PDA

View Full Version : oil on sale @ O'Reilly - Jan 2014

Düsseldorfer
01-04-2014, 01:08 AM
Mobil1 5W40 ESP is on sale at the O'Reilly auto parts chain currently. Regular price $11.99, sale price $5.99.

(Cue knucklehead to ask if that is the right one for a diesel Sprinter-- now why the heck do you think I'm mentioning it here, son? :laughing: )

I just picked up 8qt and cleared out that store, so I will be on the hunt for 7 more before the sale runs out-- I like to have a full oil change plus make-up oil on the shelf. You only have to pay full price once to learn the lesson that the sales are not to be missed.

I haven't been posting much lately, but have been putting some miles on the silbergrau fliegende Backstein. The most recent trip had me going to Massachusetts to pick up a 2700lbs vertical mill, which hauled nicely in the cargo area along with about 500lbs of tools and support equipment. From there we traveled across to Iowa to pick up a really nice 1800lbs radial drill, which I bolted to a small utility trailer and hauled home. This was the first time towing an unbraked trailer-- usually if I'm towing it's a car hauler with surge brakes, UHaul has made a fortune off of me-- and it went very smoothly. And this despite some decidedly wintry weather, as you can see in the photo of the van in Swedesburg, Iowa. (The radial drill is a rare Swedish machine, and I am apparently a guy with time on my hands.) Gas mileage was ~20mpg even loaded down and towing, at least when temps were above the teens.

Düsseldorfer
01-05-2014, 12:39 AM
One additional note: the sale price apparently does not appear in the computer system (sometimes? not clear-- wasn't a problem yesterday), so you may have to argue a little. The print ad is pretty clear; I didn't have any trouble getting the sale price after showing them that.

Expert Marine
01-05-2014, 03:05 AM
Can you post up the printed add?

glas1700
01-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Can you post up the printed add?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/currentad/get.oap

nctrailseeker
01-05-2014, 08:38 PM
:yell:
Not formula M. That sucks!

FlyingBreadBox
01-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Not at Northern CA, O'Reillys...

eralimited57
01-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Just returned from my O'Reilly's with 15 qts sitting on the counter and they would not sell it to me for the $5.99 price...the guy behind the counter called someone at O'Reilly corporate and they said they could not authorize it...so I left the store with ZERO quarts of ESP..

I am going to call the O'Reilly customer service center in the morning and see how far I can get...

wmlog
01-05-2014, 11:11 PM
Is the oil that is supposedly 'on sale', the correct oil?

The wrong oil on sale doesn't help much.

:idunno:

eralimited57
01-05-2014, 11:16 PM
The ad says Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30 and that it only excludes all motorcycle oil..

I told the guy that it does not say that it excludes ESP or any other formulation...nor does it say it is only for 5W-30.

I am going to call the O'Reilly customer service number tomorrow morning..

nctrailseeker
01-05-2014, 11:32 PM
From what I've read here on this forum, if it's the NCV3 that you're buying the oil for, it's wrong. O'Reilly does not carry the formula M as required. So if it's not formula M, and you're not running a V6 3.0, this rant is listed in the wrong category.

:idunno: Just sayin'

sailquik
01-06-2014, 12:14 AM
If you go to the main O'Rielly website, the correct Mobil 1 5W-40 ESP Formula M is available..... for $11.99....definitely not on sale for $5.99/qt.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MOB4/1540ESP/N1189.oap?ck=Search_N1189_-1_2400&pt=N1189&ppt=C0252
You might talk them into selling you the T1N (OM-612/OM-647) Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula, but they probably won't
discount the 5W-40 ESP Formula M by $6.00.
Hope this helps,
Roger
This is why I pay ~$6.59 for the correct Mobil 1 5W-40 ESP Formula M at the my favorite Sprinter Commercial Dealer's Service Center.

nctrailseeker
01-07-2014, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=Düsseldorfer;275348]Mobil1 5W40 ESP is on sale at the O'Reilly auto parts chain currently. Regular price $11.99, sale price $5.99.

(Cue knucklehead to ask if that is the right one for a diesel Sprinter-- now why the heck do you think I'm mentioning it here, son? :laughing: )

This might be the right oil for some, but not for the Sprinter 3.0 motor. Not sure why anyone would PM me to tell me I'm wrong and they're right about this? If I'm wrong, shouldn't it be public so I could understand why my MB dealer tells me "use formula M only"?

