PDA

View Full Version : Sprinter Skreem cure

Turbo John
12-11-2013, 03:37 PM
The last time I was here I got the start error code. I ran all the 12 volt tests and everything was A ok
Now I did email Andy and he said you have no choice: Send the Skreem/keys and ECM to
SOS Diagnostics. So I boxed it up and sent it to SOS.....cause it was an SOS !

Now they wont tell you a thing about the repair........so dont ask.

I got it back promptly with a 300 dollar charge attached.

The Skreem was sealed with their tape and so was the ECM....with a note that there was a lifetime warranty if I did not tamper with the box and left it sealed.

re-installed and after several tries...something like it was learning ......would not start

but after several tries with both keys it finally started and NO MORE ERROR CODE

Started right up every time since then with no issues.........fixed!:rad:

So here is my take...........for along time I would disconnect my negative side of the battery and re install to get it to start.........what ever goes bad with these trucks take place over a certain time period,

I think it was all related and finally it just quit. So if your experiencing no start issues in time it just wont start anymore and you will need to do what I did.

Having said that I do not know or heard of anybody else that can perform that service. They have a cottage industry built around this trouble shoot. I am thankful and grateful we have a company like them...........cause I do not know the next step to fix this mess.

Thanks you SOS Diagnostics...........this trouble shoot would have cost a small fortune at a dealer or foreign car shop. http://www.sosdiagnostics.com/sprinter.html

This forum can save you money if you pay attention and can do some things yourself.

I was able to check the 12volt issues first with a meter and then I knew it was not some fuse or other issue.........and was not real sure when I got it back it would start.

Evidently SOS knew when they checked the ecm and skreem there was an issue, otherwise I would have gotten a phone call saying there was no problem

Anyway I want to report this so in case others are having this issue......it can be fixed.

I only have 75 on my Sprinter so its not a mileage deal....:bounce:

Turbo John
12-11-2013, 03:39 PM
75 K on the sprinter means to me its more of an age related deal...mine is a 2004 and still like new

david_42
12-11-2013, 03:51 PM
I had a cold weather problem with my SKREEM at 30K, in 2005, that required replacement. I think the failures are more or less random.

glasseye
12-11-2013, 05:30 PM
And it looks like all these SKREEM issues might become moot soon. Here's a video that shows bad guys effortlessly entering vehicles with an electronic black box.

If they can break into the car this easily, they can probably disable the immobilizers. :idunno: :yell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=l7OadDz3Ums

Time for a hidden, simple start-inhibit switch somewhere in the vehicle?

davisdave
12-11-2013, 06:01 PM
After each of the three times i have sent my stuff to SOS it started first try.:2cents:

JAM
12-11-2013, 09:16 PM
That's awesome it's fixed. My start error was a bad ground strap from motor to frame. My no crank no start was loose nuts on fuse box 1. The mechanic said it had some corrosion and those bolts are what gives it it's ground path.

Turbo John
12-12-2013, 12:46 AM
After each of the three times i have sent my stuff to SOS it started first try.:2cents:

Are you saying it failed 3 times with the same truck?
Or there different trucks.....

If its the same truck how much time elapsed between failures...that way I will know what to look forward too!:bash:

Turbo John
12-12-2013, 12:52 AM
And it looks like all these SKREEM issues might become moot soon. Here's a video that shows bad guys effortlessly entering vehicles with an electronic black box.

If they can break into the car this easily, they can probably disable the immobilizers. :idunno: :yell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=l7OadDz3Ums

Time for a hidden, simple start-inhibit switch somewhere in the vehicle?

I agree that the cars are so complicated now and people are more brazen now especially with a bad economy that the only protection you have is to now keep valuables in your car and if you must you then buy a safe for your car.

No alarms either because we now rely on the factory alarm...

All I want to do is drive my truck and not worry if its going to start every time!

Turbo John
12-12-2013, 12:53 AM
I had a cold weather problem with my SKREEM at 30K, in 2005, that required replacement. I think the failures are more or less random.

Well then its random.............the question is!!!!!

What goes bad?:thinking:

davisdave
12-12-2013, 05:40 PM
So i sent my ecm and skreem back to SOS. Get new skreem box and reprogramming. Go on 400+ mile trip over several days with no problems. Stop half mile from home on the way back...start error. Get new battery, no change, get towed home.

Buy loaner set from SOS and send mine back. Go on 400+ mile trip over several days with no problems. Stop for fuel a few miles from home on way back...start error. Luckily my original had arrived back at home, so wify brings it and i get home.

Chad at SOS says my problem is "interesting":bash: He says a few customers carry a spare ecm and skreem. That would really suck! I asked him about a new ecm...

