PDA

View Full Version : Michelin LTX a/t 2..!

bigmule
12-28-2013, 09:19 PM
All the tire threads got me all fired up...Anyone else running them?

I'm about 60% done with mine and am considering a fresh set. Some time in the next few months, I do truly like the overall handling and wear I have experienced. Also thinking about the M/S version, for longer wear and better fuel economy.

I drive daily and work out of a 02' T1n 140 SHC.

sailquik
12-28-2013, 09:38 PM
bigmule,
If you like the LTX AT's, you will most likely find the LTX MS2's are significantly better.
Better wear qualities, better snow traction....just better!
Hope this helps,
Roger

flman
12-28-2013, 10:36 PM
I have the MS2s on my front axle, conti snows on the rear, I am going to put the MS2s all around when the snows wear out.

bigmule
12-29-2013, 01:40 AM
@flman, how much snow do you see in your parts?

Im north east.

Tanks!

flman
12-29-2013, 12:23 PM
@flman, how much snow do you see in your parts?

Im north east.

Tanks!

I am NE as well, some times we see it, and sometimes we don't. I only have the Conti snows cause a member on here was selling them like new with wheels and TPMS. For $200 and $100 for Uship, I would have bought them if I lived in the desert.

TimToolMan
12-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Good one flman. I like it when a post makes me laugh. I could use a good deal like that I need a spare tire for my van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

flman
12-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Good one flman. I like it when a post makes me laugh. I could use a good deal like that I need a spare tire for my van.

Tim it is a fact, but if it made you laugh, I am glad to know what I post is not depressing. :smirk:

bigmule
12-29-2013, 09:27 PM
We then, I guess I have vote to go the m/s2 route!

**Scratches chin...looks in wallet...**

Cheers

Edit to add: there fixed it!

TimToolMan
12-29-2013, 10:31 PM
My van came with some heavy duty looking Goodyear tires on it and they were close to new I would say. So I am hoping its close to another couple of years before I have to empty my wallet for some new tires. I am hoping to get the Michelins if I can afford them. My 4x4 truck I had before the van only got about 45,000 miles on a set of tires. Hoping to do much better on the Sprinter.

sailquik
12-30-2013, 12:09 AM
bigmule;
Michelin LTX MS2's.........NOT LTX MS.
Had both, and the MS2's are much improved!
Besides they have quit making the LTX MS so any that you buy would be old stock and should be heavily discounted.
Roger

+drive
12-31-2013, 10:45 PM
I am currently running the LTX A/T2. I had the LTX M/S and was interested in a bit more traction off the pavement. The A/T2's are showing little wear with 45K on them, which is a pleasant surprise.

xlman78
12-31-2013, 11:42 PM
I did 180k already on older version M/S and they still have a tread.
Kinda hard to pull 900$ on a tires, but its worth it no question ask, the best tires you can put on your vehicle-period.

aa9zz
01-01-2014, 12:10 AM
I have an Airstream Interstate 3500 on 2008 Sprinter chassis. I have 30,000 miles on my original tires but I have pretty bad rot. High mileage is not important but I need something that I can feel safe on for another 30K or four to five years, whichever comes first.

My tire dealer suggested four BFG Commercial T/A 215 85 R 16 tires for the rear of my 2010 unit built on a 2008 chassis. Price is $770.00 balanced and out the door.

Will they work for my needs?

sailquik
01-01-2014, 01:02 AM
aa9zz,
Yes, they will work, but if you ever encounter a low traction situation......you will wish you had purchased the Michelin LTX MS2 tires instead.
On a dry paved road, tires are all about the same.
In lowered traction situation....heavy rain, sleet, light snow, patches of ice....the Michelin's will get you going and keep you going.
Only takes one small loss of control due to poor traction to destroy your entire RV and perhaps hurt someone in your vehicle or someone who gets involved in your accident.
Not worth the risk, for my money!
Roger

aa9zz
01-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Sailquik, thanks for the advice.

bkhi
01-01-2014, 01:35 AM
aa9zz,
Yes, they will work, but if you ever encounter a low traction situation......you will wish you had purchased the Michelin LTX MS2 tires instead.
In lowered traction situation....heavy rain, sleet, light snow, patches of ice....the Michelin's will get you going and keep you going.
Only takes on small loss of control due to poor traction to destroy your entire RV and perhaps hurt someone in your vehicle or someone
who gets involved in your accident.
Not worth the risk, for my money!
Roger

