PDA

View Full Version : 107 CEL, what's this plug to, turbo heat shield needed?

Nuke
02-09-2014, 08:57 PM
So I finished replacing most of the stuff up front
H2O pump, harmonic balancer, idlers and tensioner, 150 amp alt, turbo resonator replacement tube,
tightened back bolts to HP fuel pump, fuel, oil, air and tranny filters, new tranny adapter
removed all hoses, cleaned in parts cleaner with simple green & inspected
removed all electrical plugs I could find, removed, cleaned & inspected sensors,
plugged back in using dielectric grease.
Had green antifreeze so flushed w/distilled water 3x & added 1.5 gal G05

When I turned on the key I got a 107 code, cleared it with scan gage and she fired right up.
Inspected for leaks, shut off started again, same thing with the 107 after turning on key
clear it and it stays gone. Took for test drive.

Sounded much quitter even with the resonator replacement, must have had some bad parts in that serpentine drive system.

So I believe if my memory serves me right 107 is MAP low.
Being it comes on before I even start I'm wondering if maybe I didn't get something plugged back in right. Only thing is not too sure which plug or it's location.

Seems to drive fine without any problems, just keeps coming on before I start and I have to clear it.

Next question is what is this plug to? The green one
I am sure you can tell from my avatar that my van has a brush guard and hitch
so the front bumper has been modified, like the air temp sensor just lays in-front of the grill
The other plug is to the fan, but I honestly can't remember if this plug was connected to anything when I pulled off the brush guard and bumper before going to the shop.

Any ideas? I can't find its mate anywhere in the vicinity.

Last question is,

Does it hurt anything to NOT replace the turbo heat shield?
I pulled it off a while ago, just to get acquainted with what's up there
It just seems it is easier to keep an eye on things with it removed.
It doesn't get very hot up here in WA
but I'm wondering if it is more significant in warmers climates?

Thanks all
wade

Mike5999
02-09-2014, 09:13 PM
is it your ambient air sensor? if you are missing that sensor you will get a code
http://europarts-sd.com/ambienttemperaturesensor2002-2006.asp

thats what it looks like. check and see if you have that sensor right by the horn.

Nuke
02-09-2014, 09:21 PM
No I have the ambient air sensor and fan motor plugs accounted for, they're plugged into something
I'm wondering about the one with green on it resting on the step, can't seem to find what or where it ought to plug into

rbrennick
02-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Horn. :bounce:

Nuke
02-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Ahhhh Haaa YES!

The horn that I tested and had power to the connector but the horn didn't work!

I had a revelation as soon as I saw those 4 little letters and had to laugh at myself.

I read an article about adding 4 Cadillac D, F & A, C horns as being the loudest OEM horns on the market,
So been picking through the bone yards to hook them back up

Thanks rbrennick

Now does anyone have any opinions on running without the Turbo heat shield installed
Or the 107 code?

Thanks again
wade

Nuke
02-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Was at Fred Myer gas station yesterday getting fuel
and while checking under the hood, I played with all of the
sensor plugs I could find.
The one on the Air cleaner box was plugged in
but not "LATCHED" in
so I pressed in harder and got it to click.
Was distracted entering data into my ScanGuage
as I had just set up a TNK MPG Xguage
and it was after the second start when I noticed
my 107 code no longer popped up.

So problem solved.

Now the last remaining question is
Am I hurting anything driving around with the Turbo Shield removed?

wade

Oilburner
02-28-2014, 07:54 PM
? Never had one, since I own my van.. been 4th year.

photogravity
03-01-2014, 01:41 AM
? Never had one, since I own my van.. been 4th year.

Hmmm, OK. I was just wondering about that myself. I got my Sprinter from the body shop about a week ago and when I went under the hood today I thought that something looked different. I then realized things looked different because the heat shield was missing. As it turns out then shop had already called and left a message about it but I somehow missed it. They're dropping it in the mail for me and I'll put it on when the engine is cool and when I have a few minutes. :)

It may not necessarily be needed, but probably should be there for the sake of safety.