PDA

View Full Version : Need help no start

tat1642
02-10-2014, 04:35 PM
I'm at north Baltimore MD, Timonuim, Hotel parking lot, 11:30 am on Monday.
My 2500 t1n, no start. It's been totally fine everyday but not this morning.
Can you advice or if you know anyone help me out in the area?

Glow plug heat ok, starter works, engine run 1 seconds and stop.
No warning indicated on panel.

I did:
I tried heated filter by hot water.
Checked connector around filter and air sensor.
I checked all fuses.
I changed new fuel filter.

Please let me know ASAP.
My cell is 917-496-4413
Thank you very much.

surlyoldbill
02-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Probably air in the fuel lines because it starts and the shuts down. What year Sprinter? The 02-03 have clear plastic fuel lines coming from the fuel filter, and you can SEE the air in the lines. It takes an extended cranking to prime this system. Some people have said that the fuel hose in/from the fuel tank can get loose, sucking air, especially if the tank is low.

Hope this helps.

tat1642
02-10-2014, 07:00 PM
I spoke with Dr A, he said probably glow plug issue. I just called AAA to help battery jump, try a few more times.
If someone in the area checking this, please advice any good sprinter service here Baltimore area. Thank you.

It's 2006

surlyoldbill
02-10-2014, 07:28 PM
If it's above 40 degrees, it will start without glowplugs, but not easy. I've started in 15 degrees with only three glowplugs, again, not easy and a lot of tries.

NelsonSprinter
02-10-2014, 09:39 PM
may find help from here http://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=149

I'd suggest using 1 squirt of diesel quik starting fluid sprayed into EGR for half second , might give it the heat it needs to go. A lot will kill the engine, but a little is enough for a kickstart.

montana
02-11-2014, 04:39 AM
had the same thing happen to me the other day ended up being my maf sensor I unplugged start right no problem It will go into limp mode sometimes I have a used sensor coming .....let us know what it was

tat1642
02-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Towed by AAA flat bed, 2 nights of Hotel, so many phone calls to find domestic parts, running around to get parts and a lot of money paid to Dodge dealer service..... now I am home.

I special thanks to Doktor Andy. He helped me a lot on the phone. He was a great partner for MYSIDE, dealer technician did great job but mainly he started to know symptom by Andy's little advice.

There was multiple symptoms happened same time at the hotel parking lot in the morning.
When I try to starting several times, Starter motor parts(curved cast iron part on photo) cracked and came off inside of the space between engine and transmission. Each time crank, there was metal grinding sound, of course no start. after towed by AAA to Dodge dealership, their Sprinter Mechanic thought engine totally KILLED and DIED by starting fluid because he has never heard that sound from Sprinter engine before. Scanning showing MAF and Glow Plug #2. We left my van at dealer heated garage over night and charged dead battery over night.

Andy pointed out important things that we all have to move over from idea of "starting fluid" because if we think this is problem then we can't go forward finding any problems.
Andy suggested to turning crank pulley by hand which we started finding out all and everything.

I have a new starter motor and a new MAF sensor now.
I was lucky enough to found starter motor at Freightliner (it was very cheap, $206 OEM) and drove there to pick up by dealer mini-van. They were in hurry to get this done before snow storm, they suggested me if I want to Call around parts shop in town and run to get parts. I did it and found one, they installed it quickly.
Technician said MAF shows 0. we un-plugged and motor run okay after changed starter motor, so MAF was problem and need to replace. MAF sensor was very expensive($546) at the Dealer and in stock at parts department, no choice before the snow storm.

After all, I immediately changed Oil+Filter at library parking lot across the dealer because dealer technician suggested me to change them ASAP because starting fluid contaminated.
That's all, Now all working very fine.

I arrived home safe before massive snow storm :)
:cheers:

surlyoldbill
02-14-2014, 12:44 AM
Sorry for this bit of bad news, but Bosch MAF sensor can be purchased for $150 on ebay. You might want to check on your air filter, somehow something, dust or water, got through and messed up the MAF. The air filters are notorious for not sealing correctly without extra care taken during installation. Mine went bad when some water got through during a crazy rainstorm and 2" of water on the highway.