I just got mine a month or so ago, what a difference between these and the originals. We have had several storms already and no slipping at all.
The best money I ever spent on tires.

hulagun
01-01-2014, 01:58 AM
aa9zz,
In lowered traction situation....heavy rain, sleet, light snow, patches of ice......
Roger

Don't forget sand, silt, or gravel...

icarus
01-01-2014, 03:18 AM
My OEM Conti's would let me get stuck in my own shadow! Worst tires ever made IMHO. I limped out nearly 40k on them, but they were bald! I only got 40k on a set of Conti's on a light weight Prius! The Michellens have over 100k on them on the Prius. I've got 20 on them on the Sprinter and they look like new.

Icarus

Sprinter808
01-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Big thumbs up for the michelin LTX AT2 ! I've been running them for over a year on my 2500 and I am very satisfied with their overall performance. I especially like the way they handle large puddles of water on the highway. They are great in the snow, and the occasional off road use. I recommended them to a friend with a Ford e350 van, and he has had a similar experience.
The only downside is that the more open tread is a bit louder on the highway, but it is not excessive,and I find it an acceptable trade off for the performance.

JAM
01-05-2014, 02:55 PM
I have these on my van. Had em on my gmc savana too. Love em. Just keep em rotated every 6k and they will last a long time. I have close to 50k on mine and they still look great. They do very good in snow and rain.

vinyl_addict
03-19-2014, 10:29 PM
is there a heavy duty offroad tire that would work with the 15" wheel? i like to do a bunch of off road driving in parks and monuments and have noticed some desert areas are relatively flat/ accessible for sprinters but list "sharp rocks heavy duty tires only."

NelsonSprinter
03-20-2014, 02:18 AM
is there a heavy duty offroad tire that would work with the 15" wheel? i like to do a bunch of off road driving in parks and monuments and have noticed some desert areas are relatively flat/ accessible for sprinters but list "sharp rocks heavy duty tires only."

I have the Nokian Rotiiva A/T in LT 235/75R15-E , very strong, see my link below

plcpitt
03-21-2014, 03:21 AM
I agree with Roger; have those on our SS Agile for a year based on the recommendation of a friend in the tire consultation business (an independent consultant, does not sell tires). Great tire for Sprinters.

sailquik
03-21-2014, 04:11 AM
vinyl_addict;
Check the 15" tire options link that Nelson Sprinter posted.
Unfortunately I don't think the highly praised Michelin LTX MS2 or AT2 come in the 15" size.
You could opt for a set of the later Sprinter 6Jx6 5 lug rims (kinda hard to find) and go with the smallest size (225/75R16 LRE 115/112).
Here's the 15" link again!
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25645&highlight=tire+options
Roger

bigmule
03-21-2014, 02:24 PM
So this thread has grown legs...good info guys. Thank you.
I'm still rolling my ltx at2 sneakers...they are well into 45k. The snow up here in NE this year has been omnipresent and it really shows on the older well worn tires on there now....not nearly as confidence inspiring to drive !

I think with the input here and the coming summer months...I hope soon arriving, I will go with the ms2 for the next set of tires....unless of course I'm suddenly behind the wheel of a new van...!

RB7
03-29-2014, 07:20 AM
If you have 15" wheels and want Michelin MS2s you must buy them in 235/75 x 15 size.
That's what I did. This is technically too wide for the rim width, but in reality they are working out just fine. I highly recommend this tire. Mine have 65K miles on them and look roughly half worn out. I was worried that they'd wear excessively in the center because of the too-narrow rim, but they're wearing well. Some tire stores may not put them on a Sprinter because they're not the correct load range nor width,and they're not 70 psi tires (they're only 55 psi I believe) but in reality they work great on my '06 passenger 118" Sprinter. They almost fix your speedo error but you'll have to multiply your odo reaing by 1.06 to get the true miles you've driven. Your gearing is changed and RPM drops at same road speed, of course,

hulagun
03-29-2014, 08:35 AM
If you have 15" wheels and want Michelin MS2s you must buy them in 235/75 x 15 size.
That's what I did. This is technically too wide for the rim width, but in reality they are working out just fine. I highly recommend this tire. Mine have 65K miles on them and look roughly half worn out. I was worried that they'd wear excessively in the center because of the too-narrow rim, but they're wearing well. Some tire stores may not put them on a Sprinter because they're not the correct load range nor width,and they're not 70 psi tires (they're only 55 psi I believe) but in reality they work great on my '06 passenger 118" Sprinter. They almost fix your speedo error but you'll have to multiply your odo reaing by 1.06 to get the true miles you've driven. Your gearing is changed and RPM drops at same road speed, of course,

