PDA

View Full Version : Sprinter Spooling..

dr.ona
01-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Anyone here done this? I've sent an email out to this company and I'm waiting a response back for price and install instructions.

http://www.customspooling.com/

CustomSpooling Offer Unrivaled DPF Software Delete Packages
What is a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) ?

A DPF is a device originally designed to filter diesel soot from the exhaust system of a diesel powered engine. They can be found in the mojority of modern day diesel powered vehicles from year 2006 to present. A DPF will trap a percentage of the diesel soot for only a certain amount of time (normally around 300 miles of driving) before a DPF regeneration is triggered.

A DPF Regeneration is when the vehicles Electronic Control Module will inject after pulses of diesel into the engine chambers commonly known as "Post Injection Pulses". This is done to increase Exhaust Gas Temperatures to unacceptable levels in order to burn out the trapped soot from the DPF.

Unfortunately, due to Post Injection Pulses of Fuel during a DPF regeneration, a certain amount of diesel will mix into the vehicles engine oil which have been often proved by an engine oil analysis and reports of Oil Level Rising.

What are the problems with DPF?
Diesel Particulate Filters have known to become problematic and some refer them as to a Failed Technology. Repairs or replacement DPF can cost 1000's.
The DPF, as can be seen in above image, poses a very tough restriction to the flow of exhaust gases. This can and does lead to premature turbo failure, O2 sensor failure, Power/Performance decrease, Lower MPG and shortens the life of the engine from Regenerations to unacceptable high Exhaust Gas Temperatures to a huge exhaust restriction coupled with diesel washed engine oil.

How to Remove DPF?

The DPF needs to be physically removed from the Exhaust System. Rather than purchasing a replacement DPF pipe, we recommend to gut out the existing DPF as per the image below:
Using our Interface Tuning Package you then plug it into the OBD port of your vehicle and upload our custom tune which disables all DPF regenerations and Sensors ensuring your vehicle will not enter Limp Mode or any fault codes will appear.
Benefits of DPF delete include:
Prolong Engine Life and Turbo
Significant Increase in MPG
Custom Tune will also include more Power / Torque & Economy
No more DPF regenerations = No more diesel washed engine oil
No more expensive DPF related problems or repairs
Ability to use Bio Fuel

This suppose to work for Sprinter vans.

dr.ona
01-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Just found this thread...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30477&highlight=spooling

lindenengineering
01-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Mr Custom Spooling!
(dr ona)

I was looking at you post and it raises the question, a very pertinent one in fact on the legality of conducting the modification(s) as explained on your web site.

Reading through the text I see at the foot of one page the brief clause:-
IMPORTANT: It is illegal to remove DPF from your vehicle in some states / countries. Please check or Mail us with any questions in relation to this. It is Legal to perform a DPF delete on your vehicle for Off Road Use.

I refer to the anti tampering regulations enforced by the EPA and with direct reference to EDGE Products mentioned in the text I have added here:-
http://www.trucknews.com/news/special-report-truck-news-investigation-finds-widespread-tampering-of-emissions-systems/1002145949/?&er=NA.

I raise these questions since a few years ago a small business near mine was installing Edge modifications on light duty domestic PU platforms. One such modification ( regen delete) resulted in an engine failure and a warranty rejection by the dealer and Cummins Engines in particular. The owner called in the EPA and Colorado State officials and the ensueing activities almost sunk the company and put the directors of the business into a legal challenge costing many thousands of dollars,

Can, or will you comment on the legality and how your system is different than those once offered by Edge Products and similar companies?
Dennis

dr.ona
01-16-2014, 01:55 PM
I was posting here seeing if anyone knew about this product.
I found a thread that had already discussed spooling.

It sounds as though you, lindenengineering, are asking me personally if as though I am responsible/knowledgeable for this product/website.

I am not and thus this is why I posted it.

Weird dude...

lindenengineering
01-16-2014, 02:30 PM

It sounds as though you, lindenengineering, are asking me personally if as though I am responsible/knowledgeable for this product/website.

Weird dude...

That's good because many could be goeded into believing that you are personally endorsing this "product".

Weird dude or not, I caution all who might contemplate doing emissions related defeats and claiming the Off Road Use Only "lame get out" clause. In short it is no defense.

Edge Tuning has a huge disclaimer now on its web side nowadays, this was a result of legal challenges so too is the more graphic one found on H&S tuning.
Example:-
http://www.edgeproducts.com/customer_support_article.php?csak=33ere's

So too is the purchase of a vehicle which has been modified. It may pass in the state where it was sold but may not comply in the buyer's state of residence. This can get very messy and I am speaking from an observer's experience.
Dennis

sailquik
01-16-2014, 02:48 PM
dr.ona,
Do a forum search on "Custom Spooling".
You will find lots of information on "Custom Spooling" (located in Dublin, Ireland) and it will
enable you to contact a member "dukepilot" who is the USA rep for Custom Spooling in Ireland.
The legalities......not going there!
Hope this helps,

dr.ona
01-16-2014, 07:07 PM
I guess I should've made myself clearer in my second post.
I did find more info using the search feature, and I'm not endorsing this product... actually the opposite and do not need anymore info.

Thanks...

flman
01-16-2014, 08:58 PM
I guess I should've made myself clearer in my second post.
I did find more info using the search feature, and I'm not endorsing this product... actually the opposite and do not need anymore info.

Thanks...

So dr. what do you want? :thinking:

dr.ona
01-17-2014, 02:27 AM
Nothing.
I was curious if anyone here knew anything about spooling in my first post.
My second post links a thread with 11 pages of discussion... I found that shortly after my first post.
Next thing I know, I'm being called out as though I'm trying to sell the product.

Sorry if I'm not being clear enough here.

For the record, I'm not endorsing this product nor do I want it.
Just a fellow Sprinter owner posting a question/topic on this forum.

MillionMileSprinter
01-17-2014, 03:21 AM
Next thing I know, I'm being called out as though I'm trying to sell the product.

Don't stop posting/asking questions. You just happened to wade into one of the "hot" topics on the forum.

flman
01-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Nothing.
I was curious if anyone here knew anything about spooling in my first post.
My second post links a thread with 11 pages of discussion... I found that shortly after my first post.

Sorry if I'm not being clear enough here.

For the record, I'm not endorsing this product nor do I want it.

Well, I did not think that, does not matter to me whether you are or not. And I never suspected for a moment that you were selling the tune.

dr.ona
01-17-2014, 12:22 PM
No worries...
Thanks!

mean_in_green
01-17-2014, 03:11 PM

Weird dude...

You've misunderstood then!

Trayscott
01-17-2014, 06:39 PM
It was very clear to me what you were asking Dr. Ona. Dennis is a great resource on here. Think one sentence was missed when Dennis read it

dr.ona
01-18-2014, 01:42 PM
No hard feelings..
Thanks.