Paint protection vinyl film

SLDriver

2014.5 LTV Serenity
Has anyone used the paint protection clear vinyl film on the front of their RV? It's common on new Class A RVs but I was wondering if it is a good idea to install on the front of a new Serenity. Is it easier to wash off bugs and other grime?

Thanks for any info.

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
It is an option you can specify from the factory if you are ordering a new RV. I requested it on a Unity TB I ordered and was told that LTV uses Diamond Shield for the application.

I have had 3M Clear Bra on the last 4 cars I have owned and it definitely helps for protecting against rock chips and makes bug washing a lot easier. I wash/wax it just like the rest of my car and unless you really look for it you can't see it at all. It can get slightly stained if you leave particularly messy bug splatters on for long periods of time during hot summer months but the paint underneath is well protected. You can easily rinse and wipe splatters like that off with a damp rag while the vehicle is dirty without worrying about damaging the paint. Doing that on unprotected surfaces will leave swirl marks on your paint job.

SLDriver

2014.5 LTV Serenity
I have read a lot of complaints about Diamond Shield used on Class A's. DS's website indicates regular maintenance is needed to keep it in good shape. I wonder if the product is poor or whether owners don't do the upkeep.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I wanted to do that with my Serenity when I got it, it was CHERRY! Sadly I didn't and relied on the bug shield on the nose, thinking I'd likely be fine. Now I have lots of chips (also lost the windshield so some pretty gnarly roads) and am thinking about hitting up the body shop and then doing paint protection. I did try this stuff from 3M that sprays on and dries to a film that is like the pre-cut stuff, but it exactly molds to your car. I didn't wanna put it anywhere that it might go bad and ruin the appeal of the RV so I put it under the solar panels I was installing. First I waxed the surface and then taped off any area I didn't wanna get sprayed.

The spray itself was childs play but then the mistakes started happening. I wanted to do the other side for the other panel and didn't wanna sit on a ladder in the street so I STUPIDLY drove the RV to the end of the block and turned around, but when I got on the roof I discovered the newspaper had blown into the sprayed area and was permanently attached. I did not make that mistake on the other side.

The can said to not spray in direct sunlight or some temp so I did it in the evening, but then I noticed it said not to let it get wet for 48 hours... So that means no rain right? Just a few hours later the RV was already covered with dew and by dawn the paint protection was all white and dripping down the side of the RV. It took 4 days before it would survive in the night without changing color. The drips did peal off easily and the remaining taped off area did get a plastic film, with newspaper and dirt in it. If I was to do the hood I think I would pull the nose into the garage first, maybe hang shower curtains to keep the spray dry, but I just went to the local auto parts store and got a can, really easy... Likely easier to do that maintenance on than the one piece film is.

-Randy

4wheels

I have it on my Sprinter .. Called clear bra , you can buy it on eBay . I love it ! I ve seen a 2014 GLK at dealer and it had that factory option . That option was like $1600 on that car . You can wash it and wax it and buff it , just like the rest of your car . I have it on headlights and foglights , too. :thumbup:

Top Bottom