MB factory roof rack system

dynaco1

Has anyone purchased and installed the MB factory roof rack system? The cross bars look like the Thule square bar design. Base feet fit anywhere along the factory c-rails (NCV3).

I would appreciate feedback; good or bad.

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Thule your end, Rhino Pro Rak and Thule our end, there are slight variations as to cosmetic and construction minus the MB logo. MB charges more for the product marketed MB it may be slightly better with the build.???
ncv roof 1 (Custom).jpg

NCV roof 2 (Custom).jpg

ncv roof 3 (Custom).jpg

ncv roof 4 (Custom).jpg

ncv roof 5 (Custom).jpg
Cheers Richard

Mrdi

Before purchasing that unit, you may want to decide which accessories you intend to use.
Make sure they are compatible.

dynaco1

Based on excellent pictures and some estimated dimensions from Altered Sprinter, I have decided to investigate a lower profile and quieter roof rack system. Altered Sprinter mentioned Rhino.

I spoke with Rhino N.A. in Denver and decided to try their elliptical, more aerodynamic cross bars. This should reduce the overall rack height to 4 inches from the top of the MB factory c-track. Rhino has a 20% factory rebate promotion now, which makes the total cost for a pair of 71" wide cross bars and four bases $280 after free shipping.

dynaco1

The Rhino rack system arrived from eTrailer. The Rhino feet hardware kit does not allow their bases to attach to the MB factory-installed C-channels properly. etrailer has passed the buck to Rhino. Now, I am waiting for a Rhino application engineer to respond with a possible solution....or maybe not. In the meantime, my $280 is tied-up. Maybe I should have purchased the MB racks.

Stay tuned.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Somethings not right on that one, as Rhino an Australian company along with his brother Prorak both fit the NCV.
I could find out for you with OE aftermarket numbers, I'll assume Rhino USA sand Oz have both identical numbering codes.
Cheers Richard

Mrdi

The Yakima feet / pedestals/ risers fit and the bars are round, not square.
I have that system functioning on my 2008 hi.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
The Rhino rack system arrived from eTrailer. The Rhino feet hardware kit does not allow their bases to attach to the MB factory-installed C-channels properly. ...

Stay tuned.
What Rhino code number for the leg bases did you get? I wanted a low profile so I got Rhino code RLTPMV which are only 2 inches tall but are designed for the Porsche Cayenne/VW Toureg. I had to trim them on one end with my table saw to get them to fit properly.

The Rhino Rack code RLTF, which are 3 inches tall, are suppose to work on the Sprinter.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Update but limited on time till tonight.
RLTFMS Two and Four bar systems.
Model variants:SWB/LWB for MB Sprinter....VW Crafter MWB/LWB
Which varinat for length did you get?...They do fit.
There is removal of torx screws and replaced by legs/lugs.
Instructions are specific as to loads and placement of Chanel nut positioning where the bar crosses over plus sealants for waterproofing/ including rail bar removal if going through an automated car wash.
Cheers Richard

dynaco1

Rhino USA was on the telephone with me today. I emailed them pictures and they have a solution. Parts were mailed to me today, which should allow their rack feet fit the factory-installed mounting channels more securely.

I will provide an update with pictures of installation.

dynaco1

Rhino USA sent me a small hardware package via priority mail. Looks like it could be an improved version specifically for MB factory-issued Sprinter roof channels; could do the trick. Will not know for sure until it warms-up enough to melt the ice and snow on my roof mounting channels....

Last edited:

dynaco1

The temperatures finally rose above freezing yesterday. Amen.

Robert at Rhino Rack USA in Denver worked diligently to help me fit the 71" (1800mm) Rhino Aero crossbars to the MB factory-installed roof rack channels. Thank you, Robert.

Hopefully, Rhino will utilize the detailed photographs emailed to them to assemble a kit for others to purchase.

My plan is to add a ~60" x ~48" meshed- basket or slatted-platform to the crossbars for cargo, like sandy beach chairs or wet swim toys.

Attachments

BikeJozz

Bumping this thread for a new question:

Anyone used Rhino Rack's C channels instead of the Mercedes ones? I don't have the OEM tracks on my van and the $$ MB is asking for the tracks is about 4 times the cost of the Rhino tracks.

I would like to know if the C channel cross section dimensions are the same in case I want to use Fiamma brackets made for MB OEM tracks.

emailed Rhino a few weeks ago with no response. Resent email a few minutes ago.

J.

s2kysk

I am curious as well. Have you tried etrailer.com? retailers tends to respond better and quicker than manufacturers.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I've ordered many items from etrailer.com - they have great customer service. I'm using Rhino-Rack cross bars for my solar panels, but my Sprinter came with OEM roof rails so I can't help the OP much.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long

Rensho

If you know you are going to go with Fiamma awning, you may want to get the factory rails.
The brackets are fitted ONLY for the factory racks. Height, and width and channel width comes into play, as well as relativity to roof height from the bottom of the rain channel.

Someone else has already found this out for us.
I'm sure you can make it work with some rigging and shimming/grinding, so just know what you're getting into.

I bought 10' L track to use as rails and once I saw this info, that put a stop to my install for the time being.

moceanman

Bumping this thread for a new question:

Anyone used Rhino Rack's C channels instead of the Mercedes ones? I don't have the OEM tracks on my van and the $$ MB is asking for the tracks is about 4 times the cost of the Rhino tracks.

I would like to know if the C channel cross section dimensions are the same in case I want to use Fiamma brackets made for MB OEM tracks.

emailed Rhino a few weeks ago with no response. Resent email a few minutes ago.

J.
I am searching for a roof rail option for a 2011 Freightliner 170WB hitop. I am told that the channels were "optional" in some of those years. I can get channels from THULE and piece them together to the desired length. I'm wondering if the whole headliner has to be removed to fasten these into place? Is there a better option than THULE? I want to use thule feet and rapid aero bars to cut down on noise.

Norwest

Are there Yakama bases that fit the MB roof rail system? I have 6 Yakama cross bars and a bunch of other yakama rack parts so hopefuly I can use them.

Thanks,

Norwest

Last edited:

Top Bottom