latest trip numbers are in, 9245 miles at 440gallons = 21.01 MPG average, some stops included Las Vegas, Phoenix, Indy, Philly, Boston, Orient Point LI, Virginia Beach, Nashville, Dallas, San Antonio, Denver, Vegas, LA, and San Jose. Lots of headwind on the return trip. Over 23,000 on the I4 now and yes like you I am averaging appx a 1mpg difference from the readout although it does vary. Best leg 539mi @ 21.91=24.6mpg. Worst leg 307 miles @ 17.73 gal =17.31MPG. These are actual numbers in real world conditions. In areas where the speed limit allows I will do 80mph and travel at 75mph for many miles and as you know wind can be a mpg killer. I do not doubt that you can get 25-26mpg if you keep it under 65mp. When you get over 70 it will drop considerably but even doing 78mph I have averaged 21-22mph. 30mpg? mbgtown, must have been a really nice tailwind!!!!

These are actual numbers in real world conditions. :thumbup:
Good numbers and they will get improve a little bit .
Dnshaf are you an expediter?

4wheels
03-02-2014, 12:56 AM
60 mile drive today in 2104 2.1 liter 4cyl Cargo 144"wb high roof, dash gauge reading 26.1 mpg.

I posted a picture with my mpg on 08 NCV3 , 76k .
60 miles or 110 will not tell you the true mpg .
Dshaf gives more real numbers in a real world . He is speeding and it DOES hurts mpg , but 30mpg on someone's dash ??? same like 25mpg on my dash {I ve seen 26.5 , just no picture }

Nhuskys
03-02-2014, 01:10 AM
I drove my 2008 V6/5spd 3500/144 200,000 miles and now a 2014 4cyl/7spd 12,000 miles and mpg improvement is right on target at 18%.

dnshaf
03-02-2014, 01:25 AM
Hey 4wheels, no I'm not an expediter, and in some parts of the country the speed limit is 80mph. Taking a photo showing high mpg average is not a big deal, as there are times when I get really great mileage but that's when conditions and speed are optimum.

4wheels
03-02-2014, 01:34 AM
I drove my 2008 V6/5spd 3500/144 200,000 miles and now a 2014 4cyl/7spd 12,000 miles and mpg improvement is right on target at 18%.

30mpg in someone's post .. with the tailwind ? yes down the hill ? yes
so 18% just about right

sailquik
03-02-2014, 02:00 AM
4wheels,
I got 30.5 mpg over 25 miles yesterday sailing/driving downwind with about 25+ mph tailwind.
On the way up, same road/same 25+ mph windspeed...right on the Sprinter's nose I got 18.5 mpg.
The mathematical average would be 24.5 mpg @ 60-61 mph with some 50 mph/35 mph and 25 mph
thrown in.
This was on a nearly perfectly flat level road.
Read about it here:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31584
Roger

sunnyside
03-02-2014, 02:58 AM
deleted

sunnyside
03-02-2014, 03:05 AM

30mpg in someone's post .. with the tailwind ? yes down the hill ? yes
so 18% just about right

Huh:thinking:

photogravity
03-02-2014, 03:25 AM

V6 - $22,222
I4 - $16,666

Great analysis on this. Far too often we base our decisions on gut reaction.

dnshaf
03-02-2014, 11:12 PM
I think this might call for some clarification, I also own a V6 that I have put 400,000mi on and I find that I get at least 18 to 20% increase in mileage with the new I4. Remember these are the same driving conditions and driver with both vans. I am very happy MBZ didn't come out with some projected numbers that were not true. Also just to clear up something else, I drive across the country once a month both ways and my averages reflect that, but know this, if I was only driving on either coast (not the Midwest) my average fuel mileage would be a lot more like Sailquik's. The Midwest has higher speed limits and a lot more wind, and that tends to bring down my average MPG quite a bit. Hope this helps. Dan

bobojay
03-03-2014, 01:10 AM
dnshaf, cross country once a month. Are you an expediter? Or have a regular load that often? Just curious

Boxster1971
03-03-2014, 02:52 AM
I've been comparing my dash MPG reading with the Econ mode "at the pump" calculations on my Garmin GPS. The MB reading is consistently about 0.2 MPG low, so I'd consider conservative and not overstating the MPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dnshaf
03-03-2014, 06:44 PM
dnshaf, cross country once a month. Are you an expediter? Or have a regular load that often? Just curious

No not an expediter and load varies a few hundred pounds.

dnshaf
03-13-2014, 06:57 PM
MPG Update, drove 482 miles yesterday from central Cal to LA up over the Grapevine (both ways) with a 400lb load (very small) and averaged 24.61mpg. Very strong headwind going up the GV from the Bakersfield side and came back at night with minimal wind. Lots of city driving and traffic in and around LA.
Dan

dnshaf
04-05-2014, 04:08 AM
This will be my last post in this series as I have just finished another trip across the country and back. I am at 34k now on my I4 and its running great except for a slight noise coming from the back of the block.
This trip was from CA to SD then to MA and down to DC and VA then to IL then down to I40 back to CA. Total miles 8525 and gallons used 410. Average MPG 20.79. Lots of strong wind on this trip and I'm posting several photos of the dash showing the good and the bad. Note the range of 742 miles AFTER going 180 miles on that tank!! These were all on relatively flat legs of the journey. I love this combo of engine and tranny, compared to my 3.0 V6 I will never go back! As far as I'm concerned the I4 has made the V6 obsolete except for the 1ton DWD and motorhomes. Oh I was kidding about the noise! Smooth as silk for all you timing chain worriers!

ReGULT51
04-05-2014, 06:10 AM
Drove my 2014 3500/144" for the first time today. OM651 engine (4 cylinder/7G). Paneled and insulated cargo van with a rear AC/Heat system, so not much weight. Freeway driving with Friday drive-home traffic. AC on 75% of the time.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=230&pictureid=1180

Sprinter pm
08-23-2015, 08:30 AM
2014 , I4 170" high roof .
Getting 34 mpg ,some times

wildimaginations
08-24-2015, 01:35 AM
I went on a road trip from Danville, Ca to Reno, NV to Twin Falls, ID to Yellowstone National Park, Wy to Salt Lake City, UT and back. The whole trip was over 2k miles alone so I added up all of my gas purchases and figured out my mileage at around 23 mpg. This is going 75 most of the way. I don't have mpg readout option on my dash so everything is by miles driven and fill ups. This way, I can keep it real.

I remember doing a 190 mile run from Livermore, Ca to Lost Hills, Ca early in the morning to do an experiment. I cruised at 60 mph the whole time and got 29.61 mpg. I was sooo close to 30 mpg.

velvetsprinter
08-24-2015, 06:28 PM
2015 v6 HR170 passenger with 10,000 miles My first diesel.

Driving at around 78mph across country getting about 16-17 mpg
Driving around town for first 7,000 miles 13-15 mpg
I am told mpg gets better as engine breaks in over time.
Is this true?
What are v6 guys getting now days since this post started years ago?