PDA

View Full Version : Heavy clutch pedal

sam11
01-18-2014, 05:39 PM
Hi All, Only had my sprinter 313 (2011) for two months 120000 miles. Can anybody tell me if this is normal.
When i drive on the motorway for over half hour, then depress the clutch to change gear, the pedal feels heavy to push. It then goes back to the normal feeling after i've changed gear a few times. Seems the longer i drive without changing gear the firmer the pedal becomes. Regards Sam

CJPJ
01-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Possibly the throw-out bearing sticking to the output shaft.

The bearings inner race traveles a small distance along the shaft.

As the shaft grease dries up it will act more like sticky tree sap/pitch,

causing a gumming/sticking of the bearing as it slides along the shaft.

Which would cause the pedal to feel heavy to push.

How old is the clutch.

sam11
01-18-2014, 09:46 PM
2011 van with 122000 miles.

Altered Sprinter
01-19-2014, 10:41 AM
2011 van with 122000 miles. Mileage indicated says it should be dead long ago.:thinking:\I have the 313 manual there is no difference between yours or mine in the mechanical make up, however a clutch spring or pressure plate spring may be weak.?
If it was the throw-out bearing, you'd hear it squeal like a girl, and have to physically pull the clutch pedal up of the floor,only happens when cold or on a first early morning start.
Clutch's can go a million ks or last as long as a 100 thou depends on loads or resting your foot on the clutch which does weaken the springs.

Eric Experience
01-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Sam.
When brake fluid is very old it has absorbed a lot of water, this water corrodes the aluminium components, this produces aluminium oxide which grows into crystals that can block the small tubes in the clutch and brake system, to eliminate this as a problem you can open the clutch bleed screw and collect a sample of the fluid. If it has small white lumps in it you should change the fluid pronto. Your clutch thrust bearing does not slide like the old ones it is a concentric hydraulic cylinder. If the vehicle clutch has done mostly highway miles it should last a bit longer. Eric

sam11
01-20-2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the advise lads. It just seems strange that it drives great with no issues around town, but has this quirk with it feeling firmer to push down for the first i depress the clutch after a motoway drive!

It's still under warranty with Mercedes, but if i take it in, they're bound to say they've tested it and they can't find a fault.

Cheers again:thumbup:

TIMOS
04-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the advise lads. It just seems strange that it drives great with no issues around town, but has this quirk with it feeling firmer to push down for the first i depress the clutch after a motoway drive!

It's still under warranty with Mercedes, but if i take it in, they're bound to say they've tested it and they can't find a fault.

Cheers again:thumbup:

Any news on this Ihave the same?
thanks