PDA

View Full Version : Radio install

Billet
01-01-2014, 12:48 AM
I am going to attempt to install a radio/ GPS indash in my 08 2500. I'm getting it from crutchfield so I should get the connectors.
I was wondering if I could find an radio schematic I want to connect the backup camera I'm getting as well. I will need to find the reverse signal input in the dash. Or maybe it's in the radio connector. Dunno. Anyway if anyone has experience wit this their input is welcome

Thanks
Randy

ElWhoppo
02-23-2014, 02:51 AM
Bought a MB look-alike 7 in screen from China w/ all the bells & whistles. Plugs match and canbuss included. The canbuss was an education. Big plug matches wireing harness. Small plug is for canbuss. Add full time power (auxilary memory I think) from cig lighter. Found the reverse wireing (~2-3v) would not support backup camera as the rear lights will not support a trailer. You got to run a 12v hot to power camera and then come up with a way to trigger it when in reverse. Probably a relay would do this but I chose to fix a micro switch riding on the shift lever and a on-command switch on the dash (see my post to crush). Radio slides right in. Added a/v cable to the back. Everything for ~$400. Had to buy a antenna adapter. Gps antenna works fine in area adjacent to radio antenna in cab under headliner (probably would work in dash).

Billet
02-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Will the reverse lead at the drivers kick panel not trigger the backup camera. I have been thinking about ordering that radio
W h ice Chinese company did you get yours from.

2008 2500 170 HT

ElWhoppo
02-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Me, I'm just an old country boy, could not figure out what wire to use when the one on the shifter did not support the camera. Unit was found on a link with ebay called Winlinkstar, #160618975588. Dead ringer for MBs unit except right side has two colums of buttons while MBs has three. Fits perfectly. With shipping,$409, MBs ~$1400. You get a users manual but no instalation manual. Gently pop the face plate trim loose, take out 1/2 dozen screws and remove old radio. Lower filler tray is freed with a small flexible putty knife. Holding tabs are on the sides. Utube a great help. Look under double din radio installation. New unit will slide in on rails, slick. Got radio, gps, ipod, usb, 2 tv inputs & outputs, dvd, cd, etc. You will need a antenna adapter, and I would suggest a antenna booster, but I'm rural. Camera is extra, $20. Comes with its own hole saw and isn't bigger than your thumbnail. I got the wide view 170 degree and mounted it in the center of thr 3rd brake light. Test it before you glue it. My image was upside down. I rotated the camara ball in its mount and carved on it to get a lower angle of depression. Broke the seal and got a foggy picture, dried it out with a hair dryer then sealed it wlth liquid pvc.

Billet
02-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Ok, thanks, I have a camera , I think I would like that radio, just wasn't sure about the Chinese thing. The wire for reverse is up in the left kick panel. White wire w/blue stripe. Plugs into a module. hard to get at, but it works,
I bought a Jensen, not real happy about it. reception stinks and don't like all that junk on the screen. I am more factory oriented and aftermarket doesn't really thrill me. I won't be purchasing oem due to cost, but like the looks of the overseas look alike.
Thanks
Randy

Brian12345
02-24-2014, 02:55 AM
Billet....not sure about the 08's but my 12 when I order the radio harness from crutch field the will be a reverse lead coming out of the harness....so you shouldn't have to look for it anywhere else if it's like my 2012

Billet
02-24-2014, 03:37 AM
My 08 model didn't have a backup camera. The wiring harness from Crutchfield does have a reverse lead coming out of it, but it has to be connected to a reverse feed from the van.

2008 2500 170 HT