Code p1188 help

Austinite

Hi: Is the Fuel shutoff solenoid the electrical connector to the fuel pump ? If it's damage is there a replacement or has to be entire pump replaced?
Thanks
Manuel

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Hi: Is the Fuel shutoff solenoid the electrical connector to the fuel pump ? If it's damage is there a replacement or has to be entire pump replaced?
Thanks
Manuel
For the readers that don't remember, in https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30484

T1N. 03-3500. Is there any difference between the one with the touch screen and the older models?
I understand about the special card for Sprinters and cables
Thanks
Manuel
Did you get the DRB-III?

If not, what scan tool pulled did you use to pull code p1188?

Awesome member Vic (Aqua Puttana) writes:

Except for RV conversions which could lag by a model year, all NAFTA 2001 - 2003 OM612 diesel engines have a low pressure mechanical fuel pump mounted on the front of the engine. All NAFTA model year 2004 - 2006 OM647 diesel engines have an in tank electric fuel pump. All NAFTA V6 OM642 diesel engines (2007 and up) also have an in tank electric fuel pump.

The 2001 - 2003 fuel system "pulls" fuel out of the tank which means that for practical purposes the fuel filter and all fuel lines before the inlet of the low pressure mechanical pump are under negative pressure while the engine is operating. That design fuel system is normally very reliable. That said, if (when?) a leak develops in the normally negative pressure side of the system (a leaking fitting, leaking o-rings, cracked fuel line, loose clamps, etc.) then the fuel pump is unable to overcome the air intrusion to provide enough suck and pull fuel from the tank to supply the high pressure fuel pump. That often results in hard starting or no start conditions. In that situation (air leaks) there have been people who report that installing an in-line electric fuel pump between the tank and the fuel filter will often cure the no-start situation by pulling fuel from the tank and supplying fuel to the mechanical low pressure pump..If the leaks are small enough once the engine starts and RPM increases the added fuel pump isn't needed for the engine to run properly.
Are are you driving an RV? Or are you talking about the other fuel pump?

-Jon

Austinite

No DRB, I ended up buying a carsoft, but I managed to make friends with a mechanic from Fedex
and he used his machine in my vehicle, back then I had a very evident leak of fuel and the culprit was the O-ring from the WIF. and also was loosing the pressure at the common rail. I have no leaks "that are evident" but the original cause for the vehicle to stall and no start, is showing it's nature. One day when I was fussing around and the vehicle started that's the reason why I'm more inclined to pursue an electrical problem. IMHO:thinking:The LP pump it's mechanical, the HP pump has a provision for a electrical controller inside. Supposedly
Thanks
Manuel

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Since you have the Carsoft package - which is reputed to work well on T1Ns - I suggest you reach out to Andy Bittenbinder.

The Doktor A Sprinter Hotline is 412-366-6165

-Jon

Top Bottom