Won't go over 60 (ish)

larry8061

I haven't posted in a while hoping my Sprinter would be stolen from my drive way........ For those that are either new or forgot I HATE these things (mine will turn into a ford Transit in 12-18 months).

However, this board has been VERY helpful to me and I would like to repay some of that. I don't know if this "fix" has been on here before or not. I take NO responsibility for this information it ALL came from (drum roll please) uh yeh - Doktor A - thank you again!

This is for MY 2004 2500 I have not a clue what other models/years this works for. I think I actually had 2 problems going on at the same time but this is for the serious one. My pile of crap sits most of the summer and gets driven mostly in the winter because it holds up to the rust so well (can we say SARCASM?). Anyhow when I started driving it again this fall I had no power.......... it felt like a blocked catalytic converter. So I started pouring carbon cleaner kinds of stuff into the tank. If I hit the accelerator just right I could get some decent revs and a LARGE cloud of black smoke out the back. After a few weeks things were indeed getting better but with any weight I still couldn't get over 60.

I have finally found a FORD truck dealer that does pretty good work and will work with us. They did a lot of work, didn't have the Mercedes only Scan info (yet another reason to forget about Mercedes) and didn't know how well it CAN (when it fills like it) drive. So call Doktor A.

Now besides my wifes out patient surgery Monday I have 10,000 other things going on as well as not wanting to be laying in my driveway in January in Ohio working on this fine vehicle. Anyhow we discuss possibilities and the turbo actuator/servo was now a possibility. There is a very good 3 minute video on You Tube that shows how the arm on the turbo is SUPPOSE to move when the engine is started. Mine didn't. OK possible locked up joint on the actuator.

Fortunately a friend could come over to offer moral support and another set of hands. On the one hand this is not a big deal repair and once you do it, it is pretty simple. But, again; January,Northern Ohio, driveway, Sprinter aren't words I want put together in the same sentence. Three 10mm headed bolts hold the actuator in place plus the electrical connection. With the passenger front wheel off, pretty easy to get to. It drops out and then the cautionary part: removing the lever (?) off the "arm". According to Doktor A the internals are plastic (why wouldn't they be, it is after all Mercedes) and they can't be "torqued". Mine fortunately came off rather easily, clean off the rust, put on some never seize and reinstall. Took less than an hour for the whole thing. More importantly it FIXED the problem. Now with all the other repairs, brakes yadda yadda yadda, this thing is REALLY running like a raped Ape now.

I hope this helps at least one other person!

Larry

This isn't the place for it but, if you replace rotors - REPLACE the hoses! I have NEVER had a hose issue on ANY vehicle I have EVER owned except this fine piece of under engineering and I got to spend 2 weeks in Tornado alley (with no Sprinter parts or service) on 3 brakes until I could get back to civilization and replace a swollen hose! (thank goodness for vice grips!)

Top Bottom