Unity TB table questions

Frankerbs

We are shopping for a Unity and have selected the twin bed but have some concerns about the table. The standard two pedestal table seems to be in the way and difficult to put up and take down. We understand that we could order one with the single fixed pedestal sliding table that was in the 2012 island bed model but from the videos it does not look very sturdy.

We would appreciate any comments pros and cons for either design.

Denis4x4

2013 Unity TB
We've done several "shakedown" cruises and find that the double pedestal table is rather useless. We also have a 25' Airstream and I removed the dinette and replaced it with a couple of recliner/rockers. The driver/passenger seats in the Unity TB serve the same purpose. It is our habit to use lap trays for dining or a picnic table at the site. Obviously, this is a personal preference and not for everyone.

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
We are shopping for a Unity and have selected the twin bed but have some concerns about the table. The standard two pedestal table seems to be in the way and difficult to put up and take down. We understand that we could order one with the single fixed pedestal sliding table that was in the 2012 island bed model but from the videos it does not look very sturdy.

As an actual Unity owner with the same floorplan (with the exception of the bed) we have found the table to be quite useful when entertaining 3 or more. We've had as many as 5 people around the table (using the spare collapsible stool from the rear desk/dresser at the foot of the bed) for the 5th chair. It's also useful when sitting down for a real meal for the 2 of us. It's easy to put up or take down. We ordered an extra table base receiver from Springfield and mounted it to the underside of a smaller table. This way we can have a little more room to move about the cabin since we only use the one post in this case.

Last edited:

Wxguy

We remove the table while traveling on longer jaunts, that improves access to the coach for the co-pilot. The table top stores under the driver side bed, the legs store under the passenger side bed, all store quite securely. Setup and take down are quick, no tools required.
We sometimes use the table with the short legs (coffee table height) but in either case it's value is as a surface to put stiff on, meal prep, eating, projects. Downside is that space becomes tight so at times we leave the table stowed, especially when the weather is good and we "live" outside.

cherylandtk

2014 Unity TB
We've only had our rig for two weeks, but with just two of us we find the table easy to set up or take down. For shorter trips we just flip the table top over and seatbelt it into one of the two seats. Don't really store it under the bed at all.

hawk6868

We are considering the TB model, but I'm very concerned about the size of the shower. Have you been able to use and tolerate the small size, and have you tried a shower curtain to add space? Thanks!

Wxguy

Hawk6868.... I use the TB shower fairly regularly. At 6 ft, 205 lbs I kinda push the limits of the shower. While its functional, I do enjoy using the RV Park showers when available & clean.

cherylandtk

2014 Unity TB
The shower can be an experience in contortionism. The height is not so much a problem per my tall brother, just use the shower wand and bend your neck to wash your hair. It is difficult if not impossible to bend over and reach a bottle on the floor or your feet, unless you are both short and trim. We put suction hooks on the wall and put a small plastic basket on the hooks about eye level to hold little (hotel sized) bottles of shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc. We refill the small bottles as needed. We are also getting better at figuring out how to manage the tight space, but a big shower at the RV park is welcome. Of course, having the teeny shower when dry camping is as much, if not more, appreciated, too.

Not sure if a curtain would help or just be a wet mess.

Unity Traveler

2013 LTV Unity Twin Bed
We are considering the TB model, but I'm very concerned about the size of the shower. Have you been able to use and tolerate the small size, and have you tried a shower curtain to add space? Thanks!
Check out the "Extend a Shower" sold by Camping World, Amazon & host of other suppliers. We installed one in our Unity TB last Fall but haven't had an opportunity to try it yet. Looks like it will definitely give us more elbow room. Has to be trimmed down to fit the door, but looks like it will work for us. Check out the link below.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/rv-extend-shower.htm

tbird56

I'm very interested in putting Extend-a-Shower in too. Tell me, did you have to take out the original shower curtain? If not how did you mount it. In front or behind the shower rails on both sides
Please let me know. Maybe you can puy a couple of picture's because I would think that a lot of people would like it bigger, Thank Mark

pgustaf249

I can't find it on the LTV website, but somewhere I have seen a Unity video where Dean slides the table left and right after it has been installed. It seems if that is possible you could push it over to the driver's side and increase the space you have to walk past the table toward the rear. Has anyone else seen that video?

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
You can order the older table since it is the same one that is still in use on the Serenity. I ordered it on my 2014 TB that I will take delivery on next Friday. It has a set of sliding brackets on the bottom that allow it to move in both directions laterally and there are screw down knobs that will tighten the position to lock it in place when it is positioned as you want it.

I took a look at mine last week just after it got off the transport truck and that was one of the first things I checked out because I wasn't dead certain I had done the right thing when I ordered this. All I had to go on was the video from 2012 as well.

As it turns out there is quite a bit of room to maneuver around the table when in a travel position and yet not hard to slide around when you need to move it out of the way of the counters/drawers. This is a shot showing how much room you have to get past it to go to the back of the coach:

You can push the table towards the front and then swing it around perpendicular to the position shown here to slide it over to the seat on the left and pretty much anywhere in between. I would likely have it in the perpendicular position and over to the left when preparing food at the counter. You can raise the counter extension and then move the table under it so the table acts as a very large extension of the counter top for food preparation.

