A definite 2014 Sprinter "Who Knew" Experience

sailquik

Yesterday I was up @ Sun Motor Cars (host of the annual Sprinter Fest East) and Nick,
the Sprinter Brand Manager asked how I liked all the 2014 options I ordered.
I told him the Suspension Seats are my #1 favorite.
We talked about the Bi-Xenon headlights and I said I really like that as well.
He asked about the fog lights and I said I didn't think I got the fog lights as there
were covers in the front bumper where I thought the fog lights would be installed.
We went out the my 2014 Sprinter, Nick got out the operator's manual, and
I discovered that my new Sprinter has a headlight washing system....Who Knew!
It uses a lot of washer fluid, but it's funny, with the really cold weather and snow these past few days,
the night before my headlights were partially obscured by road salt kicked up by cars/trucks in front of
me so I had stopped at a Wawa and used the windshield wash sponge/squeegee to get the salt off the
lenses of both front headlights.
And to think all I had to do was push the WS washer stalk in a little further and my
headlights would have been cleaned off.
Amazing.
Now to figure out how to get the cornering lights to work.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

MellowYellow

I think that the washer is standard with the Xenon lamps. Or at least is part of the Xenon lighting package since mine have all had it. I don't like the way it's setup. I would like it on it's own switch, this way i can use my windshield washers for as long as I like instead of trying to clean my windshield using squirts so short that the headlamp washer does not engage and drain out my fluid in record time.

The cornering lights come on when you put on your turn signal, or when your turn the wheel x degrees. I think there is also speed limitations for the lights to come on, but im not sure what they are. If you look at your lamps, the cornering bulb is the one that's 45'd out to the side on the inboard side of the lens, under the amber marker bulb.

sailquik

Mello Yellow,
Yeah, thanks for responding.
My 2014 has a definite 2 position switch in the stalk. I've had the van since mid September and gone through 3 gallons of washer fluid and until Nick
showed me (he had to get the Operator's Manual out and read it) I had no idea there were washers nozzles behind those little doors.
I read up on the cornering lights, and you are correct, the turn signals must be on and you have to be traveling at certain speeds.
Here's what the manual has to say of the subject of the cornering lamps:

Cornering light function (vehicles with Bi-Xenon headlamps)

The cornering lamps improve the illumination of the road over a wide angle in the direction you are
turning, enabling better visibility in tight bends, for example.
The cornering light function switches on automatically, if:
You are traveling at a speed of less than 25 mph (40 km/h) and you switch on a turn signal or turn the steering wheel.
You are traveling at a speeds of between 25 mph (40 km/h) and 43 mph (70 km/h) and turn the steering wheel.
The cornering lamp may remain lit for a short time, but is automatically switched off after no more than 3 minutes.
If reverse gear is engaged the lamp on the opposite side of the vehicle switches on instead.
So, I'm still learning about this new Sprinter all the time.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
The opposite side front light when reversing in the dark is genius.

Cornering light function is great, loads better than expected.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Cornering light function (vehicles with Bi-Xenon headlamps)

The cornering lamps improve the illumination of the road over a wide angle in the direction you are
The cornering light function switches on automatically, if:
You are traveling at a speed of less than 25 mph (40 km/h) and you switch on a turn signal or turn the steering wheel.
You are traveling at a speeds of between 25 mph (40 km/h) and 43 mph (70 km/h) and turn the steering wheel.
The cornering lamp may remain lit for a short time, but is automatically switched off after no more than 3 minutes.
If reverse gear is engaged the lamp on the opposite side of the vehicle switches on instead.
Hope this helps,
Roger
I'm sure the deer will appreciate not being blinded anymore... well, at least while they are on the curbside/shoulders....

:smilewink:

sailquik

OrioN,
Well, at least I can see them sooner, and that gives me a little more time to dodge them.
I haven't got all the "deer avoidance devices" installed and powered up yet, but I will as soon as it warms up a little (no garage or workshop).
Then it's my hope that the deer will hear me coming about a 1/2 mile down the road and take off for somewhere besides in the road in front of me.
So far, with the 2014 I've had one close encounter of the deer kind....close enough to have deer snot or saliva all down the side of the van when I dodged a big whitetail doe @ ~62 mph.....WAAAAY to close, but no damage that wouldn't easily wash off.
ABS/ASR worked great to keep me on the road in a major swerve at that speed.
The big doe may have bumped the RH side of the new van (2 days old) but all I could find was the the snot on the side.
I also learned in that near miss why it's not a good idea to carry diesel fuel inside a Sprinter, unless you have it firmly
attached to the floor. My 5gal plastic fuel can turned over and about a cup of diesel seeped out before I set it back
upright, but the smell took a while to dissipate, and it melted some of the sealer under the factory gray rear floorboards.
Roger

sailquik

chromisdeigns,
Probably not!
My ex is in California, and that was so long ago (the marriage) that I think she's over it and if it weren't for our daughter
she would have completely forgotten about me.
Besides, I think California deer are smarter than east coast deer.
I drove out there for > 60 years and never hit a single deer.
Back here....I hit 2 of them in < 4 years.
But, it created a need to upgrade to a new Sprinter, so not all bad.
Roger

drsat

2014 Unity TB
One note on windshield washer solution for headlights...the headlight washers use a LOT of ww solution, so be sure to top it off frequently if you have to clean your headlights due to salt, mud, etc. :)

K-9 SPRINTER

TROLL TRAINER
It has cornering lights ?
Cornering light function (vehicles with Bi-Xnon headlamps)

The cornering light function switches on automatically, if
Hope this helps,
Roger
Cornering lights are installed if you have the bi-Xenon lights.. but they are not activated in the USA

OrioN,
Well, at least I can see them sooner, and that gives me a little more time to dodge them.
Roger
Maybe,..... looking at the road instead of the scan gauge all the time might help also :rolleyes: :smirk:

Last edited:

Cvollmar

We were in a sprinter training class last year and the instructor was showing us how you could turn different systems on and off with the lap top to check them. One of the guys asked him if we could make the headlight wash sytem turn on using the laptop and he told us to do it. They sure do spray alot of solvent out. All over 22k in test equipment. I thought the guy was going to have a stroke. He had to stop the class in order to dry out the equipment.

Top Bottom