Beatcable
02-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Hey Guys again thanks for the write up! my 2006 Dodge Sprinter would not start this morning at -5 F. So as any Diesel owner would think Gelled fuel after all the warming efforts no starting. then I came back to read the write up on No Starting and came to this MAF sensor, I disco the connector and fired right up. So fuel was not the issue. I looked on eBay saw the write up but the price went up least expensive on i can find is $280. I guess my question can I run the Sprinter for a few days till it arrives ?

Thanks for all you do
Beatcable

tat1642
02-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Interesting point to think "Diesel owner would think Gelled fuel after all the warming efforts no starting"....

I am sure fuel company add winter chemicals also we diesel owner use additives for each fuel. I am thinking maybe MAF sensor is not good in winter time? Freeze or damaged by salt on the road?

But, anyways, such an expensive little plastic tube.
TAT

Hey Guys again thanks for the write up! my 2006 Dodge Sprinter would not start this morning at -5 F. So as any Diesel owner would think Gelled fuel after all the warming efforts no starting. then I came back to read the write up on No Starting and came to this MAF sensor, I disco the connector and fired right up. So fuel was not the issue. I looked on eBay saw the write up but the price went up least expensive on i can find is $280. I guess my question can I run the Sprinter for a few days till it arrives ?

Thanks for all you do
Beatcable

whitedog
07-17-2014, 02:38 AM
had the same thing happen to me the other day ended up being my maf sensor I unplugged start right no problem It will go into limp mode sometimes I have a used sensor coming .....let us know what it was

Thank you. I had this problem tonight after rebuilding the engine and I tell you, it was heart breaking. Then I read your post and since I am at the point where I will try any crazy idea even if I'm sure it won't work, I tried it. And it started.

Does this mean it needs a new MAF?

surlyoldbill
07-17-2014, 02:54 AM
If you get a new MAF, don't get a cheap no-name one, get a Bosch. Doesn't need to be "OEM", but should be quality. I had a cheap one and it failed VERY quickly.

whitedog
07-17-2014, 04:04 AM
Thanks Bill. Do you know if this no start thing means that the MAF is certainly bad and replacing it will fix the starting problem? I am afraid that somehow, unplugging the MAF sets some default value that is the real problem and unplugging the MAF just masks it.

Aqua Puttana
07-17-2014, 03:09 PM
... I am afraid that somehow, unplugging the MAF sets some default value that is the real problem and unplugging the MAF just masks it.
That is exactly what happens. So no, unplugging the MAF and improving the operating is not a guarantee that the MAF is the exact problem part.

Have you scanned for codes using a Sprinter specific scan tool? There may be information stored in the ECM. vic

whitedog
07-17-2014, 05:09 PM
I left the boost hose below the coolant tank off of the intercooler.

Unplugging the MAF gave the ECU a default value to allow it to start and run.

stojanovich
07-27-2014, 10:53 AM
my 2004 2500 has been in a dodge dealer in Langley BC with a no start issue for 10 days. I've already paid over $1000 in tow bills to get it back from Seattle to BC as I could not fins anyone in the Seattle area to fix it after trying 2 garages who told me "sure tow it here we'll get you on your way'. She cranks but does not ignite.

surlyoldbill
07-27-2014, 05:40 PM
my 2004 2500 has been in a dodge dealer in Langley BC with a no start issue for 10 days. I've already paid over $1000 in tow bills to get it back from Seattle to BC as I could not fins anyone in the Seattle area to fix it after trying 2 garages who told me "sure tow it here we'll get you on your way'. She cranks but does not ignite.

There are only a handful of things that cause crank but no start.
1. Low rail pressure (bad injector, bad fuel pump(s), bad or disconnected rail pressure sensor)
2. disconnected or bad cam or crank sensor
3. Low voltage at the battery or at the starter (bad chassis ground cables or battery not charging)
4. something else (fill in the____________________).

Most of the long term T1N owners here can figure out which of these things are occurring in the driveway without any special or expensive tools, but having a scanner that works with the Sprinter helps a lot. Sorry you had to resort to garages and towing. Maybe you need to go down an educate the dealer on the major known issues regarding crank but no start, starting with low rail pressure and the "leak off test". In my experience, a dealer shop will simply hook it up to a scanner and read codes. If no codes show up, they will tell you it's fine, and ask you to arrange a tow truck to get it out of their way. (I had a bad injector that wouldn't allow me to start when hot, and that is what the dealer did. This forum and Dr A got me running again asap).