Koni shock failure

calbiker

My Koni shock blew its seal while driving in Baja. I had the shock adjustment to max on my '06 3500 Winnebago MH. I've often wondered if the shock is really designed to absorb that much energy or if the seal isn't up to the task at the max damping setting. I believe it's Koni's philosophy that the shock be installed at the min setting and as the shock ages and damping deceases, the setting can be increased. The min setting may have comparable or slightly better damping than the stock shock. We all know that the stock shock has insufficient damping.

I'm about 1000 miles south of Tijuana. Guess we can say Koni failed the Baja 1000.

Koni has not answered my email request for warranty assistance.

Have there been any other reports of shock failures? My shock is totally covered in oil.

Cal

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
My Koni shock blew its seal while driving in Baja. I had the shock adjustment to max on my '06 3500 Winnebago MH. I've often wondered if the shock is really designed to absorb that much energy or if the seal isn't up to the task at the max damping setting. I believe it's Koni's philosophy that the shock be installed at the min setting and as the shock ages and damping deceases, the setting can be increased. The min setting may have comparable or slightly better damping than the stock shock. We all know that the stock shock has insufficient damping.

I'm about 1000 miles south of Tijuana. Guess we can say Koni failed the Baja 1000.

Koni has not answered my email request for warranty assistance.

Have there been any other reports of shock failures? My shock is totally covered in oil.

Cal
Sorry to here it Cal.
I would just order another single shock from Europarts in SD.
I am medium happy with my rear Koni's set full firm, no Baja 1000 yet.

calbiker

I'm disappointed in Koni. They haven't responded to my emails regarding warranty. They claim lifetime warranty, but refuse to reply. What type of outfit is that? :idunno:

I should be getting a Monroe shock in a few days through the local mechanic.

Tough times in Baja waiting for the shock. :smirk:

Bad Koni

glasseye

That does look truly awful. Our sympathies. :dripsarcasm:

Can you post the GPS coordinates of that superb location? :hmmm:

lindenengineering

Sorry to read the Koni experience didn't live up to expectations.

Frankly I am not surprised based upon a personal experience with their shock absorbers.
Back in the late 80's I did a series of Railbus trials here in the USA mostly down the east coast.

It can be said that the track conditions are generally not as good as Euro rail systems where passenger traffic does not mix with freight. Consequently the suspension was subjected to much higher reversals on class 3,4, & 5) than was experienced by similar operations in Europe. (exception the AMTRAC dedicated lines from Boston to Washington DC. (then class 7)

It didn't take long for their shock absorbers to blow their guts out once we had the unit in service. Even being from a large multi national corporation we didn't get much sense out of them quite frankly. Looking for a quick solution when I got to into Virginia I contacted the Monroe group who within a few days supplied us with some "one off units" which I installed in Winston Salem & lasted for the remaining two years of trails across the USA.

From then on I have never recommended their units, the standard fit is Monroe as far as I can see on production Sprinters, although I have been installing KYB due more to availability than anything else.
Dennis.
ps
For curiosity sake, here's a piccy of the said Railbus now back in the UK with a private line operator.
The top left picture is the unit with SEPTA on the Newtown Pottstown branch line---Yours truly at the desk in the middle.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bre...YH5D1oAS1yIG4CQ&ved=0CFIQsAQ&biw=1296&bih=705

calbiker

No, never added additional leaf-springs. I did evaluate the latest version of "rubber springs" from Supersprings. These springs (Sumo springs) attach at the rear rubber bumper location (like Timbren) and also to the rear axle. That means, when the suspension expands, the Sumo spring is forced to expand. The Sumo spring is always engaged, whether you're in compression or rebound. Timbrens on the other hand disengage during rebound. I had removed these springs for the Baja trip. My biggest problem is damping. The Sprinter rocks too much. Uneven dirt roads are nasty. My center of gravity is too high. Though the Sumo springs add damping, it wasn't enough.

I measured the damping ratio of my suspension (with the Koni shocks) a few years ago. It's a woeful 0.08. And that's with the shock adjustment at max. Cars have about 0.2. I'll be testing Monroe shocks when I get back. I'm beginning to believe Koni is over-hyped.

My location: N 24 deg 06.425', W 109 deg 59.669'. If you got Koni's, then bring a spare Monroe shock. :2cents: Camping is free. It does blow here, as this is a windsurfing/kite boarding location.

Cal

Curious... did ever install additional or upgrade your leaf-springs?

Straw Dog

Great photo, you lucky dog, I am jealous. :bow: I love it down there on the east cape. I have spent a bit of time in the winters windsurfing in the Los Barriles area.
Have you been to Cabo Pulmo just south of you? If not it is worth the trip for the scenery and amazing diving/snorkeling.
Good luck with the shock repair
SS

4xSprinter

Smarter Than Dirt
While that shock is obviously leaking, it doesn't look "wet" enough to have lost most of its fluid and is probably damping as it should. Can you notice a performance difference? If not, don't worry about it until you get the chance to replace it.

calbiker

Haven't been there. I was doing some mountain biking is Los Barilles last year. There's some top notch trails right where I'm camped.

I was over in your neck of the woods last October, in South Padre Island. The wind was very light though.

Since last Friday, I got a Monroe shock on the back. The local mechanic installed it for $12. I gave him the torque spec and he just chuckled.

What first alerted me to something wrong was that I was hearing noises when the suspension rocked. I first though the torsion bar was loose. That shock is toast.

Cal

Have you been to Cabo Pulmo just south of you?
SS

calbiker

To Koni's credit, they replaced my blown shock this week. Once back in the US, I was able to contact them and get the ball rolling.

Cal

Top Bottom