Equalizer System For Sprinter?

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
I have a 2008 Sprinter / 2010 Winnebago ERA 170XL coach. My wife doesn't like the rocking motion when we are parked and people or someone is moving about in the coach.

I am considering installing these:

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Stabi-Lite-Electric-Stabilizer-System-p/8849am.htm

Can anyone tell me any reason(s) why I should not install these on my coach..

I just looked a some postings that showed multiple cracks in a sprinter frame near the rear of the chassis.....just a fluke that I came across those pics but they made me think ... are these a good idea or not..

I appreciate your feedback

HAS ANYONE INSTALLED THESE....TELL ME ABOUT THEM PLEASE

Last edited:

chromisdesigns

Have you added a sway bar or koni shocks yet?
That doesn't affect rocking when the vehicle is parked. His OL is complaining about the relatively compliant suspension -- one of the reasons our rigs ride so well -- because when parked, moving around causes the coach to rock.

Shouldn't be a problem as far as chassis loading is concerned, they are NOT levelers, just stop the rocking, so they really bear very little weight when in use. They aren't intended to lift the rig, like a leveling system.

Only thing you might consider is losing 80 lbs or so carrying capacity, as you might be pretty close to gross weight already.

eralimited57

We love the ride of our sprinter...it rides so nice and smooth don't want to modify the suspension....and yes they dont lift just prevent rocking so pads are meant to just touch ground .. not for lifting...I agree...

and yes will add some weight to unit

other option is to use a couple of bottle jacks and get dirty...:thumbdown:

BBlessing

61k happy miles
if it were me, I would go to a wrecking yard and buy 4 scissor jacks. much lighter than the system linked above or bottle jacks. cheaper too!

bb

eralimited57

Tried bottle jacks today and it still wobbled...I will try to get my hands on 4 scissor jacks...and use some wood underneath them...

Last edited:

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
Our 2013 Serenity has those stabilizers and while they reduce the rocking, the RV is still on the suspension system so it will never be like a house. Four jacks that lift the vehicle off the suspension would be the only way to remove any movement... Al

pfflyer

Where would you place these assuming you are already level? I assume on the frame but close to the axles or farther out? Would raise just past the point of contact to stabilize? Only have 3 nights in the van and haven't noticed any rocking but I bet the next time we camp in it I will. Thank you very much.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Where would you place these assuming you are already level? I assume on the frame but close to the axles or farther out? Would raise just past the point of contact to stabilize? Only have 3 nights in the van and haven't noticed any rocking but I bet the next time we camp in it I will. Thank you very much.
I would place them at the MB jacking points - https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26152
If jacks are tight there should be no vertical motion. I used them often on my previous trailer RV.

George.

eralimited57

the bottle, now I call the bobble jacks cause the bobble around allow for too much wobble...

tomorrow I am going to try 4 scissors jacks sitting on top of some 2x6s

well see how that works out and I will follow up with the outcome...thanks everyone

and yes I am bearing the jacks on the MB specified lift points for tire changes...

eralimited57

I decided to go with the following and I tried it out and it worked very well...

It is a bit of work to set up but I would do anything for my wife :thumbup:

I bought 4 scissors jacks from Harbor Frieight...they are well made (yes they are imported) and compact yet rated at 1.5 ton and the price was right.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-ton-scissor-jack-66907.html

They were perfect because I can use the engagement end of the "handle" to run the jack up and down using my DeWalt drill motor and the end fit right into the chuck in the drill :rad:

The part that touches the vehicle turns and it is not flat hence it "locks" or sort of clamps on the U bracket lift features on the Sprinter so that they wont slide around....I was a little concerned about scraping off the undercarriage coating on the Sprinter but I don' live where salt is used on the roads so even if it does it should be fine.

I then bought two sets of these..

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lynx-Levelers-10-Pack-RV-Leveling-Blocks-with-Nylon-Storage-Case/32983974

and I bought some 2" x 6" boards and cut them up...

I put a 2" x 6" on the ground followed by a stack of lynx blocks and then another 2" x 6" on top and then the scissors jack. Of course each one is in contact with the manufacturer specified lift points.

All of this cost me about $150 w/tax (4 scissors jacks, the Lynx blocks and the wood) compared to about$800-$900 for the stabilizers (that would not work anyway on my coach).

I can set all of this up in about 10 to 12 mins..which is not bad..and I get my exercise too.

I can run them up with ease using my DeWalt Drill motor..and when doing so I raise the Sprinter up any where from a half an inch to an inch or so...

At that point the Sprinter is good and stable...

Yes, I have added some weight but not nearly as much as the stabilizers that are sold that attach to the underside of the Sprinter shown here:

http://equalizersystems.com/store/m...-jacks/stabl-lite-electric-stabilizer-system/

The above stabilizers cannot be used on my Sprinter ...... they will not work and I even called the company and spoke with one of there people and sent him pictures telling him that on my ERA Limited the Sprinter frame rails were not designed to take the jacks they way they were advertised to do so and that in addition there was no room at all for them.

So in conclusion I am very happy with my solution....we will put it to the test the next time we go camping...

Turbo John

i have a 2008 sprinter / 2010 winnebago era 170xl coach. My wife doesn't like the rocking motion when we are parked and people or someone is moving about in the coach.

I am considering installing these:

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/stabi-lite-electric-stabilizer-system-p/8849am.htm

can anyone tell me any reason(s) why i should not install these on my coach..

I just looked a some postings that showed multiple cracks in a sprinter frame near the rear of the chassis.....just a fluke that i came across those pics but they made me think ... Are these a good idea or not..

I appreciate your feedback

has anyone installed these....tell me about them please
when this van is rockin.........dont come a knockin!

Top Bottom