PDA

View Full Version : Air Compresor, Tank and Train Horn

ctmcdaniel
01-21-2014, 11:26 PM
Drivers side install of Air Compressor, Tank and Train Horn. 2007 NCV3.

Space is from the fuel filler to the rear rear spring pick up point.

Kubbie
01-22-2014, 12:38 AM
US DOT (http://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0104) new law limits trains to 110 dB, I would check the legality of that setup before you scare the crap out of grandma dozing at a red light.

Mrdi
01-22-2014, 12:43 AM
US DOT (http://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0104) new law limits trains to 110 dB, I would check the legality of that setup before you scare the crap out of grandma dozing at a red light.

There is also a defined distance from where the dBs are measured.
You can always muffle it a little:thumbup:

Brian12345
01-22-2014, 02:17 AM
Drivers side install of Air Compressor, Tank and Train Horn. 2007 NCV3.

Space is from the fuel filler to the rear rear spring pick up point.

That is awesome!!! Never mind the laws. I would have a hard time not just laying on it at every person I'm behind texting and being delayed at the green light:)

Sprinter SS
01-22-2014, 02:33 AM
I second that, heck with the laws...what are they going to have a sound meter handy!?

ctmcdaniel
01-22-2014, 02:48 AM
The train horn is for rare occasions, it will be locked out most of the time.

Does the electrical brain trust think I can tap into the horn *on* wire to actuate the selenoid or selenoid relay.

bkhi
01-24-2014, 01:42 AM
It's a good thing I don't have that on my truck, I would be in jail for manslaughter.

Maybe I could just use it for a week or two

hein
01-24-2014, 01:52 AM
Nice tidy work on the install. Post up a clip so we can hear it!
That's where my fresh water tank goes, so no train horn for me. :(
But I did do away with the OEM beep beep horn:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=275544&postcount=273 (scroll down a bit)

gary 32
01-29-2014, 07:16 PM

Does the electrical brain trust think I can tap into the horn *on* wire to actuate the selenoid or selenoid relay.

Nice work Daniel.
I did a couple things different.
My triple horns are under hood right above the ECU.
My air storage tank has a coupling for an air hose.

This is my only horn.

search: Sprinters with air horns

ctmcdaniel
01-30-2014, 03:59 AM
Thats a good location, if you Don't have the aux battery. The compressor and tank are mainly for bike tires and keeping the trailer tires dialed to the correct pressures. Also for blowing out the water lines in the trailer and blowing grease out of wheel and bottom bracket bearings. So I have a quick connect at the tank too. Its nice not have a 120v compressor in the truck anymore it was always in the way.

ReGULT51
01-30-2014, 04:44 AM
Nice install. What's the capacity of the air tank?

ctmcdaniel
01-30-2014, 04:58 AM
Nice install. What's the capacity of the air tank?

I think its a two gallon tank.

Evil Patrick
02-03-2014, 05:30 PM
I’d like to point out that if it’s acceptable for a train to emit this level of noise as a warning to cars as it approaches and crosses roads, then it should be just as acceptable for any other vehicle to use the same level of noise. Whatever cars are limited to, trains should be equally limited.

In short, to heck with "the man"!

Hopefully, your system is not over the limit.

Blknght
02-15-2014, 04:37 PM
That is sweet!:thumbup:

Any way to adjust the horn to emit the brown noise? I think that would solve the txt issue:lol:

BBlessing
02-17-2014, 02:12 AM
that is a sweet setup ct. here is a test video of the truck horn I have half way installed on my sprinter. maybe I will have to finish up the install now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSUJZQh2sNQ

bb

slem
02-17-2014, 03:09 AM
that is a sweet setup ct. here is a test video of the truck horn I have half way installed on my sprinter. maybe I will have to finish up the install now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSUJZQh2sNQ
bb

Thanks for the great noise. Is the compressor pressure switch integrated or stand alone and what was your source for the 12 vdc compressor. Thanks for sharing pictures of this project.
mel

BBlessing
02-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the great noise. Is the compressor pressure switch integrated or stand alone and what was your source for the 12 vdc compressor. Thanks for sharing pictures of this project.
mel

the pressure switch I guess would be a stand alone. the compressor, pressure switch and solenoid valve all came as a package deal from napa auto parts. it was about $200 us. the tank is an old hot dog compressor I used to use for trim work, until it did a back flip out of my van and broke the pressure switch.

bb

jdcaples
02-17-2014, 05:04 PM
<snip>
the tank is an old hot dog compressor I used to use for trim work, until it did a back flip out of my van and broke the pressure switch.

bb

Finally! Evidence to support that you're not superhuman! :)

You're still the Mighty Bruce Blessing, tho.

-Jon

lindenengineering
02-23-2014, 09:18 PM
Crikey
The next thing you will be blowing the bloody horn mate like a BNSF train driver.

For the record Fed Railway Horn Blowing Regs

Two longs, one short. and ONE long as you pass over the grade crossing. That's if you are running in the correct order flow of traffic.:rolleyes:

From one of the few Englishmen who was required to pass the Fed Railroad test before was let loose on the AMTRAC with a Railbus outside New London under the watchful eye of a chaw chewing Norfolk & Southern train pilot!

Here is UP 844 doing its thing and the classic whistle blowing technique with a steamer!
The next thing is that you will want a bell on he front!:bounce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39RBEDJpjD4

Dennis

Trayscott
02-24-2014, 02:21 AM
Trains especially old ones are just bad ass! As old as the engineering is, they still amaze me!

hulagun
02-24-2014, 03:06 AM

Do a search and see my recent posted thread about installing dual Fiamm horns activated by a solenoid. It should set you right. The Fiamms were a big improvement over the stock beep-beep unit, but soon as I have the spare $$ I will upgrade to on-board compressor and add an air horn. :thumbup:

CheckMax
09-29-2014, 07:59 AM
bump

Dingo
10-22-2014, 06:01 PM
My UK sprinter has UK spec alternating train horns fitted , air is provided by a 12v air suspension compressor grabbed from a mangled P38 range rover after the owner converted it into a crumpled example . My air bottles are two 9lt aluminium fire extinguisher located in dual passenger seat base . I fitted a pressure switch off at 130 & on at 90 PSI using a T-piece .

Trying not to laugh is the hardest part when people hear a train driving along the road & there suffer a trouser malfunction , Never knew adrenalin was brown & lumpy with a pungent fragrance
Still you never cease learning . Oh & the best source of compressors are European motors fitted with Wabco pumps :professor: