Advice on new Sprinter order

colinh

After months of being inspired and educated by the community here, I'm ready to buy a new 144 Sprinter. My intent is to build a high rear bed with storage for bikes under, swiveling seats with a small removable table between, a small galley behind the drivers seat and a cupboard with portapotty on the passenger side. Being of hobbit stature I'll be comfortable sleeping side-to-side.

I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice:

1. Should I modify the default cargo suspension in any way - e.g. comfort springs? This will be the 144 with a fairly basic build, but still with tanks, solar, some cabinetry etc. No intention of towing. How would I decide?

2. I really like the Tenorite grey, but being in CA I'm concerned about it soaking up the heat more than lighter colors. With insulation etc. is this likely to be an issue?

3. The factory rear view camera displays through the standard Audio 15 unit. Could an aftermarket camera be connected to the Audio 15 for a lot less than $640?

4. I was thinking of using Cartelligent's buying service to avoid the stress of talking with dealers. Any experience with these guys?

Thanks for any advice,
Colin
--
Santa Cruz, CA

Proposed Option List:

D03 High roof ($2415)
755 Tenorite Grey Metallic ($990)
RL5 Light alloy wheels ($795)
VU9 Leatherette black upholstery ($70)
MS1 Cruise control ($355)
L16 Fog lamps ($210)
SH9 Window airbags ($610)
X22 Trailer hitch package ($350)
D13 Mounting rails for roof rack ($260)
W16 Window front left ($125)
W17 Window front right ($125)
W70 Window tinted rear ($120)
W61 Windows is rear doors ($80)
W27 Rear left side window (?)
W28 Rear right side window (?)
C39 Rear spring, comfort ($135)
CT1 Vibration absorbers ($120)

Jvimpty

After months of being inspired and educated by the community here, I'm ready to buy a new 144 Sprinter. My intent is to build a high rear bed with storage for bikes under, swiveling seats with a small removable table between, a small galley behind the drivers seat and a cupboard with portapotty on the passenger side. Being of hobbit stature I'll be comfortable sleeping side-to-side.

I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice:

1. Should I modify the default cargo suspension in any way - e.g. comfort springs? This will be the 144 with a fairly basic build, but still with tanks, solar, some cabinetry etc. No intention of towing. How would I decide?

2. I really like the Tenorite grey, but being in CA I'm concerned about it soaking up the heat more than lighter colors. With insulation etc. is this likely to be an issue?

3. The factory rear view camera displays through the standard Audio 15 unit. Could an aftermarket camera be connected to the Audio 15 for a lot less than $640?

4. I was thinking of using Cartelligent's buying service to avoid the stress of talking with dealers. Any experience with these guys?

Thanks for any advice,
Colin
--
Santa Cruz, CA
I just built a 144 high roof similar to what you describe. I wouldn't get the factory side glass as it doesn't open. I used some CR Laurence windows with built in screens, added a fantastic fan to get cross ventilation.

The glass will add to your solar/heating load too, consider not getting full glass to reduce this and as a bonus you'll be able to have privacy in the rear of the van for sleeping etc.

I was able to work with dealer to get fleet only optional swivel seat bases and I highly recommend this. The aftermarket swivels jack the seats up (1-2") and rattle after they break in. The factory installed option doesn't rattle and the seat bases are made lower so the seats still sit at normal height. The factory option also gives you a folding handbrake.

I went with the heavier rear spring to carry the loaded build out. I will haul moto on hitch and tow occasionally too.

Another option i found economical and really helpful was the cargo protection package (includes plastic side walls, and L Track on walls and floor). The plastic walls house insulation nicely and the L-Tracks are great for locating frames to make your cabinetry/bunk. I used the floor L-Track to mount the bench seat for easy removal should I need to "gut" the camper to haul a big item.

Also with your hobbit-stature, maybe opt for standard roof? You'll pick up some MPG and if you drive wooded backroads and forest roads scrape branches a lot less. I had a 140 high roof T1N prior to this 144 NCV3 and needed the high roof to be able to stand. If you can get your bunk high enough to clear bikes (mine store with seats dropped or post removed and front wheel off) under the bunk and still be able to sit up in the bed with the low roof then I would seriously consider it. The NCV3 is 4" taller inside than my older T1N was but I still needed the high roof to make this work for me.

Hope that helps, I'm new here but dug around quite a bit to learn what other DIY folks on here had success with. I'm sure others will chime in.