I reported similarly last year, with my Firestones. Same exact findings, altho my speedo runs near 100% correct according to GPS. My 118" seems to like the 235/75 x 15 tires just fine. It's just a guess but I reckon that stiffer sidewalls might even make my 118" cargo overly bouncy and less comfortable. :thumbup: If a 10 ply sidewall rating is a must have, a 6" rim is apparently not a problem with the Nokian Rotiivas in this size. I hope someone else will be the guinea pig before I need new tires. :laughing:

Mein Sprinter
03-29-2014, 03:44 PM
To those knowledgeable regarding the Michelin LTX M/S-2.

I plan on going on an extreme Adventure this summer; perhaps 15,000-20,000 miles and about 25% gravely roads(packed) in the NWT of Canada. Some gravel stretches will be 400+ miles one way.

Currently I have 16,569 miles on my 2010 Roadrek SS Agile which of course has the Conti's(245/75/16), should I change them to the Michelins before I depart or...?

Thank you...

cheers...

sailquik
03-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Mein Sprinter,
I would change to the Michelin LTX MS2 tires before you leave on this trip.
Might find a way to strap a couple of the partially used up Continentals as back up spares.
Are you going to buy 5 new tires....or only 4?
In Alaska, you could run into some snow, mud etc and the much better traction of the Michelins will get you
through low traction situations that the Continentals might not.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Mrdi
03-29-2014, 04:29 PM
My Contis were pretty well shot at 17k
Change
Peace of mind is well worth the expense,...
not to mention the problems of replacing tires in remote areas.
I had a tough time replacing a new blown Michellin tire on North Vancouver Island.
Buy 5 !!

Mein Sprinter
03-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Mein Sprinter,
I would change to the Michelin LTX MS2 tires before you leave on this trip.
Might find a way to strap a couple of the partially used up Continentals as back up spares.
Are you going to buy 5 new tires....or only 4?
In Alaska, you could run into some snow, mud etc and the much better traction of the Michelins will get you
through low traction situations that the Continentals might not.
Hope this helps,
Roger

My Contis were pretty well shot at 17k
Change
Peace of mind is well worth the expense,...
not to mention the problems of replacing tires in remote areas.
I had a tough time replacing a new blown Michellin tire on North Vancouver Island.
Buy 5 !!

Sailquik and Mrdi... thanks for the input.

I can carry only one Conti on the rear door rack. There's no room to carry another one. Mine is a Roadtrek SS Agile(19.5'). The current Conti is brand new but of course is 4 years old; has no aging nor blemishes, been covered all it's life!

At the chagrin of my Missus..eh, more $$$$, so I'll be shopping for 4 new Michelins after seeing what my taxes gonna be :frown:.

I am of the aged kind and need to improvise some lanyard rig attached to my rear top roof rack in order to assist me in lifting the spare on/off the rear door spare tire holder.

cheers...

windseye
04-27-2015, 03:45 PM
I just put a set of LTX A/T2 on my T1N high 158. They seem to wander more on the road. Anyone else have this issue?

surlyoldbill
04-27-2015, 05:06 PM
I just put a set of LTX A/T2 on my T1N high 158. They seem to wander more on the road. Anyone else have this issue?

My new tires wandered for about 400 miles, then got "broke in" or whatever tires do. I haven't had a problem since then, even after rotating.

Boz Staggs
04-27-2015, 05:17 PM
Windseye I had the same problem with the same tires on the same van. Try reducing the PSI. See my post on this issue.

bigmule
04-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Seeing as the thread is still alive, I'll post I did actually go with the A/T 2 again...the MS2 will be next round. In about 25,000 miles...!( I have ten k on the current, second set from the opening post to today.)

:cheers:

surlyoldbill
04-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Only 35k on a set of tires? I expect at least twice that. Even the cheap Firestones were 70k+ and still had acceptable tread.