Now Düsseldorfer, when you send me a message saying... "Naturally, it is the correct oil. You can find this out on the web, or you could just read the back of the bottle.
Look at my join date, Sheesh

Just saying. If you, or myself for that matter, are misleading the new Sprinter owners, and causing them to purchase oil that is incorrect for their NCV3 Sprinter, what does that tell them about this Forum in general?
Not trying to call anyone out, but we need to be cautious what information we share in making sure it is the proper & correct information.

eralimited57
01-07-2014, 10:30 PM
//

buddyma
01-08-2014, 01:10 PM
That had to be a mistake.I have to go to a supplier to get a good price,I cant find it any place its a special order.Call Mobile one 800 # in the supplier in your area,I pay $6.88 a qt.I found my dealer was using Mobile One, and it wasn't ESP low ash as you need to keep from having to spend $2300 for a new cat.

tmotorguzzi
01-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Does anyone know if change the oil on my first 10,000 miles if it will null and void the mercedes warranty? And does anyone know if i change the oil will I get some idiot lite that i can't get rid of and only the dealer can? I'd appreciate if someone could chime in. Thanks.I'll be going to O'Reileys to get some oil .

sailquik
01-16-2014, 11:01 PM
tmotorguzzi,
If you save the receipt for 13 quarts of Low SPAsh oil meeting MB Bevo 229.51 from O'Reilly's, go to an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter or Freightliner dealer and buy an oil filter with a Mercedes Benz part number on it (O'Rielly's does not have these...ever) and save that receipt as well, your warranty will not be voided.
But who is going to do all the other 2.5 pages of things listed in your Maintenance Manual that must be performed at your first "A" service?
Be sure to pay attention to the list on Page 11 under "Tighten Nuts and Bolts"
Once as part of the first Service A
Retighten nuts and bolts
Rear axle: retighten u-bolts

And, you may be able to reset your Maintenance Monitor using your steering wheel buttons and then again maybe not.
For my money it's WAAAAAAY easier to take it back to the authorized Mercedes Benz or Freightliner dealer where you bought it
and have them do your first "A" service.
They will use the correct oil...and it may cost the same or less than your can buy it for at O'Reilly's
They will use the correct MB oil filter.... Not the cheaper brands that can disintegrate that you might get from O'Reilly's
They will put your Sprinter up on their lift where it's easy to re-torque the rear axle U-bolts and they also know the correct torque...do you?
Plus they will do all the other 2.5 pages of line items that make up your first Service, they will fill in and sign your maintenance log,
and you will have no issues getting them to honor your warranty.
And they will do any recalls/software/firmware upgrades MB engineering has authorized for your new vehicle plus reset your
maintenance monitor.
Your choice!
Hope this helps,
Roger

Aqua Puttana
01-16-2014, 11:59 PM
I own a 2001 Jayco 23b hybrid travel trailer. It had some problems because the previous owner didn't do some basic maintenance. I purchased it at a decent, not wonderful, price from a dealership basically as is. Some of the water damage included roof and flooring issues. As I have had great luck here on Sprinter-source I went to some RV/trailer forums for advice. I was surprised at the number of people who responded that I should take the trailer to a dealership for "proper" repairs. At the time of my questions by model year my trailer was 12 years old. A 12 year old trailer is "used up" by some people's standards.

The cost of dealership repair would likely exceed the cost of replacing the trailer with a newer (not brand new) unit. In suggesting the dealership option they weren't answering my question, but instead giving me their philosophy. I guess that we all tend to do that, but in the case of my older travel trailer it wasn't very helpful. Needless to say I was able to return the travel trailer to proper service (for my use) without involving a dealership.

Does anyone know if [I] change the oil on my first 10,000 miles if it will null and void the mercedes warranty?
In the USA, by law, it will not. You do need to maintain accurate service records which can be substantiated.

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act a vehicle manufacturer also may not specify/require fluids or other materials by brand name for warranty compliance.

And does anyone know if i change the oil will I get some idiot lite
No idiot light, but there is a days or mileage reminder which will torment you.
that i can't get rid of and only the dealer can?
It can be reset by the owner. I think that the info you need resides as a "Sticky" in the top of the NCV3 section of the forum.
I'd appreciate if someone could chime in. Thanks.I'll be going to O'Reileys to get some oil .
You can keep up on basic maintenance, but if you take your Sprinter to a dealership it will include a specific list of items to address which are over and above the basic fluid changes. For instance: I believe that one item which is supposed to be done is tightening/re-torquing the rear spring fasteners. If that isn't done, then going by posts here, you can have problems in the future. There are other items on the list too. My opinion is that you are probably better off taking your Sprinter to the dealership for at least the first service interval, but that is not necessary to maintain your warranty.

:2cents:

vic

tadeo1
01-17-2014, 02:45 AM
I am realy sick of Mercedes and the "M" type oil and the "@#$%$#@^" type fuel filter and all this "special" crazy gadgets to be used in their cars so something will go wrong tomorrow at 20K, 30K and now 40K miles. Fortunately I bought an extended warranty for my 2008, if I had to pay for everything that went wrong, it would cost the value of the van.
I am seriously waiting for the Dodge RAM PROMASTER to observe a year or so and change it for
the Sprinter and this time it will be a gasoline engine, a Chrysler V6 that anyone can service and
if it comes to MPG, if I get in a PROMASTER 18MPG at $3.75 against diesel at 20MPG, $4.29 I will be even. A $180 fuel filter change and $120 oil change is not acceptable to me.