PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary heat options, warranty questions

Daybreak Express
01-18-2014, 06:27 AM
Greetings everyone! I just ordered a 2014 Sprinter crew van (144 wb, low roof, v-6,velvet red, most of the bells & whistles), which will be upfitted with the appropriate interior for my hvac/mechanical business. I ordered the crew heating package which includes the HZ-9 5 kW heater. I added on the front auxiliary (5 kW) coolant heater; I like the idea of being able to start a warm engine when it's 20 F outside. Since ordering, I've been looking at information on the web, including looking at the owner's manual. It's not clear to me whether the HZ-9 heater is a fuel-fired coolant heater or fuel-fired air heater, or whether it just heats the rear part of the van or the front. Is adding the front coolant heater redundant? Much as I like the salesman I'm dealing with, I sometimes wonder whether the sales staff is conversant with these technical refinements. Another question-in view of the extensive reliance on electronics for the functioning of just about everything in the vehicle, I'm considering getting the extended (3-yr) warranty. Sometimes these extended warranties are worth the cost, sometimes not. Anyone have any observations to share on that?

The van won't be here until late March or early April-can't wait! My test-drive, in a 2013 crew van, was an awesome experience.

K-9 SPRINTER
01-18-2014, 06:51 AM
HZ9 is a coolent heater that only runs when engine is running and will not run when engine is off( no preheating to start) What heating package did you get that claims to preheat with engine off?
I have HZ5 that is the dual fired espars,of which 1 will run with engine off.

Daybreak Express
01-18-2014, 09:14 AM
I'll have to call and ask the salesman later in the morning-I added it on after I placed the original order. I'm guessing it's the H-12 or the HZ-5. I told him I wanted the one which can be used to warm the engine. Whichever it is, it added $895 to the ticket. I realize the HZ-9 is only for the back, and only runs with the engine on. My understanding is that it is, like the front one, fuel-fired and heats the coolant, but only when the engine is running. I checked out the Sprinterguy website, which has the manufacturer's description of these options. Anyway, I'll let you know what I find out from the sales office.

K-9 SPRINTER
01-18-2014, 09:27 AM
None of the espars(factory) are specifically for the rear, the espars warm the coolent to produce more heat faster. Heating the rear depends on duct work included, depending on which package you actually ordered. The best option is one that has the heat output ducts along the side wall, behind the driver

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/album.php?albumid=52&pictureid=253

You can download the equiptment book and get a better understanding of the options http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139364&postcount=1

Daybreak Express
01-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the link-very useful! Hopefully the 2011 option codes are still in effect. I think I get it-the HZ-9 doesn't run if the engine is off, so I want to go with either the H-5 (with timer) or H-12 (without timer). Somehow I get the impression that the sales people aren't as familiar with these items as I'd like. I'll have to take it up with the salesman-soon, before they get too far along. Thanks again for your help!

K-9 SPRINTER
01-18-2014, 08:08 PM
NO >>>>> most of the sprinter salesmen dont know s#it
, the best option (factory)for cold weather is with both espars AND the remote control. (there is a package)and the factory rear heat H13
the equiptment codes have not changed , just the packages

Daybreak Express
01-19-2014, 02:41 AM
I think I finally have it figured out, with your help and the "build & equip" feature on the Mercedes Sprinter website. Note that I'm getting the crew van, so not all options which may be available for the passenger van, etc. are available for the crew version, i.e. the HZ-5 auxiliary heater, which has a timer and can be used w/an optional remote control, is not available for the crew van. Only the H-12 (manual control) is offered for the crew van. I originally ordered the "crew heat package," which has front & rear insulation and the HZ-9 auxiliary heater-the one which you correctly pointed out is tied in with the front heater but doesn't work without the engine running. The only other auxiliary heater available for the crew van is the H-12 coolant heater, which DOES work without the engine-it will prewarm the interior and the engine. Unlike the HZ-5, the other "work-by-itself" coolant heater, it doesn't have a timer; you have to go out to the van & turn it on. I changed the order and ordered the H-12, and also ordered front and rear insulation as stand-alone items. I also ordered the floor duct (HO-0) which ducts air from the front heater to the passenger seat. I'm not aware of an auxiliary heater for the rear being available; I'll see how this setup works out, and if need be, add a Webasto or Espar hot air heater later on. (I did not see one of those offered by Mercedes at all).

treadmill
01-19-2014, 02:41 AM
I use the D4 Espar heater when I don't run my vehicle to stay warm when I am waiting for a load.

K-9 SPRINTER
01-19-2014, 07:02 AM
I think I finally have it figured out,
nope...
the H12 does have a timer (with or without steering wheel buttons)
your best bet is contact Dave (the sprinter guy) or a salesmen that KNOW something about sprinters... ILL bet Daves price is better also!!!!!!

Daybreak Express
01-19-2014, 07:19 AM
That's a pleasant surprise-that it has a timer-very helpful. Is there a remote turn-on available for it? Too bad I didn't know about The Sprinter Guy (and this site) before I bought the van, though I've read good things on here about the dealership's service department (Flagship Mercedes of Lynnfield, Ma.). I'll call Dave on Monday. Also, thanks, Treadmill, for the Espar tip; I may end up installing one later depending on how the OEM unit works out.

