Injector Question

Talbott594

Talbott594
I just finished rebuilding my motor and everything seems to be doing good. I replaced the #1 injector due to the old one leaking raw diesel. My injector question is, Do I need to program the injector? I read in the manual that assigning the injector to the cylinder and selecting a range(1,2,3) is necessary.

I didn't see an engine type mentioned. OM612, OM647 will respond to a DRBIII or DAD (probably), Star, and dealership tools. Maybe even a Snap-on scan tool with proper accessories.

An OM642 V6 will not. For that engine a newer style Mercedes dealership level scan tool is required.

vic

lindenengineering

Vic
For info the Snappy will access all 2007 to 2009 NCV3's but some of the systems were poorly covered.
No coverage for MB Sprinters but with the MB general car program you could fanny about and get some info.

The latest and greatest Snap On program will give greater access to Dodge programs for existing years (and it wasn't that bad to satrt with !) and most MB Sprinter programs but with a few exceptions like Security.

For the money its not bad at $1100 for the update onto an existing tool.

Still for the money @ $10,500 the Autologic is very easy to use and will access everything and of course you enjoy product support by live bodies who can give you the methodology to interpret & re-program the modules. The annual updates are $1500 .

As the pretty one in the back office (Missus) often says for $10,500 it had better have a backside wipe feature!:smilewink:
Cheers and Happy New Year.
Dennis

lindenengineering

Talbot
Install everything and clear the codes.
Then fire it up all should be well, lights should stay off if you have covered everything.
All should be well!
It will know which injector is which if you have them connected correctly (in any case you have to go some to get them cross connected.)
If not then the light will come back on but don't sweat the small stuff.

Cheers Dennis

wooffi

$10,500 seems a bit steep for us individual sprinter owners....

I'm having trouble getting mine started after fuel injector change and am trying every possible solution, hope it's not related to the injectors not being scanned in.

The beast started fine before with leaking injectors, but only with the very scary starter fluid spray, used it very cautiously.

I am now a bit lost, changed all fuel lines, filter, primed low pressure pump, it works fine when turning key it filled all lines into high pressure pump as well.

Now I just don't get any combustion, it just turns, no crank.

I don't have a scan tool so I have no idea what the rail pressure is, last resort maybe the dreaded o ring at the pressure sensor.

Glow plugs are bad so I may have to just wait for some warm days here in TN.

I'm getting off the topic, but it started with injector change, sorry. Any input would be appreciated.

Wolf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lindenengineering

$10,500 seems a bit steep for us individual sprinter owners....

I'm having trouble getting mine started after fuel injector change and am trying every possible solution, hope it's not related to the injectors not being scanned in.

The beast started fine before with leaking injectors, but only with the very scary starter fluid spray, used it very cautiously.

I am now a bit lost, changed all fuel lines, filter, primed low pressure pump, it works fine when turning key it filled all lines into high pressure pump as well.

Now I just don't get any combustion, it just turns, no crank.

I don't have a scan tool so I have no idea what the rail pressure is, last resort maybe the dreaded o ring at the pressure sensor.

Glow plugs are bad so I may have to just wait for some warm days here in TN.

I'm getting off the topic, but it started with injector change, sorry. Any input would be appreciated.

Wolf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wolf
Prices for professional factory style scanners are around $10K up and designed for those engaged in professional repair activities.
In the realm of things it doesn't make financial sense to own such a tool and go through all the technical training for an occasional DIY repair.

If it ran from cold with a whiff of ether its most likely the glow plug system you need to focus in on! It is there for specific purposes these days not just initial fire up.

Giving it a whiff of ether was the old tyme methodology of determining if the glow system was defective or if the engine wasn't developing enough compression to start a fire on many a diesel engine. These days its not recommended but is used now and again for fault diagnosis.
Basically if the engine is being cranked over at about 900r/m by the starter and the glows are working properly you should get a murmour out of the engine without ether use temptation.

By the way you don't state in your posts what platform you own, year model engine etc, so it is difficult for forum members to give comment from similar experiences they have had that might help you.

