PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on purchase

Rush
01-16-2014, 02:23 AM
I'm looking at buying my first diesel Sprinter.

Specifically I'm looking at an 06 with 36,000 (yes that low) miles on it. It is the 140 length with seats.

Any comments on what to look for and just general commentary would be great.

I'll mainly be using it to move and as a family adventure type vehicle. In the long run it will also be used as a mobile bike shop with the bulk of the shop in a trailer.

Thanks,
Rush

Oilburner
01-16-2014, 02:36 AM
With 36k you are looking for RV only with this low miles...it is next to impossible and if so, be prepared to spend $20k .

surlyoldbill
01-16-2014, 03:46 AM
Normal stuff, look for fluid leaks or signs of cleaned up fluid leaks. look at the tire wear patterns.
Check under the plastic cover on top of the engine for Black Death around injectors (remove 7-8 torx screws to take off, T-25 I think, maybe T-20).
Ask/see if the turbo resonator has been replaced (the OEM have a bad reputation of splitting at a seam, causing loss of boost pressure, triggering a limp-home-mode; LHM).
Watch the serpentine belt with motor running to see if it jumps around any.
Should NOT be any lights on the dash after engine starts, Glowplug light going off to start and then coming back on and staying on means there is at least a stored fault in the system.
Area around windshield is prone to rust, take a look under the gasket.

glasseye
01-16-2014, 05:02 AM
Worth every penny of $20K. I bought mine for slightly more than that with 9K miles and 60K miles later, I've never looked back. Love every minute behind the wheel.

If you can find a shop with a Mercedes scan tool, (some Dodge dealers might have one) they can find stored codes that other readers can't.

Aqua Puttana
01-16-2014, 01:35 PM
First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum. 56910

Have you stumbled upon this thread?

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23409

There is a bit of info there. vic

Turbo John
01-16-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm looking at buying my first diesel Sprinter.

Specifically I'm looking at an 06 with 36,000 (yes that low) miles on it. It is the 140 length with seats.

Any comments on what to look for and just general commentary would be great.

I'll mainly be using it to move and as a family adventure type vehicle. In the long run it will also be used as a mobile bike shop with the bulk of the shop in a trailer.

Thanks,
Rush

Drive it and buy it with those miles.....I sell cars once and awhile and I buy all the low mileage cars and trucks I can get my hands on.......if you snooze you will lose.......
If you start trying to check every little thing somebody will come and buy if from under you.
I have seen this happen time again.
I have a little low mile TDI VW Jetta.......one guy was screwing around trying to check everything and a million questions and BAM....another guy walks up and hands me the cash.
If the truck is that clean with those miles...........by it now.....

zipacrosswater
01-16-2014, 02:22 PM
$20K for a Sprinter w/36,000 miles on it sounds good to me. I've got an '06 140 hi-roof w/23,000 miles on it, in immaculate condition. I'll be selling it later this year and I'm hoping to get upwards of $20k. Lots of homemade goodies on it.
Camping stuff in the back, but no seats with seatbelts for any rear passengers.

Rush
01-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to hopefully buy it today.

Rush

larry8061
01-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Worth every penny of $20K. I bought mine for slightly more than that with 9K miles and 60K miles later, I've never looked back. Love every minute behind the wheel.

If you can find a shop with a Mercedes scan tool, (some Dodge dealers might have one) they can find stored codes that other readers can't.

There is your FIRST clue not to do this! Yes boys and girls ONLY the dealership (and then only the ones that bought it) can read ALL the codes! (Contrary to what they tell you).

Larry

Check the state of Kansas for "authorized" Sprinter repair/parts.