PDA

View Full Version : 2014 4cyl heat

01-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Anyone able to offer some feedback on interior heat produced by the 4 cylinder engine. Preferably someone located in Canada

sailquik
01-06-2014, 12:28 AM
With the electric heater booster, a small amount of heat is available in a couple of minutes.
If you drive right off, with the temp control turned all the way up to the Defrost symbol, put the heater blower on #4 (4 bars is the highest setting)
kinda close down the driver's and passengers dash vents, and put the flow control pointing all the way up to Defrost the windshield, and then drive off normally you will have decent heat in about 1-2 miles. After 4 or 5 miles, the engine temp gets > 150 deg. F.
Open the dash vents and turn the flow control to the 9 O'clock position (straight to the left toward the steering column) and if you leave the blower on high it will practically burn your fingers if you put them near the dash outlets.
Plenty of heat, fairly quickly, but you must simply drive off and let the engine heat up the way it's designed to.
Hope this helps,
Roger
P.S. It's been down in the low 20's/high teens here the last few days and we may get single digits tomorrow night.
Not subzero like you folks in the frozen north, but the Sprinter makes heat pretty quickly if you don't let it sit and
idle. On start up it will go to 1500 RPM then settle back to around 850 (normal hot engine idle being 760 RPM).
It will not upshift before it reaches ~2800 in the lower gears until the engine coolant gets up to ~ 120 deg.
If it upshifts and tries to go into 7th gear, it's probably better to downshift and keep the revs in the 2000-2800 range
until the coolant temp reaches 150 deg. F.

jsilver
01-06-2014, 03:26 AM
Good info, Roger, thanks... Is there any way to display the coolant temperature? Even on a non-numeric scale (I remember lots of cars w/ temperature gauges that were just needles that moved along an arced line, w/o any numbers, just some kind of notation that the vehicle was overheating).

John

sailquik
01-06-2014, 04:12 AM
John,
Well, there is a temperature readout if you have the steering wheel buttons. It looks like a thermometer and is accessed by pressing the page button until you get the main readout....then press the Up or Down buttons until you see the temperature.
Not real accurate.
I read my engine coolant temperature from the Scan Gauge II.... digital.... accurate to a degree.... uses the same sensors that engine management
uses so I know exactly what Engine management is responding too.
Yet another good reason for a Scan Gauge II.

zither99
01-06-2014, 04:23 AM
heat is excellent, especially with aux heater booster. heats up better than any vehicle i have driven

01-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Oh wow your in Edmonton and you say the heat is good. My 2011 is good until the temperature hits -20. Then on the highway its a challange keeping it warm without running the aux heater. Thanks for your input.