Oil Pan Heater Recommendations?

esm

Our 2014 144 4 cylinder finally arrived so that we can begin our light camper conversion. We live in a cold spot and it has been doing fine the past week. However, since it does not fit in our garage we are considering getting an oil pan heater just as a precaution. I did a search of the forums and see them mentioned but saw no recommendations except for a link that no longer works. Does anyone have a good recommendation? Thank you in advance!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Contact Shanemac. He has one, or had one.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13446

in the above thread there is a link to an alternative to the Wolverine product line

http://www.padheaters.com/

I haven't seen a 2014 yet, but there is a coolant heater for 2007-2012/13 Sprinters in the US and Canada.

See epc.startekinfo.com for details on inline coolant heater A642 200 02 56 for the OM642-type V6 engines, or contact your dealership about a solution for your 4 cyl OM<whatever> engine.

-Jon

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
See epc.startekinfo.com for details on inline coolant heater A642 200 02 56 for the OM642-type V6 engines, or contact your dealership about a solution for your 4 cyl OM<whatever> engine.
The inline units are made & tested by a company in Winnipeg that eludes me.

I'd contact these Sprinter folks:

MERCEDES-BENZ WINNIPEG (Sprinter)
2554 Portage Ave. Winnipeg, MB R3J 0N8
Sales: 1 (877) 857-0778

pgr

I have the Wolverine #18 (I think it is) on my '04 and it works very well. So far it hasn't been below 0°f. But I leave it on all night, in the unheated garage, and when I start it up in the morning the engine temp is usually about 45°f and it starts right up. Simple to install and no leaks, etc.

EBH

Hey, go to Canadian tire and get a 250 watt pan heater around $75.00 or so.
I have one and works just great, easy to install.

esm

Red is certainly trying and Grey has some interesting terrain. However, a bit of a lull for Alpine at the moment. A terrific Nordic season though. Rossland always has something good.

icarus

I blew out both knees last winter! This will be only the second time I missed Red in over 30 years. My sister and Brother in law are there now for a few weeks. Lots of friends in town, take a turn for me, and say hi to everyone!

Icarus

DCarter

I have the Wolverine as well. It was -18F ambient this morning and -38F with the wind. Our 2014 4-cyl, crew started up just fine.

There is not much to the product so I would like to believe it will last for a long time.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Is it necessary to remove the paint from the pan to attach the heater?
Pan on my 2012 V-6 is bare aluminum - no paint. I think they are all aluminum.

Wolverine instructions just recommended roughing up the surface with some course sandpaper.

DCarter

Just to confuse the issue.....

I have the 250W Wolverine and have been using it almost every night (since November) here in Minneapolis on our 2014, 4-cyl, 2500 Crew. The last 3 weeks have been cold here even by MN standards. Last 3 nights have gotten down to -15F ambient, more with the wind chill. Last night I was taking out the trash (below zero F) and stopped to check out (touch) the pad and pan to see just how warm it gets. I touched it with a bare hand and both were warm, like the outside of a coffee mug. Not hot, but warm. Probably mid to high 90s would be my guess. I have not had the ECM throw any codes regarding the temp differential.

I don't have any ideas, I'm just relaying my experience over the last 3-mos.

icarus

Regardless, I would rather start a vehicle with warm oil as opposed to warm coolant if I could only choose on!

Icarus

This thread and the one referenced regarding P codes with an oil pan heater have been helpful to me.

My Sprinter sits outside all the time. I have only had one morning here in Mass. when I tried to start the van and it would not. To be more precise, it started then sputtered and died with a few seconds. The temps were around 0F and up to that point I had not added any sort of anti-gel to the Irving fuel I use. I placed an electric "quartz" space heater under the van just a little behind the wheels and tried an hour or so later and it started and ran fine. After that I started using an anti-gel additive.

However, the idea of a block/oil pan/coolant warmer has appealed to me but I have been indifferent regarding which type and have done nothing about it until now. Having just read the Sprinter Engineering document posted at: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30162, I decided to follow what appears to be the MB recommendation and order one of those.

Ordered from eBay Tuesday evening, arrived today. Seller is allcarautoparts. Installation looks simple with help of a couple HF hose fluid clamps so I don't have to drain all the coolant.

Top Bottom