K-9 SPRINTER
01-19-2014, 07:36 AM
  I also ordered the floor duct (HO-0) which ducts air from the front heater to the passenger seat. I dont have it but ........ http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=276294&postcount=71

I'm not aware of an auxiliary heater for the rear being available; . its called H13 http://sprinterguy.wordpress.com/sprinter-van-auxiliary-rear-heating-options/ it may not be available in the crew, you may have been better off ordering a cargo and added the rear seat to have gotten the best heat for when driving, if the crew versions limit the good options. (Or use a D2 or 4 while driving)Again speak to Dave for true builds. I have the H13 and it heats the whole 170 ext so well, I dont use the front. (NO, the front heat cannot heat the rear,)

Is there a remote turn-on available for it? YES ,.... it says HY1 is available for crew van for $330 http://sprinterguy.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/2014-crew-van-optional-equipment.pdf . There are others here who added the factory remote after the built also(for twice the price of factory option)

If your expecting the factory system to warm up or keep the interior warm... forget it...... it will barely warm up the cockpit on a cold day. It does preheat the coolent well enough, so when you do start ,you have full heat instantly.

A D2 should suit your needs on a 144 van for sitting in van without running engine. I have a D4 for a 170 ext

As for Flagship, service and sales are differant departments, I dont know about sales, but Ive gone there for service when Carl was working there, hes one of the top sprinter mechanics in USA,.....but hes now at Shrewsbury

Daybreak Express
01-20-2014, 05:52 AM
On the Mercedes site, I didn't see the H13 (engine powered rear heater) offered for the crew van-again, I'll check it out with Dave. The salesman didn't seem to think it would be necessary, and since I'm putting in a partition (w/door) behind the crew bench, he may have a point. I have a feeling I'll be adding the equivalent of a D4, the Webasto Air Top 3900 (American Aftermarket Automotive is where my shelving, etc. is being installed and they're a Webasto dealer and authorized Sprinter upfitter). It won't cost much more than the H-13, and will work without the engine. As to service, I hope Flagship is on the mark-Shrewsbury is considerably farther away than Lynnfield, and Lynnfield is far enough as it is! Supposedly there's a new dealership being built closer to the Cape, but I can't remember where. Hope they're right....

pgmasini
11-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Hi - I am new to owning a sprinter. I would have liked to have the HY1 option, but bought a pre-configured van and only have learned of this option. My van has the HZ5 option and am wondering if I am able to add the remote. The previous post mentions that it is possible, but double the cost. Can someone provide details on how I would go about adding this option?

"YES ,.... it says HY1 is available for crew van for $330 http://sprinterguy.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/2014-crew-van-optional-equipment.pdf . There are others here who added the factory remote after the built also(for twice the price of factory option)"

FireandIceHVAC
11-21-2014, 12:51 PM
On the Mercedes site, I didn't see the H13 (engine powered rear heater) offered for the crew van-again, I'll check it out with Dave. The salesman didn't seem to think it would be necessary, and since I'm putting in a partition (w/door) behind the crew bench, he may have a point. I have a feeling I'll be adding the equivalent of a D4, the Webasto Air Top 3900 (American Aftermarket Automotive is where my shelving, etc. is being installed and they're a Webasto dealer and authorized Sprinter upfitter). It won't cost much more than the H-13, and will work without the engine. As to service, I hope Flagship is on the mark-Shrewsbury is considerably farther away than Lynnfield, and Lynnfield is far enough as it is! Supposedly there's a new dealership being built closer to the Cape, but I can't remember where. Hope they're right....

Westwood ma, which is a little closer to you recently started servicing sprinters

K-9 SPRINTER
11-21-2014, 01:09 PM
One of the top sprinter mechanics in the USA, is in Shrewsbury.. Carl :thumbup:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19017
he knows and understands the espar systems

CheckMax
03-05-2015, 12:08 AM
I have the H13 and it heats the whole 170 ext so well, I dont use the front. (NO, the front heat cannot heat the rear,)

YES ,.... it says HY1 is available for crew van for $330 http://sprinterguy.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/2014-crew-van-optional-equipment.pdf . There are others here who added the factory remote after the built also(for twice the price of factory option)

A D2 should suit your needs on a 144 van for sitting in van without running engine. I have a D4 for a 170 ext

K-9,
Could you confirm from your posts what looks like you have as the following:
HZ5, H13, HY1
and the D4?

Was the D4 installed by Sportsmobile or third party?
Have there been any complicating issues having effectively four heaters on the van?
Do you know whether the D4 draws fuel from the KL1 fuel tap?

Thanks

K-9 SPRINTER
03-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Yes, I have HZ5 with HY1 and the H13
The D4 was installed by Sportsmobile. The KL1 tap is used by the HZ5 (as is any OEM espar) . They installed another fuel tap(with return line )for the generator and D4. There are posts where others with OEM Espar systems, have Tee'd of the KL1,to add a D2, or Dual top.
I got the D4 instead of a D2,because of opening and closing the side door, to let all the dogs in and out, lets ALL the heat out, and I need to keep inside warm