PDA

View Full Version : P0196

GeorgeRa
12-17-2013, 10:50 PM
My 2013 Sprinter’s “Check Engine” light just came on and ScanGauge II reads P0196 code - Engine Oil Temp Sensor Range/Perf code.
I have 250W engine oil pan heater and wonder if MB system is detecting engine oil versus coolant temperatures difference as a fault. Good advice would be very much appreciated.

George.

autostaretx
12-18-2013, 12:11 AM
I doubt if it's just "hot oil" that's confusing it.
I'd look for a loose connector, chafed/damaged wiring harness, or (indeed) a flakey oil temperature sensor.

--dick

Oilburner
12-18-2013, 02:12 AM
I second it, when I had harness chafed by fuel filter, my oil light was on showing "add 1 quart" on and off, then other sensors malfunction scan tool was detecting, by fixing wire harness it cured all problems.

GeorgeRa
12-18-2013, 05:27 PM
I searched for oil temperature sensor location but no success. On line parts catalogs with diagrams don't list this sensor or I missed it. Any wisdom on the sensor location would be great. I will get it fixed under the warranty but it is always good to have more knowledge before going to the dealer.

George.

GeorgeRa
12-19-2013, 06:20 PM
I went this morning to Freightliner in Portland to get the engine check light resolve. My only comment was that the engine check light is on.

In summary; they concurred with my original thought of MB ECM being “confused” due to warm engine oil and cold coolant. Their recommendation was to install coolant heater and not to use heating pad.

George.

Aqua Puttana
12-19-2013, 06:31 PM
In summary; they concurred with my original thought of MB ECM being “confused” due to warm engine oil and cold coolant.

You did a good job putting 2 + 2 together. :thumbup::thumbup:

Their recommendation was to install coolant heater and not to use heating pad.

George.
:hmmm:

Not that you asked...

You didn't mention any driveability issues. Did they mention any warranty concerns as to the pad heater? Coolant type heaters come up here more than pad heaters as to problems/repairs.

I need my pad heater very infrequently. I know what I'd do.

:2cents: vic

GeorgeRa
12-19-2013, 06:40 PM

You didn't mention any driveability issues. Did they mention any warranty concerns as to the pad heater? Coolant type heaters come up here more than pad heaters as to problems/repairs.

I need my pad heater very infrequently. I know what I'd do.

:2cents: vic

No driveability issues at all and no warranty concerns, the service was free of charge. I am not planning to install a coolant heater.

I used the pad for the last month or so and fault occurred only once. I will likely continue to use the the heating pad and clear the P0196 code with ScanGauge II as necessary.

George.

lindenengineering
12-19-2013, 06:50 PM
I have seen this issue on several cars including Landrovers where a block heater has "conflicted" with fuel rail temp, and bulk oil temps in the pan etc etc.

It is a plausible issue as the input parameters can conflict with the map program and create a soft code which eventually turn to a hard code and put on the check engine light. As aparent in your case

To verify simply clear the code and do not use the heater device checking for a soft/pending code in Mode 6 on a good scanner.

You might be able to alter the input of the sensor in question which is creating the issue as we did with a Range Rover as the customer was adamant about having such a device on his car.
Dennis

Boxster1971
12-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Attached is copy of Sprinter Engineering document on block heaters in case you need it.

nymike
02-02-2018, 01:06 AM
has anyone here ever used one of those "inline" block heaters that was in the above attachment? i've seen the oil pan also used on transmission pan heaters some magnetic some glued work well. I have only used the standard "screw in" or "press in" block versions.

Jbernielh
02-02-2018, 01:33 AM
Mike I use an inline heater almost identical to that on my Backhoe.. the red silicon end that is clipped to the heater is actually a thermocouple on the end of the power cord.. when it gets up to temperature it will cycle off and on and prevent it from getting to hot.. works really well.. my hoe doesn't have glow plugs and would be almost impossible to start this time of the year without it..

Bernie