2008 Sprinter TPMS Issue -- Front - Rear Confusion?

Hi guys,

On my new-to-me '08 Sprinter, the TPMS system has been having a couple little issues since I bought the van a few weeks ago. The issues are always present, and there are two:

TPMS is confused about which wheels are on the front and which are on the rear. Pressures are correct, as per the door placard, but the van thinks that the two front wheels are mounted on the rear and vice versa...so on the display where I see all four corners with pressure, the two lower pressure tires are showing up on the rear.

I have steering wheel controls, for what it's worth.

Second issue is that the vehicle does not find a sensor for the right front wheel. In fact, I think it means the right rear wheel (see above issue), and that would make sense because the right rear valve stem is shiny and new, so I think the dealership might have installed a new TPMS module but didn't know how to or wasn't able to get the system to recognize it.

Is there a way for me to correct these issues? The owners manual doesn't seem to say anything about a system reset or what to do when the wheels are rotated front to rear...

Thanks!

lindenengineering

Ben
In the business we have a hand tool to read if the TPMS sensor is working or not. They come in various shapes and flavours. OTC/ Snap On /and of course the factory stuff et al

Second from my opinion/experience the MB sensor is the only one that works in spite of tyre shops claiming the contrary. Cost for a new one is around $115 per wheel plus install.

Now with an appropriate scanner you can activate and move the readings about so a dealer or good Independent shop should be able to do this for you.
First task though s to verify each sensor is active.
Cheers Dennis

Ben
In the business we have a hand tool to read if the TPMS sensor is working or not. They come in various shapes and flavours. OTC/ Snap On /and of course the factory stuff et al

Second from my opinion/experience the MB sensor is the only one that works in spite of tyre shops claiming the contrary. Cost for a new one is around $115 per wheel plus install.

Now with an appropriate scanner you can activate and move the readings about so a dealer or good Independent shop should be able to do this for you.
First task though s to verify each sensor is active.
Cheers Dennis
Thanks much Dennis. I'll see if my friend has the capability access the system via the Autologic he has at his shop.

I suppose another option for now would be to simply swap wheels front-rear so that the pressures being reported were at least in the right spots -- that would eliminate half the problem. The tires look quite new so I don't imagine it would hurt anything.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
You should rotate all 5 tires for maximum tread life. The tires are not unidirectional. The spare does not have a sending unit so TPMS light will be on when the spare is used unless you add a sending unit to that wheel. Not a big deal since they still make tire pressure gages like the old days.

You should rotate all 5 tires for maximum tread life. The tires are not unidirectional. The spare does not have a sending unit so TPMS light will be on when the spare is used unless you add a sending unit to that wheel. Not a big deal since they still make tire pressure gages like the old days.
Thanks, I had read that the spare does not have a TPMS sender in it. My van has senders on all four wheels, but as I said the one that doesn't seem to be communicating with the system is new judging by the condition of the valve stem.

Top Bottom