Side trim holes a potential rust spot ?

dmacg

Ok so I removed a panel of my insulation today when pondering ventilation options and noticed that from each of the little plastic 'Christmas tree' type rivets that hold on the side trim there was a feint pool of dust/ water track.

Am struggling to upload a photo taken on my ipad, it's too big apparently (?)
So I'm talking about looking in the side panels of the unlined van, looking at a row of yellow plastic rivets that hold the external trim that runs the length of the van.
Make sense ?!
Has anyone had any dramas with these allowing moisture to build up inside and rust out ?
I was pondering a dab of silicone sealer on each one to remedy it but that will obviously make it difficult if I ever need to remove them down the track ????
Thoughts ??
Cheers

vitola231

pretty common problem, there is a seem in body panels that seem to catch the water that enters through the holes where clips hold body side moulding on :bash: Don't use silicon! silicone eats metal. Automotive seam sealer is safe. It's on my list of things to fix also but for now I undercoated the hell out of that lip. I have to pop mould off to paint and was going to buy very soft foam washers to install between the clips and body metal, these can be ordered through auto supply store that sells body clips and panels etc. Funny what they miss. I was at scrap yard and noticed dodge pick up had little felt washers under all the dash clips to ensure no dash rattles:thumbup:, found that impressive.

vitola231

you could also try a 1/8 thick foam insulating tape, stick over holes from outside and then puncture trim clips through. I wouldn't seal from the inside, these vans are very poorly rust protected and you could cause a huge problem.

Top Bottom