Jeremy

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Get the sliding door assist handle.
Get the rear door assist handles on each side.
Definitely get the window in the sliding door for safer lane changes.
Consider the two stage stop for the slider door.
Get two additional keys.
AGM vehicle battery?
Front overhead storage bin and console.
Hinged lid for center stack bin.
Overhead light group.
Upgrade seats?
Rear 12 volt power outlet?
Power heated mirrors.

sailquik

You probably cannot get an aftermarket back up camera to work with the Audio 15.
AND
If you get something other than the factory installed back up camera, at some point you will wish you had
the factory unit.
Get the suspension seats....Pricey....yeah and worth every penny of that price.
I'd order the factory towing package, if for no other reason than you might want to put a rack on the back at
some point and you will have the hitch already installed. If you should decide to tow something, it will be factory
prewired as well. $410 option, but I don't think you will find a full 7,500 lb capacity hitch and the factory installed
wiring for less than twice that figure.
You can get something cheaper, but it won't have the functionality.
I would strongly suggest the Bi-Xenon headlights and the entire Safety Package Plus....again, pricey, but you will love
all the things it does and it's overall integration with the rest of your new Sprinter.
No way you can add any of the safety features after the fact and they are not available aftermarket anywhere.
Hope this helps,
Roger

6cyclone6

Order the extra keys for sure ($105 for 2 or $180 each plus labor later). Consider the "driver efficiency" package which groups the camera and nav. If you want the swivel seats order it that way for sure. If you want a easy order process without a 3rd party send me an email, and I will make an offer on pricing structure that will be transparent and hassle free. troym@mbobr.com

mofo989

Glass in back limits height of the bed to below the windows (usually depending on how you configure a bed platform). The window height is too low to fit many bikes standing up with the front wheel removed (ie., fork mount). Your idea of bikes under the bed will be best if you you don't get glass the rear-most glass (i.e, crew style), and raise the bed platform up a little. However, sleeping width side-to-side will become more narrow the higher you raise the bed I'm 5'10" and side-to-side just barely works at the bottom of the windows.

colinh

Wow! What a great group. Thanks all for your thoughts!

I thought about the factory swivels. I'm sure these are the best approach for most folks, however I'd tended away from them because in my case increasing the seat height by a couple of inches might be a good thing - so long as I won't platform shoes to reach the pedals?

I'll take out the rear side windows as suggested, order the tow package, keys, hinged lid, assist handles etc., and will re-consider some of the pricier options missing from my list.

Regarding ventilation, I was thinking a Fantastik vent some way forwards, and an opening marine hatch above the bed as opposed to opening windows. A dumb idea?

Much as I love the look of the low roof, it did feel more claustrophobic when we visited a dealer, and would preclude our adding upper storage cabinets in the future.

As for the safety package - I'd skipped that on the basis that I have a significant other who tells me the moment I drift or drive too close, so the technology seemed redundant :smilewink:

Thanks also for the pointer to the Cartelligent lawsuit; while I did see a few grumbles online by unhappy employees I'd missed the suit. A friend locally suggested I start with a car price report from Consumer Reports instead.

Thanks again for everything!

Colin
--
Santa Cruz, CA

rb3232

I would order front insulation. Inexpensive option I believe and should be difficult to do after the fact. I also like the half open slider door stop, extra keys and hinged lid. If you are ever going to want a row of passenger seats now is the time to order that provision.

Although not as refined, chinese aftermarket parksense can be bought for less than $40 instead of $900? It's only a 144, do you need the Mercedes camera?

good luck, Ross

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton

Regarding ventilation, I was thinking a Fantastik vent some way forwards, and an opening marine hatch above the bed as opposed to opening windows. A dumb idea?

Colin
--
Santa Cruz, CA
I have a Maxxair fan located at the back over the bed platform. No remote because I can reach the fan from the bed platform. No rain sensor because Maxxair has rain proof cover. Maxxair can be fully open when driving. The gearbox will fail if you drive with it partially open. If I want air flow from front to back, I can open the cab windows. I also have a hole in the floor so I can get airflow from under the van up and out the fan without the front windows open.

K-9 SPRINTER

TROLL TRAINER

I thought about the factory swivels. I'm sure these are the best approach for most folks, however I'd tended away from them because in my case increasing the seat height by a couple of inches might be a good thing - so long as I won't platform shoes to reach the pedals?
Factory swivels will not increase the seat height, they use the low seat base that is used for the suspension seats, that is why you cant get both from the factory. Raising the seat higher than OEM is NOT safe

When I ordered my '14 3 weeks ago, my salesman advised me to NOT get the MB back-up camera which interfaces with the Audio 15, but to go with an RV monitor/rear-view mirror combo, with the camera unobtrusively built into the hi-mount center stop lamp. I followed his advice; hope I won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom