PDA

View Full Version : Confuse on Remove and replace starter - 2002 freightliner sprinter 2500

jefjonsin
02-01-2014, 08:39 PM
I have gonna through the Manuel and checked how to remove and install the starter on my van. Then today when I actually climbed under the van I realized I might be in for a treat. Do I have to remove anything before having access to the bolts for starter removal. Any help would be appreciated as I have been living in a parking lot for 15days now with a no start situation. I'm positive it's the starter just need to remove it now that I got my new one in.

Aqua Puttana
02-01-2014, 09:22 PM
There doesn't seem to be any Write-up for starter change yet. Please take the time to do a Write-up after you're done. Description without pictures is fine if pics are a problem.

After quite a bit of search word tries in Write-ups I went up a level and found this. Not really a step by step but there are some tips.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18813

The starter locations for the 2004 OM647 engine are the same. Specifically what is in your way may be different for your OM612 engine.

Don't forget to disconnect the negative battery post before getting into the actual connection/starter removal. Good luck. vic

jefjonsin
02-01-2014, 10:22 PM
My problem is at the part where I am supposed to remove 2 bolts that hold the starter in. I cannot locate the 2 bolts for removal.

jefjonsin
02-01-2014, 10:36 PM
My problem is at the part where I am supposed to remove 2 bolts that hold the starter in. I cannot locate the 2 bolts for removal.

Aqua Puttana
02-01-2014, 10:52 PM

:idunno:

:hmmm:

Try looking at night with a flashlight so you can see better? That worked for me when looking for an exhaust manifold leak.

The holes in the replacement starter should give you the approximate position relative to the in place OEM starter.

vic

the-oilman
02-01-2014, 11:09 PM
It should be the same as the OM647, except the intake manifold gives less from the front access on the 2002-03.

The bolts come in from the back. Drivers side, reachable from the ground. You will need an E?? socket (same as all the others), universal, and 12" to 18" of extension. They look like two of the transmission to engine attachment bolts, which they are. They go through the transmission bell housing, through the flange (part of the engine block, and are threaded into the starter.
Getting the 2 wires removed is going to be a pain. There is a plastic cover over the big battery cable at the starter, and the small wire is just plain blind. Check your replacement starter for the wrench sizes you will need before you start, hopefully they are the same as the one on the van.

jefjonsin
02-01-2014, 11:11 PM
I have an idea of where the holes are. It just seems like I've gotta take the transmission off to get to the bolt heads. Idk... I've been stuck so long and I feel stuck.

the-oilman
02-01-2014, 11:42 PM
I have an idea of where the holes are. It just seems like I've gotta take the transmission off to get to the bolt heads. Idk... I've been stuck so long and I feel stuck.

The starter mounting bolts are 2 of the bolts that mount the transmission to the engine - they go all the way through. From the ground I can reach up and touch them on my van. (I jack up the front and put the front tires up on a couple of 8"x8" blocks and it gives me nice room to get under to them.)

Aqua Puttana
02-02-2014, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the detail.

...You will need an E?? socket (same as all the others), universal, and 12" to 18" of extension. ...
In a pinch, if my memory is correct, an 11mm or 7/16" 12 point fits E 14 torx. Just be careful that it stays square on the fastener because it isn't really intended for it. (Kinda like the 1/4" 12 point box wrench that I used on the Turbo Resonator bolts.)

vic

glvu
02-02-2014, 02:31 PM
This link might help
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=264038#post264038

jefjonsin
02-03-2014, 06:42 PM
I am having trouble with one of the bolts. The first one came out pretty easy. The second one seems locked in. I sprayed a little wd40 with no luck. Does anyone recommend a spray or technique to break this bolt free? I tried using a wrench with leverage.

the-oilman
02-04-2014, 12:16 AM
Yes, they are definitely very tight, and age seems to make them tighter. I used a 1/2" drive breaker bar, and leveraged it against the side of the transmission case to break them loose. Make sure your socket is properly in place or as hard as they are you will definitely get a busted knuckle.

Aqua Puttana
02-04-2014, 12:30 AM
If they are that tight it would seem that the correct E 14 Torx is the only tool to use. vic

jdcaples
02-04-2014, 03:44 AM
WD40 is superior at water displacement (maybe better than the previous 39 formula), but PB Blaster, Kroil or other purpose designed chemical might be a better choice.

You should plan for this bolt to break.

It might not, but you should plan for it. Use the proper E tool (Sears carries 'em) and as big a breaker bar as you can manage.

... and if you're going to keep the vehicle for the foreseeable future, consider a good anti-sieze that can handle the temps it'll be exposed to in place.

-Jon