PDA

View Full Version : DPF-any tests for it?

dubyajayes
01-09-2014, 02:40 PM
I am self-servicing my 2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500 RV, getting ready for my summer trip to Alaska, etc. I only use Mobil1 5W-40 Formula M (low ash) oil. I have pulled the EGR valve and cooler (the cooler was partially clogged, I used strands of copper wire from a #8 AWG cable to push through and clean every cooling vein, clean as a whistle now). Now I'm doing the transmission filter/fluid change, using Shell ATF134.
I want to pull the DPF. Can I see any light if I shine a bright light into the intake? Can I blow compressed air through it to clean? Or is my only choice (if needed) to take it to a shop with a DPF regen oven?
I don't have any known problems, unit runs good, but I don't want to get around the Artic Circle and have issues that maintenance can help avoid.
walt

Expert Marine
01-09-2014, 07:16 PM
I hope you have the dipstick tool and new clip for doing the transmission service.

You should be able to see light through the DPF if it's clear. Banging the intake part on a block of wood might shake some ash out of it, compressed air might also help. Good luck with this one... Let us know how it went.

icarus
01-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Why do you think your DPF needs "cleaning"?

It sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Icarus

showkey
01-09-2014, 09:47 PM
It is possible to more harm than good...........I would be very careful with washing, power washing, banging and other cleaning techniques. The DPF cleans itself of diesel particulate during regen........if you have been using the correct oil ASH clogging is much less of a concern especially at lower mileage. This DPF is more like catalyst with a filter and not filter like a Bauer cleaner that can be cleaned at home. There are services that attempt to clean them in a heated furnace system like a off car regen, but if ASH is bad it might not be cleanable.

Sounds like you have tried to cover one of the other weak links .........EGR.

Others have mentioned the MB. Scan tool can read in live data the pressure differential across the DPF thus telling its flow rate??????????? Might take some skill to interpret the sensor readings?????
Also it can tell how often the system is running regen.

4wheels
01-09-2014, 10:10 PM
My DPF was checked by MB Star. They said it was like new. I do have it on paper . Truck had 70k and I do use Mobil ESP . If you never had any glow plug not working , then I would never touch that DPF!

lindenengineering
01-10-2014, 02:02 AM
It is possible to more harm than good...........I would be very careful with washing, power washing, banging and other cleaning techniques. The DPF cleans itself of diesel particulate during regen........if you have been using the correct oil ASH clogging is much less of a concern especially at lower mileage. This DPF is more like catalyst with a filter and not filter like a Bauer cleaner that can be cleaned at home. There are services that attempt to clean them in a heated furnace system like a off car regen, but if ASH is bad it might not be cleanable.

Sounds like you have tried to cover one of the other weak links .........EGR.

Others have mentioned the MB. Scan tool can read in live data the pressure differential across the DPF thus telling its flow rate??????????? Might take some skill to interpret the sensor readings?????
Also it can tell how often the system is running regen.

I will second all this all this AND the ASH comment^^^^^:thumbup:

Currently I am making up some tees to tap into the vital areas of the system WITH the sensors in place so that I can read actual pressures against what the sensor is telling my scan tools and of course the PCM programming. By comparing what I see between virtual and actual might unlock some of the glitches/limp modes I have seen so far.
I have so far only subjected the system to furnace cleaning simply because I don't want to harm the brick, but I have looked at sonic cleaning devices but the cost is a bit overbearing.
Dennis

Compstall
01-10-2014, 09:24 AM
I currently have one of our extra DPF's at a place in Granite Falls, WA (FSX Equipment) to get it modified so it can be cleaned thoroughly. They cut the ends off and weld in flanges. I will take pics when it's done so you can see. We've had several trucks lately come down with DPF problems, all anywhere from 90,000 to 160,000 miles on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dubyajayes
01-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the inputs. No, it's not a solution looking for a problem. After 40 years in heavy industry, I learned that top level preventive maintenance is good policy. Plus I don't want issues that I could prevent while I'm traveling.