Bicycles mounted on front of vehicle?

rascorp

2018 Roadtrek-Etrek Mercedes 3500
Can anyone tell me what that threaded hole is on the front bumper starboard side (passenger side) of the license plate mount. I could use that if there was the same threaded hole on the other side? 2010 ERA

Karl2014

For a tow hook?
I wouldn't mount valuable bikes on front or back of a vehicle... I had 2 expensive racing bikes ruined when car slammed into the back of me while paying toll on Golden Gate bridge many years ago... and still have the fear in me:frown:

sailquik

rascorp,
Would be good for you to update your profile/avatar/signature so we know what MY and style (NCV3/T1N/RV) you have.
If you have the NCV3, the small cover to the RH side of the license plate is where you remove the cover and screw in the towing eye.
Here's a couple of pics:
Hope this helps,
Roger

Attachments

rascorp

I can understand the residual fear of driving after you are slammed in rear by another vehicle. That kind of fear takes a very long time to erase from memory. I've been in 1 hot air balloon crash, 1 glider crash and 1 small plane crash. All three crashes were my fault. That is why my wife makes me drive an RV to most places. I still fly some and still drive...you just have to suck it up and try not to let those things bother you.

About that little Eye bolt! Now, since I have not seen a Sprinter being towed I am wondering just how that small eye bolt would control the weight that large Sprinter. I must be missing something. Is there another eye bolt on other side?

You see I need my bikes on front, when I put my two 55 gal drums on back cargo carrier the last 20 miles into Burning Man...since we must carry our own water and carry out our own dump.

sailquik

rascorp,
No, there is no towing eye socket on the LH side of your Sprinter.
The eyebolt is designed to be able to pull the weight of your entire Sprinter.
I sure hope the 55 gal. drums you want to put on the back of your Sprinter are empty.
H20 is 8.345404 lbs./gallon.
If you fill your 55 gal. drum with water it will weigh 459 lbs..... far too much weight for
a hitch mounted rear carrier.
Why not put the water barrels inside....fill one up, pull the empty out when you get situated
@ Burning Man.
Siphon or drain the full drum into the empty drum.
Sounds like you need a small trailer for that kind of weight.
Roger

rascorp

rascorp,
Would be good for you to update your profile/avatar/signature so we know what MY and style (NCV3/T1N/RV) you have.
If you have the NCV3, the small cover to the RH side of the license plate is where you remove the cover and screw in the towing eye.
Here's a couple of pics:
Hope this helps,
Roger
Thank you. Yes, that is what I have in your picture. I thought I had full description of my vehicle: Winnebago ERA Limited BD170R 2500 Diesel 154 hp. Where would I find that (NCV3/T1N/RV ? Not on title, Sticker etc.

sailquik

rascorp,
Winnebago ERA Limited BD170R 2500 Diesel 154 hp.
Is your RV registered as a Winnebago, a Dodge, or a Freightliner?
2500 series Sprinters have the lower weight carrying capacity and single rear wheels.
The 3500 Series Sprinters have dual rear wheels and a significantly higher weight carrying capacity.
ERA is your Winnebago model.
BD170R could be the chassis wheel base (170") combined with some Winnebago letters/numbers.
Diesel 154 HP means your Sprinter is a 2007-2009 Dodge or Freightliner based RV.
Send me your VIN # by Private message (up at the top of the page) and a valid Email address, and I will pull your Sprinters
data card from the MB Startekinfo database.
Then you will have all available information on what went into building your Sprinter in Germany.....long before
Winnebago got involved.
From the info provided, you have the V6 OM-642 engine, NAG-1 5 speed auto transmission, and it's a 2009-2009 year model 170" wheelbase NCV3.
Could be a Dodge....could be a Freightliner.....makes no difference, they all come out of the same Mercedes Benz manufacturing plant in Dusseldorf.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Top Bottom