PDA

View Full Version : talk to me about spot rust on an NCV3

PaulDavis
01-13-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm really leaning toward buying a local used 2007 (Freightliner) Sprinter. Went and took a look at it today and it generally seems like a great deal. My one real concern was some spot rusting. There were little bits (typically < 1/4" wide and up to 2" long) on the insides of some of the doors (not the slider). I also went under the vehicle and note some even smaller spots of visible rust here and there around the chassis.

The seller just had the vehicle repainted. I've seen photos from before the repaint, and I don't see evidence of rust on the outside. The seller noted that the vehicle had been wrapped and the paint looked pretty bad after the removal.

What should my attitude be? Can I fix underbody rust spots myself? I feel comfortable handling the body stuff - it is small, and accessible and doesn't look too bad.

While I'm here: any thoughts on how bad it is to NOT have power mirrors?

creationsh
01-15-2014, 08:49 AM
I looked under my brand new sprinter and I also see orange looking rust. Not having power mirrors sucks, but not that bad as these mirrors are wide and tall enough for you not to worry about changing the angle of these mirrors every time you made a seat adjustment.

sailquik
01-15-2014, 10:51 AM
creationsh,
On your brand new Sprinter, are you sure the "orange looking rust" is not the sealer that MB uses.
The spray a lot of white, but in critical areas there is an overcoat of a different sealer that has some
orange color to it.?
Roger

carnut
01-16-2014, 04:13 AM
There were little bits (typically < 1/4" wide and up to 2" long) on the insides of some of the doors (not the slider). I also went under the vehicle and note some even smaller spots of visible rust here and there around the chassis...
What should my attitude be? ...

My thoughts are it's not worth more than 1/4 the price of a new one. Sprinter resale is generally too high to justify a used one from the rust belt IMO.
Rust on the bottom edge of the doors will probably be holes through the outer skin or at least bubbly paint in 3-5 years. No way to stop it. You can try and slow it down by grinding off the rust you can see and repainting, but it will always come back. The entry point for water and salt into the seam is inside the door. There is a reason manufacturers only offer a 5 year rust warranty.

Legwound
01-23-2014, 02:12 AM
can you elaborate on the water entry point?

My thoughts are it's not worth more than 1/4 the price of a new one. Sprinter resale is generally too high to justify a used one from the rust belt IMO.
Rust on the bottom edge of the doors will probably be holes through the outer skin or at least bubbly paint in 3-5 years. No way to stop it. You can try and slow it down by grinding off the rust you can see and repainting, but it will always come back. The entry point for water and salt into the seam is inside the door. There is a reason manufacturers only offer a 5 year rust warranty.

carnut
01-23-2014, 02:56 AM
can you elaborate on the water entry point?

The window seals are an entry point. Water runs down the glass. Most will be deflected over the seal,l but some runs to the ends and leaks in. It also seeps past the seal. Ever wash your car and have the window freeze shut? It's not so much the water as the dissolved salt that hurts. Spray from other vehicles constantly fogs the entire vehicle with salt and dirt slurry. When I park in a warm garage it dries out and you can literally see white powder crystals all over the body. I can run the vehicle through a car wash, bring it home, and have white rings on the floor the next morning.