How to fix a new floor in ?

dmacg

Hi there
My sprinter came as a completely empty shell so I've painted the floor with Herculiner (a DIY truck bed liner) to protect from salt water (from windsurfers) and now I want to cover it with marine ply to give a better surface to walk on and slide gear across.
I can only buy the ply in 1200x2400 sheets so I'm going to have to have several panels to cover the area of my medium wheel base van.
Any great ideas for fixing it down ?
I'd prefer not to drill loads of holes to bolt each panel in place, I could glue them and accept that they're never coming up ??
I considered joining each piece together with a T shaped aluminium bar, that way they've potentially have some inherent ridgitity and I could just use the existing tie down holes around the edges ??

Any ideas or words of wisdom ?!!?

Thanks

pfflyer

Welcome to the forum. A lot of users have used the anchor points as their only hold down for the flooring. You could also use fasteners that go into the metal with your joining strips as well but if you ply is thicker than 1/4" I would think the anchor points would be enough to keep it flat and secure.

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Welcome to the forum. A lot of users have used the anchor points as their only hold down for the flooring. You could also use fasteners that go into the metal with your joining strips as well but if you ply is thicker than 1/4" I would think the anchor points would be enough to keep it flat and secure.
The anchor points are the D-ring bolts. Discard the D-rings and use the tapped holes. All my conversion structures are bolted down to the existing tapped holes.

dmacg

Thanks for the replies !
I definitely will use the existing anchor holes but as there will be 4 separate panels due to the limited size of plywood sheet there might only be one or two existing holes in a given sheet.
The problem obviously is that those sheets might only be held captive in one spot.

How about this for an idea ?........

I glue battens of treated pine (so it doesn't rot) into the deepest recesses of the metal floor then I can use them as studs to screw the panels onto. If I make the battens the right height the plywood will rest on them as well as the high points of the floor.

What dyou think ??

(Thank you in advance for your shared wisdom, it's a lot trickier than I imagined doing this and the forum is a fantastic resource !)

Top Bottom