PDA

View Full Version : seat belts

johnnyfire
12-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Ok,posted this before,but can't find it.I'll try again.I have a 07 2500 diesel that I bought new in 08.Its white ,but should be lemon yellow.Latest problem is pass.seatbelt won't pull out.I took off the plastic cover,took out the one bolt that holds the bottom spool in and tried pulling the belt out,but it won't budge.Not tangled,no dirt.Can I unplug and just buy a whole new assembly?Will that trigger a warning light that I won't be able to clear?If I can do it myself where would I buy it?Thanks,Johnny

jmoller99
12-16-2013, 05:12 PM
I had to buy a replacement for the passenger side seat belt - it was doing the same thing as yours (mine is a 2002 Sprinter).

On a T1N, this is tied to the SRS system. If you disconnect your existing seat belt, and start the Sprinter, it will throw a fault that requires a Sprinter compatable diagnostic system to reset the error. However, if you change the part without ever starting the engine between the time you take the old part out and replace it with a new one, there won't be an SRS fault thrown.

Make sure that you disconnect the battery if you pull any of the Seat Belts out or disconnect anything going to them - you don't want to trigger an event (like firing off your air bags) that will cost a lot of money to address. There is an explosive Squib in the Seat belt assembly on my unit that could surprize you if it got energized randomly.

I have a DAD unit (works only with the T1Ns) so I could reset my SRS error. However, if you go to a dealer service center, it could cost you $50 to $125 dollars for them to do the reset. The Sprinter monitors the Seat Belt status.

By the way, my old seat belt unit was unrepairable. I did save the mechanisum with the exploding Squib part in case I needed it in the future.

FlyingBreadBox
12-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Seat belts are often replaced free by other car dealers,not sure about Mercedes. My 2002 Nissan has received 2 free belts, installed. Dealers will not repair them because of liability. I am the third owner. 100,00 plus miles and out of warranty. Check before you buy.

johnnyfire
12-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the advise,I'll have to try to find a MC dealer near Daytona Beach where we are spending winters.If they won't do it for free than I'll try myself.

Douglas Hicks
12-20-2013, 06:19 AM
Why is there a squibb on a seat belt? I am on my 3rd or 4th passenger seat belt on my 2005 Tin, about $250.00 + labor each time. Now the 2003 is starting to give problems, intermittently.