The knobs on the bottom allow you to lock it in any position you want it to stay in. It is a bit bigger than I was expecting but should be a very workable arrangement for my wife and I. Not quite sure how well it would work for someone intending to entertain 4 people at a time a lot but that is never going to be the case in my TB.

For the record when I asked about this I referred to it as the older style table from 2012 and the delivery order sheet shows the option as "Install Dinette Table and Base like Serenity #B48103 - production".

Denis4x4

2013 Unity TB
Replaced the stock table with a butcher block table top that matches the floor and cabinets. Still easy to get around from the front seats.

Still have not mastered the art of re-sizing photos, so check it out on my album!

bookman

2015.5 LTV Unity TB
Replaced the stock table with a butcher block table top that matches the floor and cabinets. Still easy to get around from the front seats.

Still have not mastered the art of re-sizing photos, so check it out on my album!
Table looks terrific! Really nice. You taking orders for tables?:clapping:

Don Horner

2012 Unity IB
We owned a 2005 LTV Free Spirit for 8 years and only used the shower a few times. It was a wet bath, with a flip up sink and only room to take a shower if one sat on the toilet.

One of the primary reasons we traded for the 24IB is the enormous shower in comparison! Finally, we are free of using RV park showers -- most of which were moderately disgusting, and a few downright awful.

Sure, the shower is a little tight compared to home, or to my buddy's 40' diesel pusher, but it's heaven for us. I'm just shy of 6' and 215 lbs; my DW is 5'9", and we manage just fine. I think it's somewhat a matter of attitude!

I use suction cup plastic holders from the bath dept in Wally World for soaps and shampoos. I really like the shutoff on the shower head; when we're boondocking we can soak down, shut off the water without disturbing the cold/hot setting, soap up, then push the button and rinse off, using just a couple of gallons of water.

pgustaf249

You can order the older table since it is the same one that is still in use on the Serenity. I ordered it on my 2014 TB that I will take delivery on next Friday. It has a set of sliding brackets on the bottom that allow it to move in both directions laterally and there are screw down knobs that will tighten the position to lock it in place when it is positioned as you want it.

I took a look at mine last week just after it got off the transport truck and that was one of the first things I checked out because I wasn't dead certain I had done the right thing when I ordered this. All I had to go on was the video from 2012 as well.

As it turns out there is quite a bit of room to maneuver around the table when in a travel position and yet not hard to slide around when you need to move it out of the way of the counters/drawers. This is a shot showing how much room you have to get past it to go to the back of the coach:

You can push the table towards the front and then swing it around perpendicular to the position shown here to slide it over to the seat on the left and pretty much anywhere in between. I would likely have it in the perpendicular position and over to the left when preparing food at the counter. You can raise the counter extension and then move the table under it so the table acts as a very large extension of the counter top for food preparation.

The knobs on the bottom allow you to lock it in any position you want it to stay in. It is a bit bigger than I was expecting but should be a very workable arrangement for my wife and I. Not quite sure how well it would work for someone intending to entertain 4 people at a time a lot but that is never going to be the case in my TB.

For the record when I asked about this I referred to it as the older style table from 2012 and the delivery order sheet shows the option as "Install Dinette Table and Base like Serenity #B48103 - production".
Does anyone know why they changed the type of table for the Unity 24IB?

Jeff Treiber

2015 Unity TB
The custom made table does look great. What about ordering just the table top for the small pedestal table they make for the Free Spirit? Looks to be about the right size, matches finish, and has a slide built in?

Don Horner

2012 Unity IB
Does anyone know why they changed the type of table for the Unity 24IB?
I don't know for certain, but my guess it was because it is a really large table on a single pedestal. I suspect people leaned on it too much and were breaking the slide mechanism. I had a smaller sliding table on a single pedestal in my '05 Free Spirit, and the slide mechanism pulled loose from the table and broke part of the slides. I ordered new slides from the factory and installed them with a size larger screws.

The drop leaf table is much more stable when the leaves are down, and there are two pedestals to support it. I really love the idea of the sliding table, because I find it difficult to get past the drop leaf, but I would worry about the longevity of the larger sliding table. They made the decision to switch pretty early, as the video of the 2012 models showed the sliding table, but my 2012 model, built in February 2012, has the drop leaf.

We leave the drop leaf under the bed most of the time and usually eat at outside picnic tables.

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
I have been using the Serenity style table in my 2014 TB for a few days now and am growing used to how to work with it. It is a big table and it is always there unlike the take apart pillar table typically used in the IB/TB models but it is pretty sturdy when it is locked in position. The slide mechanisms can be a little sticky sometimes and I suspect that the process of tightening the screw knobs down to lock it in place through time will leave enough surface gouges on the metal to bind up the sliding action to an extent. At first I thought it might simply be too large but after living with it on the road I am kind of getting used to the size. I was going to make a new tabletop for it to make it a bit smaller but I may hold off on that and just keep this for a while first.

You do have to make certain you have tightened it up pretty good when you start driving because the rattling of the slide bars on rough roads will drive you nuts otherwise. I have been dropping it down so one end is resting on the cushion behind the driver's seat and the slide locks tightened down too silence it while on the road.

Top Bottom