Recommendation for NCV3 Transmission DipStick

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
I want to purchase a good quality transmission dipstick for my 2008 Sprinter NCV3 diesel.

Vic has said there are good and bad quality dipsticks out there so I want to get a good quality one.....

"Transmission Dipstick - The Sprinter does not come with a transmission dipstick for checking level. There are "good and bad" aftermarket dipsticks on the market."

Looking for recommendations....TIA

Last edited:

Vic has said ...
"Transmission Dipstick - The Sprinter does not come with a transmission dipstick for checking level. There are "good and bad" aftermarket dipsticks on the market."

Looking for recommendations....TIA
I didn't mean quality as much as type. For clarity I have just changed that to:

"The Sprinter does not come with a transmission dipstick for checking level. Some are "good" = stop ears, and "bad" = no ears MB dipsticks. More details in post #65"

vic

eralimited57

I went ahead and bought the one in the second listing....looks like a good one..with the stops/bumps.

eralimited57

I bought it based on this persons feedback for the same dipstick:

I have a Dodge 2007 Sprinter 3.0l Diesel with the NAG1 transmission. The stick worked perfect, EXACTLY like OEM at the Frieghtliner dealer, better than the one at the dodge dealer. I monitored temp with a Fluke DMM and temp probe secured to the pan with insulation for quicker reading. It is VERY critical to maintain the fluid level in the NAG1 trans, It only has a 6 ounce window which is very narrow. The trans is awesome but requires close attention for proper performance and longevity. I highly recommend NOT following the suggested drain intervals, you must use your opinion on how often to change the fluid. I found keeping fluid to the higher side of level eliminates RSN. Not over the high mark but close to or at the top. You must check at the proper temp to get accurate readings. There are charts showing proper levels at proper temp readings. Depending on your driving you might get 40k to 120k miles on the fluid. My city driving with short hauls requires 40-50k changes. Letting the fluid get brown or black will shorten life much quicker. I have seen original tranny's with 800k on them with proper fluid monitoring. Any more questions and info search Docktor A's NAG1 Alert or DARF fix for Rumble strip noise on this trans. Fluid to high or too low creates bubbles from cavitation which causes lots of problems. Using the wrong spec fluid is an early death sentence for this tranny, of which many ignorant dodge dealers have done. Yes its expensive but knowing you have the right fluid and peace of mind you won't be needing any tranny repairs for 300k ( when monitored properly) is very good compared to many other trans' on the current market which no matter how you check them wont last that long. You don't have to baby this trans either to get those big miles. Good Luck and thanks for a good tool.

sailquik

nctrailseeker,
If you get the correct dipstick (by Mercedes Benz Part number or MOPAR Dodge Part number) it will fit all NCV3 transmissions.
Both your 2003 and 2008 have the same transmission and it's also the same transmission used in the '04-'06 T1N Sprinters.
Roger

nctrailseeker

The reason for my previous comment is due to the text in red, in the link sailquik posted in post #2. Says the dipstick tube is longer in the '04-'06.

2002-2003, T1N model: Dipstick will completely enter the tube. (The tube is longer on this model with the OM612 engine)

2004-2006, T1N model: Dipstick will bottom out leaving approximately 3" of dipstick protruding from the tube (OM647 engine)

2007-2013, NCV3 model: Dipstick will completely enter the tube. (The tube is longer on the later models with the OM642 engine)

sailquik

nctrailseeker,
The fact that the dipstick coiled spring "extension" portion is longer than the dipstick tube is of no consequence!
The extension is longer than ALL the dipstick tubes as far as I know.
This transmission dipstick is NOT made to put into the dipstick tube and leave it there all the time.
The cap on the dipstick tube is removed only long enough to test the transmission fluid level, then replaced.
It's not necessary to replace the red lock tab, just put the plastic cap back on the top of the tube.
The configuration of the plastic tip of the dipstick is what's important here.
It has to have the ears so it stops at the correct level and gives you a correct reading.
When you push it down the tube, you will feel it stop. with some portion of the coiled spring extension still sticking
up above the top end of the dipstick tube.
Hope this helps,
Roger

nctrailseeker

Gotcha.
Although I myself have not used one of the dipsticks yet, so I don't "have the feel" of the stop, I understand. I guess I just had a fear of possibly pushing it to far in, if it was to long, and getting it stuck....as so I've heard may happen. Guess it is simple enough to just insert gently until it stops and read from there.

... Guess it is simple enough to just insert gently until it stops and read from there.
You would think that...

My experience with T1N's is that even using the factory style dipstick there are a couple spots where the dipstick offers resistance in the tube while being inserted. Once you are past the final resistance and the tip is in the area of the stop tube within transmission then it becomes "gentle".

For that reason there is some value in knowing how much of the dipstick is expected to still protrude on the various Sprinters.

:2cents: vic

lorand

Are the dipstick and temperature criteria the same for the 423 transmission (mine on NCV3 with gas engine) as for the more common diesel models? Thanks for reply.

Top Bottom