What is this control?

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
Thanks. Found an owners manual right after posting.

Free dust.... Anyone want some.

Having the Aux heater and going by the console switches and dash switch at the edge of the steering wheel it looks like it has a few options. Heated driver and co-pilot seats being one of them.

Dust cleans up, but can be an indicator of how it was taken care of. Mine is dusty. I keep it maintained, but I'm not crazy/paranoid (anymore) about it.

I can't believe the dust is so heavy that you can hardly see out the windshield though. :dripsarcasm::dripsarcasm:

vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
As others have said, that's the 7-day Aux Heater Timer... a $700 option.

The dust may well have plugged the internal cabin temperature sensor's grill and fan
(that rectangular thing in the plastic between the central and right-side round air control "knobs" )
Likewise the cabin air filter (under the hood above the engine's air filter housing) is probably in pretty bad shape (or missing).

--dick

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
$700?! Jeez Louise - I'll pull mine out and ship it worldwide for $699.

AKA type 1531 seven day comfort timer. Picked one up on ebay for £60.

Amboman

That poor van has never had an ounce of love, it looks like a herd of goats have lived in the cabin for a while.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
$700?! Jeez Louise - I'll pull mine out and ship it worldwide for $699.
AKA type 1531 seven day comfort timer. Picked one up on ebay for £60.
The $700 was the original built-in-as-option price.

The part from Dodge is:
TIMER-AUXILIARY HEATER
New Part#: 68019082AA
List Price: $348.70
Your Price: $244.09

(original Dodge part number 05120301AA )

--dick

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
So can someone point me to some more info on this stock air heater and timer?

I just picked up the van, lots of info on the van and picking it up here. http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-WTF-did-I-just-fly-to-Maine-to-by-a-Sprinter!

None of the climate control functions work. We Hotwired the blower motor to push heat so that I could drive it home! The van is constantly in heat mode, blower currently on a toggle switch and temp controlled though the cold air vents.

Worked great for the trip home. But now I need to fix it!

Also want to be able to heat up the van in the morning before going out to drive it, need to remove the cargo divider and add another passenger seat, and heat that area, need a heater for camping! Can this all be achieved with mods/repair of this stock system?

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
That reads like you're going to need auxiliary heat. The two main brands are Eberspacher (Espar) and Webasto. Lots to learn but diesel to air is simplest and durable: the heater sucks diesel from your tank / burns it / passes over a heat exchanger and blows hot air out.

I have a Webasto Airtop 2000D with seven day timer. You set it like an alarm clock and hop in to a toasty cab in the morning. There's also an optional remote fob if you fancy that?

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
So that is the basis of my questions.

Isn't that basically what this factory air heater is? With the factory timer and "heat booster."?

Does it not have enough capacity?

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
The factory one is a bastardised Espar, but a coolant type heater rather than diesel to air. The fact yours isn't working doesn't come as a surprise - many pack up after a just a few years (the coolant circuit corrodes inside the heater). The diesel ones are more durable with minor maintenance.

You could fix it. I don't know what the factory heater booster output is though - anyone? My guess is it might not be man enough.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Having the 7-day timer means that you have the full optional Aux Heater system.
Pushing the red (center) button on the timer's face should fire up the Auxiliary Heater whether or not the engine's running.
(the (near) standard Booster Heater only operates when the engine is running, as an aide to get the coolant to 180F faster)
The 7-day timer (as the name suggests) can be programmed to fire up the heater at three pre-set times of day or days (to warm it up before you come out).

So if it's not firing up (it takes a few minutes) when you push the red button, then repair is needed.
When the red button is pushed, the cabin fan should start running (at speed 1, unless your control wheel is asking for more).

--dick

You could fix it. I don't know what the factory heater booster output is though - anyone? My guess is it might not be man enough.
The Hydronic D5 generates 17,500 BTU of heat for quickly pre- heating your trucks

The heaters regulate the coolant temperature between a low of 149°F (65°C) and a high
of 167°F (75°C) by automatically cycling the heater between the heat levels to maintain
high heat temperature.

5 kW (17,000 BTU/hr) - High
2.4 kW (8,200 BTU/hr) - Low

Approx. 12V Power Consumption

4.16 amps High
1.91 amps Low

Approx. Fuel Consumption (+/- 10%)

0.62 l/hr (0.16 US gal/hr) High
0.27 l/hr (0.08 US gal/hr) Low

In my opinion the OEM Aux Sprinter heater would struggle to heat the entire van in really cold temperatures. Part of that opinion is based upon the fact that it blows out of the dash vents. That is not in the area people generally occupy during sleeping/camping. I have no experience.

As MIG said, An Airtronic makes more sense for the cargo area heating.

vic

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
Thanks. This is starting to clear things up.

The owners manual mentions a water heater that heats engine coolant and an air heater.

So they seem to be separate systems. My van only has the air heater option. (according to the owners manual)

Which would be similar to the Espar systems?

Winnebago and and Westfalia conversions for vanagon/Eurovan S only use 12-16k furnaces. So the 17k+insulation seems like it would be "okay"? Add a rear vent?

Maybe add a rear coolant powered heater for driving down the road?

cahaak

The Espar heater that you have installed with the 7 day timer is behind the drivers headlight. It heats the engine coolant and the electric water pump circulates the coolant around the engine block. Of course some goes through the heaer core and the fan runs on low so you do get some interior cab heating with this running. But, the primary purpose of this is to heat the engine block up on cold morning and then help to keep it at temp if you are just running around town and not really pushing the engine.

If you want to heat the interior of the van for camping, then you would probably best be served by installing a diesel air heater in the van interior. Burns diesel just like your other heater, but directly heats the air and blows it into the van - that is its only function. Common names, as noted are ESPAR (D2 and D4) and Webasto airtop. There are also Russian made models that you can find on the web or Ebay such as snuggler or planar. Of course the first course of action is doing a good job insulating the van, makes the rest much easier.

Chris

Top Bottom