what oil to use after dpf removal

Jajoinery

hi guys, im based in the uk, running a 209cdi ncv3
i had the dpf removed and the ecu reset back in march this year, they also remapped the van to 118ps.
my question is what oil do you use with the dpf removed, im aware you have to run low ash oil with dpf fitted, but whats best with dpf removed ? and also what grade?
many thanks
jamie

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
Re: what oil

Why not use the same?
My interval was 7.5k for oil and filter, now without all the contamination:10k, same oil.

sailquik

Jajoinery,
Just use the best....Mobil 1 5W-40 ESP (Emissions Systems Protection) Formula M (if you can find it in the UK).
If not....I agree with gary 32....use oil that meets the MB BEVO 229.51 specification.
Here's the link.....there are too many products listed to paste in here.
Hope this helps,
Roger
P.S. The service intervals for all my 2010 and later NCV3 Sprinters with the OM-642 V6 have always been
10k miles (16093 km) WITH all the emissions controls intact.
Never had a problem with any of them using the Mobil 1 5W-40 ESP Formula M!

Last edited:

Eric Experience

Jamie.
One of the benefits of removing the DPF is that you can run a better oil and therefore less likely to destroy your motor with main bearing failure. I would run the oil you used in a sprinter before the DPF fitted vehicle. Eric

Jajoinery

Hi eric, i cant remember what i used to use in my old tcv1, it was a 10/40w but cant remember if it was fully or semi synthetic?

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Just use the best....Mobil 1 5W-40 ESP (Emissions Systems Protection) Formula M
My understanding is that the ESP Formula M's primary difference is low ash to help avoid clogging the DPF and low phosphorus to help avoid damaging the catalyst, i.e. primarily emissions control equipment concerns. Without a DPF why wouldn't any high-quality (and considerably less expensive) diesel oil be just as good a choice?

Expert Marine

Electronics
This is an interesting topic. I too would think that better engine oil does not have the ESP formulation, but i'm no oil expert. I have read that some have run Rotella T Syn but suffered with oil consumption. Whats up with that? Rotella T Syn is also formulated for DPF equipped vehicles, but does not have the latest MB rating.

On the other hand I too have read that the EGR system also tends to get sooted up. I'm not sure if running other oil would increase the chances of EGR related problems.

What kind of mileage are you getting in your tuned sprinter?

lindenengineering

This is an interesting topic. I too would think that better engine oil does not have the ESP formulation, but i'm no oil expert. I have read that some have run Rotella T Syn but suffered with oil consumption. Whats up with that? Rotella T Syn is also formulated for DPF equipped vehicles, but does not have the latest MB rating.

On the other hand I too have read that the EGR system also tends to get sooted up. I'm not sure if running other oil would increase the chances of EGR related problems.

What kind of mileage are you getting in your tuned sprinter?
Its not always that one oil won't pass a manufacturer's approved spec list.
Behind the scenes there can be a lot of politics and company policies at work on both sides.

I can remember an "Incident" in the 1970's with BMW motorcycles and Duckhams Oils a UK independent blender.
They wouldn't supply BMW Motorcycles with their oil for approval simply because of the German oil filter BMW was installing on production for /5 & /6 models and as spare parts supplies was of poor quality. (flow issues)

They knew the filter was prone to collapse and had warned BMW about the issue which was ignored. "Surprise surprise" arrogant SOB"s!
Ultimately of course BMW concedes that they were wrong having had a spate of crank failures and an expensive worldwide campaign to rectify the issues for customers. British police forces were starting to buy volume fleets and it was causing technical sales concerns amongst other things

Equally the Chief Engineer at Leyland Trucks where I worked wouldn't approve another UK boutique blender due to recycling of old used oils in their blending activities; even though it met all API certification. Today of course we applaud this policy of recycling and Valvoline does this nowadays. Politics and often personal attitudes get in the way!

So its not all black and white behind the scenes.
Dennis

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
hi guys, im based in the uk, running a 209cdi ncv3
i had the dpf removed and the ecu reset back in march this year, they also remapped the van to 118ps.
my question is what oil do you use with the dpf removed, im aware you have to run low ash oil with dpf fitted, but whats best with dpf removed ? and also what grade?
many thanks
jamie
If the 209CDI has an OM651 engine, BeVo 223.2 lists those without DPF MUST use either
0W30, 0W40, 5W30 OR 5W40 WITH APPROVALS
MB228.5 OR
MB 228.51, OR
MB229.3, OR
MB229.31, OR
MB229.5 OR
MB 229.51,
OR MB 229.52
do an internet search for any of those #s on MB Bevo to get the list of MB approved oils

Last edited:

Top Bottom