UK/EURO sources for Chrome DRW Wheels

sailquik

I'd like to have a set of the OEM 516/519 series (3500 USA) dual rims/wheels with a chrome finish rather than the OEM choices of Silver/White/Black paint.
I'm looking for the 18 hole 516/519 Rims already chromed.
I have a set (7) of the wheels in silver paint being shipped from Germany (via the MB parts system) and I'm also looking for a plating shop that would strip/detail/chrome the wheels that
are being shipped here.
I think the OEM wheels are made in Spain, so if there's anyone connected with the Hayes/Lemmertz or MB Wheel Factory there this might be a new business opportunity.
I've tried a couple of chrome shops, but they don't seem to do wheels.
There is a shop on the West Coast that does wheels, but shipping them out and back is going to cost some $$.
This seems like a much better option for the RV owners. No changing tires and valve stems to rotate your tires every 10K....much better looking than OEM silver paint, far better than the
silly looking and problem prone "simulators".
Anyone else interested?
Roger

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Roger,

Instead of conventional chrome plating what about chrome effect powder coat?

A quick Google search brings up plenty of options and images. I don't know how the finish compares but it appears that some OEM powder coat as standard ie Chevy.

Worth a look?

Keith.

Attachments

K-9 SPRINTER

TROLL TRAINER
You would think Alcoa would make a chromed 2 sided wheel(that could be run as dullies), they would sell sets of 6 instead of 4

sailquik

K-9 Sprinter,
I thought you could buy the Alcoa Forged Aluminum rims polished on both sides? No?
Seems to me there were 3 part numbers.
One polished so the offset is out (for the front wheels)
One polished so the offset is in (for the outer rear wheels)
On polished on both sides that can be fit either way.
The problem with that is that the rear axle studs on Sprinter 516/519 series dually rear wheel (3500's in the USA) are
not long enough to handle the thickness of 2 Alcoa forged wheel hubs.
I'm looking for a supplier of the regular OEM wheels, just chromed vs painted.
Looks like I'll have to get a set of them stripped/buffed/chromed/ polished somewhere here in the USA.
If any of you know a good chrome shop that does rims, let me know. Not having much luck so far.
Roger

K-9 SPRINTER

TROLL TRAINER
K-9 Sprinter,
I thought you could buy the Alcoa Forged Aluminum rims polished on both sides? No?
Seems to me there were 3 part numbers.
One polished so the offset is out (for the front wheels)
One polished so the offset is in (for the outer rear wheels)
On polished on both sides that can be fit either way.
The problem with that is that the rear axle studs on Sprinter 516/519 series dually rear wheel (3500's in the USA) are
not long enough to handle the thickness of 2 Alcoa forged wheel hubs.
I'm looking for a supplier of the regular OEM wheels, just chromed vs painted.
Looks like I'll have to get a set of them stripped/buffed/chromed/ polished somewhere here in the USA.
If any of you know a good chrome shop that does rims, let me know. Not having much luck so far.
Roger
no... no polish both sides, only brushed both sides
http://www.alcoa.com/global/en/products/product.asp?prod_id=4022

I know that you cant run 2 alcoas in rear due to thickness, thats why I dont understand Alcoas not making and marketing a set of 6 instead of 4 (unless they cant manufacture to OEM specs for tech reasons

Last edited:

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
K-9 Sprinter,
... The problem with that is that the rear axle studs on Sprinter 516/519 series dually rear wheel (3500's in the USA) are not long enough to handle the thickness of 2 Alcoa forged wheel hubs. ...
Roger
Although Alcoa originally said not to mount dual alloy wheels on the Sprinter in their 2008 Technical Bulletin. They updated the Technical Bulletin in 2009 and now say: "Alcoa has now verified and approved part number 250800 and its associated polish options for dual aluminum rear application on the current Sprinter 3500 (NCV3 model; 2007-present)."

Alcoa Technical Bulletins here:
http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/north_america/en/info_page/tech_bulletins.asp

Latest (2009) Bulletin on Sprinter wheels attached FYI.

Attachments

Top Bottom