2013 3500 won't crank at 0 degrees

nirvana

Hi, My 2013 3500 started and ran for an hour 2 days ago when temp was 25 outside but wouldn't turnover at all yesterday at 0 degrees. The battery is topped and all the usual instrument cluster lights are normal. Complete silence when I turn the key to the start position. After a few seconds all lights go off except amber check engine light. This Sprinter powers a Unity RV and I'd like to drive south as soon as I can get it started. Any ideas? Thanks, Paul

sailquik

Which battery is "topped up".....house battery bank...or the engine starting battery under the drivers floorboard?
How do you know it's "topped up".....what is the voltage reading?
Where did you check the voltage?.
I would uncover the starting battery and give it a charge to be sure.
Also, do the glow plugs cycle normally? The glow plug light (with the little coil symbol) should stay on for
about 10 seconds (maybe a little more) then go out and you would then start the engine.
In cold weather it's important to let the glow plugs cycle fully to get them up to full temperature.
Might want to try it again after charging the engine starting battery.
Roger

Last edited:

nirvana

Thanks for the reply Roger, The chassis battery is topped. I've had a trickle charger on it all winter. The headlights work, the radio works, everything electrical seems to be working normally. I've tried jumping it to no avail. The glow plug light works normally. I'm thinking the starter, solenoid, a relay or something else in the start circuit went bad. In the old days I remember banging on a solenoid with a hammer but I have no idea where the solenoid is on a Sprinter. Paul

sailquik

Paul,
Are you sure it's in Neutral or Park....try shifting it back and forth a few times.... there's an interlock that could cause your no start issue. The switch could be frozen in the lock out position.
You can try tapping on the starter....it's accessible on the left under side of the engine and possibly from under the hood.
Did you measure the voltage, or you just think the battery is hot because you had the trickle charger on it?
Also try several cycles with the key, check that the steering wheel isn't locked.
You tried jumping it using the jump start connector under the red slider button and a good engine ground?
You could measure the voltage with a meter (VOM) at that point as well.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

Thanks for the reply Roger, The chassis battery is topped. I've had a trickle charger on it all winter. The headlights work, the radio works, everything electrical seems to be working normally. I've tried jumping it to no avail. The glow plug light works normally. I'm thinking the starter, solenoid, a relay or something else in the start circuit went bad. In the old days I remember banging on a solenoid with a hammer but I have no idea where the solenoid is on a Sprinter. Paul
The solenoid is still on the starter. It might be worth a try.

Have you moved the shift lever from park down to "D" and back, or maybe to neutral for another try? There is a Park/Neutral recognition switch.

Try disconnecting the negative for about 15 minutes or so?

Dick did a nice overview of things to try. Do an advanced search using Autostaretx as member, and maybe start or starter as key word. Click "Show posts" near the bottom before searching.

vic

nirvana

Thanks again Roger and Vic, I've tried everything recommended with no luck. I was about to go after the solenoid with a heat gun and rubber mallet when the tow truck showed up. The driver said he had towed several Sprinters in the last couple weeks with starting problems probably due to low temps. He's guessing the engine computer is inhibiting start for some reason. Maybe I should move closer to where you live Roger. I'll get back to you with the fix after the MB guys let me know. Good luck, Paul

sailquik

Paul,
It's been down below 10 deg. F several times here in the last week.
Going to get cold again tonight.
I drive mine every day, and it's been doing fine.
Roger

juice91si

Check the fuses under the drivers seat, specifically the yellow 20amp fuses if one is blown, replace with a 25...

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
http://www.leisurevans.com/owners/manuals/2013_Unity.pdf.

Quick read...

The "battery voltage" on the house control panel only reads voltage on house battery. Not starter battery.

Is the radio switch off? If left ON, will drain the chassis (starter) battery even if radios are off. You could have minimal power to boot up but not enough to close the starter selonoid.

Inverter/converter does not charge either battery set.

Recommendations agains fast charging batteries!

Engine alternator charges both battery sets....

Shore power charges both battery sets.....

Charging fuse identified under driver seat.

Do you have a booster switch to apply coach battery power to the chassis battery to jump or boost a dead starter battery? Not shown in manual.

FWIW... I'd tach up the generator and turn on the coach LP heater and warm the thing up. Manual's not clear whether or not the generator will charge both battery sets... It does charge the house set.... You could get lucky! Warming up the cabin may put something right and let it start.

If you have a small electric heater and a heavy extension cord... Put the electric heater under the hood and power it up with the generator. Keep an eye on it Don't melt or burn anything.

If you have a jumper pack, use the under hood jumping connections. Red post on the air cleaner... Black on fender.

Last edited:

nirvana

Hi all, Just got the Sprinter back from MB. They say starter relay stuck and blew fuse # 28 (20A but they say should be 25A and changed it). My fuse book says #28 is for additional starting battery which I don't have but I'll know to check it if another start problem happens. I'm thinking of carrying a spare starter relay also. Thanks for the good input, we're heading south Thursday, Paul

IslandGuy

Hi all, Just got the Sprinter back from MB. They say starter relay stuck and blew fuse # 28 (20A but they say should be 25A and changed it). My fuse book says #28 is for additional starting battery which I don't have but I'll know to check it if another start problem happens. I'm thinking of carrying a spare starter relay also. Thanks for the good input, we're heading south Thursday, Paul
You sure it was not fuse #23....?

Last edited:
Sounds like juice91 pegged that one

Top Bottom