Dennis

wooffi

Thanks Dennis,

I will update my info, thought I'd done that already. Her is a little more on the subject. Right after the injector change on a 70 degree day it did 3 or 4 sweet little cranks, sounded just like a normal start without ether.
But it would not stay running, that is when I ripped the fuel system apart and in the process broke the 3 way line that connects low pressure pump to high pressure and to another mystical connection. Good learning experience getting these lines in.

Anyway, I am getting a stronger battery today and will look into you getting the glow plugs out (my shade tree mechanic destroyed them, the first two I tried where broken). So more tools from GB. Lucky me I have till spring to fix this and will wait on a warmer day anyway.

Thanks again for all your help, Vic's post on injector removal was great help and I did a second leak down test that proved to be real good, minimal fluid in the three older injectors, none in the two now injectors.

Wolfgang

Dennis,
Thanks for the additional information. I always appreciate your input. :thumbup: vic

2004 Sprinter 2500 T1N OM647.
Please add that info to your signature.

You should be fine if coding isn't available to you. I was unable to code my early production 2004 when I changed all 5 injectors. It has been running fine for many, many miles since. (knock/touch wood)

There is a company that has a great tune from 2005-2008....It wont work on a 2003

I would like to purchase it but he never tried it on a 2004......

He would not guarantee it would work on a 2004......its the mystery year for him

Does anybody know the differences in these years when it comes to the engine/ecu/ecm

Thanks
I can't answer your specific question, but there may be a break point in the 2004 ECM's. The reason I say that is in a recent thread Doktor A mentioned that when replacing injectors the early production North American 2004 OM647's do not respond to injector coding. The later ones will. That indicates to me that there are two versions of either mapping or ECM architecture within the 2004 model year. FWIW. vic

I haven't heard it referred to as "tuned", but I suppose that fits. A more common term is "coded".

My take on injector coding.

The injectors are not able to be manufactured to strict standards. The size of the "squirt" can vary. The injectors are tested and assigned a number code which relates to the "squirt" quantity.

When a new injector is installed then the specific injector code number can be submitted to the ECM (engine computer) so the injection quantity is a known value to the computer.

The ECM constantly monitors the engine operation which includes varying the injector "squirts" based upon feedback.

I replaced all 5 injectors in my 2004 with Bosch factory reconditioned injectors. As happened to your mechanic, I was unable to get the ECM to accept the new injector codes with my DAD. I never did code my injectors. My engine has been running fine for many tens of thousand miles.

My opinion.

The injector coding helps the ECM to trim in the fuel quantity more quickly after new injectors are installed. Because the ECM is constantly monitoring and adjusting the injected quantities based upon feedback, my theory is that eventually the ECM gets the injected quantity trimmed in whether the new injectors were coded or not. I stopped worrying about it quite quickly for my engine although I would have preferred to code my injectors.

All that said, I readily defer to any professional Sprinter technicians who disagree.

The following documentation should help to support my ideas above. vic
As always, clicking on the blue arrow icon within the quote box will take you to the original thread/post. In the case of the post immediately above it will take you to much more technical information.

Good luck. vic

A Canned Posting Add-on

Please take the time to add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!! It's easy to do. It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

Here's how to do it.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
After you are logged in click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right corner.
On the left side under "Your Profile" click on "Edit your Details".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type the information.
I suggest “Vehicle year – NAFTA or 311, etc.” depending upon your location.
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.

Another place is in your "Signature".
Click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right.
On the left look for "Setting and Options".
Click on "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in the information you want.
I used “NAFTA NAS (N. American Spec) 2004 OM647 140 2500 Std Roof >260,000 mi. Paint=Arctic Whitewash, DAD

Scroll down to "Preview Signature". If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.

I don’t know what objection anyone could have to adding their model year and Sprinter detail information permanently. (You don’t need to include your location.) Consider it this way. Members of the forum will try to help you. Do you think that it is fair for one to expect anyone to dig up your vehicle information before they reply? You only need to add the info once using the guide above and you’re done. Sorry if I'm being too straightforward for some.

Can't see Signature and Avatar Info?
Go to Quick Links in the blue bar above.
Click "Edit Options".
Scroll to "Thread Display Options".
Look to see if "Show Signatures" and "Show Avatars" are checked.
Click on them if not.
Go down to "Save Changes".

Thanks. vic

Last edited:

Top Bottom