Metra Antenna Connector for Pioneer AVIC-X940BT

driveon

I have removed my stock Sound 5 radio and installed a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT radio into a 2011 144WB Sprinter van and was successful with all the wiring hookups except for the factory antenna connector which I am having trouble locating the proper Metra part.

See the photo which shows the factory antenna harness connector which was previously connected to the Sound 5 radio.

I was told incorrectly by Metra customer service the part to use is Metra 40-VW-10 (this part DOES NOT fit the Sound 5 factory harness end).

So after reading another thread here on the forum I thought I would try Metra 40 EU 10 but discovered this part DOES NOT fit the sound 5 factory harness end.

I now have been told one of the two following parts should be used

Metra 40 VW12 (for use with non amplified antenna)
This part has the red plastic.
http://www.metraonline.com/part/40-VW12
See attached photo

OR

Metra 40 VW53
http://www.metraonline.com/part/40-VW53
see attached photo- this part has an additional blue cable attached to it which I am not sure where it should be connected to as I have already connected the blue antenna cable from the Metra harness to the AVIC-X940BT harness.

The description of the 40 VW53 indicates it should be used with an amplified antenna. I believe I should use part 40 VW 53 as I have an external rooftop mounted amplified antenna on the van.

Can anyone confirm which Metra part number is correct and if indeed the stock rooftop antenna on a 2011 144WB high roof Sprinter van is the amplified version?

Thank you.

Attachments

driveon

K9,

I had previously read the thread you mentioned but neither your posting or others were able to answer the specific Metra antenna parts required for replacing a sound 5 radio.

Mofo another member did post the parts he used for replacing a sound 20 radio but those parts do not work for a sound 5 radio replacement .

I have been told by Crutchfield the 40 VW12 is the correct part they sell.

However I wish to confirm that from others who have successfully installed that part in a 2011 Sprinter.

If anyone has knowledge and experience with replacing the sound 5 radio with a Pioneer AVIC-940BT in a 2011 Sprinter van please advise if the Metra 40 VW12 is the correct antenna adapter to use for connection to the factory antenna cable harness ?

thanks

K-9 SPRINTER

I replaced the sound 5 with avic 140bt ,, https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=204163#post204163 everything works great including steering wheel buttons
K9,

I had previously read the thread you mentioned but neither your posting or others were able to answer the specific Metra antenna parts required for replacing a sound 5 radio.

Mofo another member did post the parts he used for replacing a sound 20 radio but those parts do not work for a sound 5 radio replacement .

I have been told by Crutchfield the 40 VW12 is the correct part they sell.

However I wish to confirm that from others who have successfully installed that part in a 2011 Sprinter.

If anyone has knowledge and experience with replacing the sound 5 radio with a Pioneer AVIC-940BT in a 2011 Sprinter van please advise if the Metra 40 VW12 is the correct antenna adapter to use for connection to the factory antenna cable harness ?

thanks
:thinking:

Expert Marine

Electronics
I just did an install on my 07, and I have the same plug you have pictured. I used the 40-VW10, and reception is great. BTW: You have to push really hard to get it to click into place.

Last edited:
In my 2012 crew van I ordered part number Metra-eu10 which was the WRONG antenna adapter.....(crutchfield)
For the dash kit I ordered the CR1292b which is the correct dash kit.(crutchfield)
When I went to replace everything I noticed it was the wrong adaptor. So
I went to best buy and bought the correct antenna adapter and for the life of me I can't remember the model number. But it was for a Volkswagen also and they had it in stock .
The wire harness I bought from Sonic electronic. I'm almost positive it was model number XSVI-1784-NAV. That has everything you will need with leads for speed sensor (vss) and reverse leads. I just looked it up, that is the correct wire harness.

Last edited:

driveon

Thanks Expert Marine and Brian12345,

I received the Metra 40 VW-12 part from Crutchfield and can confirm it does fit.

It did require an extra careful push to make it connect.

The correct list of Metra parts which will work with a 2011 144WB Sprinter van in which a Sound 5 radio is to be replaced with a Pioneer AVIC -X940BT are as follows.

Metra 99-6512 - (double din in dash installation kit)
Axxess XSVI-1784 NAV (wiring harness)
Metra 40-VW-12 antenna adapter

I should add it was a great pleasure dealing with Crutchfield as I was finally able to receive the correct information and antenna adapter part after speaking with their tech support department.

I regret I made the mistake at first to deal with another online electronics company who multiple times gave me misinformation and sold me the wrong parts.

Sadly even after speaking to Metra directly I was incorrectly told twice the wrong antenna adapter part numbers.

I highly recommend to others if you are looking to reduce the amount of stress and wasted time spent on DIY electronic installs consider Crutchfield as their customer service is outstanding.

Last edited:
Thanks Expert Marine and Brian12345,

I received the Metra 40 VW-12 part from Crutchfield and can confirm it does fit.

It did require an extra careful push to make it connect.

The correct list of Metra parts which will work with a 2011 144WB Sprinter van in which a Sound 5 radio is to be replaced with a Pioneer AVIC -X940BT are as follows.

Metra 99-6512 - (double din in dash installation kit)
Axxess XSVI-1784 NAV (wiring harness)
Metra 40-VW-12 antenna adapter

I should add it was a great pleasure dealing with Crutchfield as I was finally able to receive the correct information and antenna adapter part after speaking with their tech support department.

I regret I made the mistake at first to deal with another online electronics company who multiple times gave me misinformation and sold me the wrong parts.

Sadly even after speaking to Metra directly I was incorrectly told twice the wrong antenna adapter part numbers.

I highly recommend to others if you are looking to reduce the amount of stress and wasted time spent on DIY electronic installs consider Crutchfield as their customer service is outstanding.
I agree mostly except crutchfield tech line are the ones that told me which antenna adapter to get.....and it was wrong so everybody has a "off-day"...lol
The parts you listed are correct and everyone should go off those part numbers. Thanks for sharing them.

Top Bottom