PDA

View Full Version : Water in Fuel Light

dante
01-18-2014, 06:44 PM
The "water in fuel" light on my dash lit up today and so I immediately read the manual on what to do. It says to drain it immediately and even gave directions on how to do it. However, when I looked in the engine bay, I could not identify the drain as it does not look like the one shown in the manual.

I did a search in the forum and someone posted that this is best done by someone who knows what they're doing because letting air in through the drain would not be a good idea. I now need to schedule the van for service (It also needs 20K mile maintenance).

Anyway, I was wondering if its OK to still drive it while waiting for maintenance? I don't want to damage the engine.

Thanks

dante
01-18-2014, 09:22 PM
False alarm... the light did not come on whe I started it after letting it sit for an hour or so

showkey
01-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Sprinter do not have false alarms. :)............The water did not evaporate ;)..........Wild guess ............if there is water in the filter the warning light may come back on. The procedure to fix the water light is to drain off some of the fuel in the filter and the trapped water will come with the fuel. The drain hose is clipped to the engine near the bottom of the oil fill port on the passenger side near the valve cover.

On the v6 the drain hose is low and air getting in is not a big concern and the in tank fuel pump fills the fuel filter with the key on movement. If you do drain the filter a couple of key on off cycles with out starting will fill the filter with fuel.

For now ..........if the light is off your most likely ok because the volume of water maybe small. At 20000 miles your due for filter change soon........and the dealer can do that as part of the service.

Boxster1971
01-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Is this your first 20K service? If not the dealer may have eliminated the drain line as they did on mine at first 20K filter change. They claimed there is a MB service bulletin on this due to fuel leak problems on the drain line connector at filter. MB diesel cars with the water in fuel indicator tell you to take it in for service as they don't have the drain line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmlog
01-20-2014, 07:40 PM
Is this your first 20K service? If not the dealer may have eliminated the drain line as they did on mine at first 20K filter change. They claimed there is a MB service bulletin on this due to fuel leak problems on the drain line connector at filter. MB diesel cars with the water in fuel indicator tell you to take it in for service as they don't have the drain line.

I think I'd have a problem with a mechanic removing the water drain line on my vehicle. It sounds like they would be eliminating the drain capability to fix a problem that MIGHT occur.

I have never had such an alarm, nor a need to drain water off of my filter, in 440,000 miles on my 2008 Sprinter. But, I still have the drain line there if it did become necessary.

:idunno:

dante
01-23-2014, 07:34 PM
For now ..........if the light is off your most likely ok because the volume of water maybe small. At 20000 miles your due for filter change soon........and the dealer can do that as part of the service.

I brought my Sprinter in for service today and it was handled as part of the 20K service.

dante
01-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Yes - my van currently has 20K+ on it... I'm not sure if this was done - the service advisor did not mention it. I'll check the invoice to see if it was done.

eralimited57
01-29-2014, 05:33 PM
How does one drain the fuel filter with the drain hose ... what is the step by step procedure...

Boxster1971
01-30-2014, 12:42 AM
How does one drain the fuel filter with the drain hose ... what is the step by step procedure...

Attached is from my owners manual...

You need to look closely for the drain valve it is clipped to the engine near the oil level dipstick. you twist the end cap to open the valve and it takes several turns to get it open. I drained the residual fuel from mine after the dealer disconnected it and capped connector on the filter.

mofo989
09-18-2015, 01:04 AM

I found my WIF drain line is non-functional on my vehicle as well after attempting a fuel filter change... it's not connected. I have only had dealer service so far... Where is this bulletin about removing the feature?