"A new ECM is not going to help or at least it is very unlikely. That is an expensive gamble to take. The ECM we sent has run several other vans with no faults.
Could be an open or short in the wiring, a bad ignition switch, the fuse box in the column, etc. When these vans get this intermittent “start error” it can be fun to track it down since it only happens briefly after multiple successful starts. Sometimes they will run for months before reappearing.
Send back the other set ASAP so we can get it programmed and ready to go until the fault is found."

It is weird, it used to be more intermittent. It could come and go. Now it seems to work until it doesnt. I also dont get how problems else ware could cause the units to go bad. Is it an amazing coincidence that every time i swap them out it works, until it doesnt. I am in Sprinter Hell:cry:

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26867&page=2

Currently, i have over 40 starts and carry a spare ecm & skreem. I wish i knew what goes bad. Hopefully you will not have this problem again!:cheers:

Turbo John
12-13-2013, 04:18 AM
40 Starts........who counts? Now you have me paranoid........guess I will start counting........about 10 days will be 40 starts........now thats some security!

Turbo John
12-13-2013, 04:19 AM
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26867&page=2

Currently, i have over 40 starts and carry a spare ecm & skreem. I wish i knew what goes bad. Hopefully you will not have this problem again!:cheers:

This is crazy....so in about 10 days or less it could go bad.........where is Doc Andy...we need a retrofit!

davisdave
12-13-2013, 05:34 AM
ha, sorry to make you paranoid! just sharing my personal woes:cry: two times i had less than 20 starts, so i am on a roll! counting is a sign of OCD:crazy:

Turbo John
12-14-2013, 05:16 PM
ha, sorry to make you paranoid! just sharing my personal woes:cry: two times i had less than 20 starts, so i am on a roll! counting is a sign of OCD:crazy:

Now I am.........started it only 5 times

Aqua Puttana
12-14-2013, 09:40 PM
ha, sorry to make you paranoid! ... :crazy:
Damn you Sprinter-source!!

It's a double-edged sword.

Recently I noticed a different smell from my T1N exhaust. I didn't put much on it and pretty much thought maybe it was fuel supplier related or change to winter blend fuel.

Then someone here mentioned that they noticed an odd smell before their engine quit with piston related damage.

So now here I am wondering if the smell is something I should worry about or not. :bash:

I've found so much excellent help here...
But like I said... double-edged sword.

Now I am.........started it only 5 times
That sounds like a good start to me. (Pun intended).

There's been many more success stories related to SOS Diagnostics repairs than otherwise. You should be fine.

:cheers: vic

Turbo John
12-15-2013, 10:25 PM
if you have piston damage you will see lots of blowby.....:thumbdown:

Turbo John
01-14-2014, 03:50 AM
still starting:bounce:

davisdave
03-11-2014, 05:25 AM
Hahaha...100 starts, woot! Crumpled up my OCD counter this morning! Stop at store on way home to pick up some rum to celebrate...start error! Sh@t you not! Pull fuses, no luv. Install spare ecm/skreem i carry, starts right up. go home...drown my sorrow:cry:

hooked up DAD, mess around with COM settings...start error!
key off page 1

key off page 2

key on page 1

key on page 2

Turn off van, disconnect DAD. Starts three times in a row.:crazy: had enough for one day:yell:

photogravity
03-11-2014, 03:51 PM
So when the SKREEM begins acting up, will the van still turn over or does it simply do nothing when you turn the key? Also, based on my quick perusal of threads on the topic, does it seem to be less of an issue with the 2003 and earlier Sprinters?

Turbo John
03-12-2014, 12:12 AM
So when the SKREEM begins acting up, will the van still turn over or does it simply do nothing when you turn the key? Also, based on my quick perusal of threads on the topic, does it seem to be less of an issue with the 2003 and earlier Sprinters?

You will get a " Start error code" and it will do nothing but wave at you!:tongue:

davisdave
03-12-2014, 03:03 AM
umm, John, FYI...a single finger is not a wave:lol:

Panzer Kaptin
03-12-2014, 04:26 AM
Can SOS disable the SKREEM so that the Sprinter will just start and ignore the SKREEM altogether?

Seems like the SKREEM is such an annoying POS that will potentially strand you in who-knows-where at the most inopportune time. Not something I want to deal with, when driving cross-country with a pair of 100lb dogs, a wife, and a little girl.

I'd rather just get rid of it/disable it completely.

glasseye
03-12-2014, 03:10 PM
I agree. I would pay to have it permanently bypassed. :thumbup:

davisdave
03-13-2014, 02:35 AM
Wow! I just started my van without the SKREEM box plugged in at all! I emailed Keith at GDE this morning and asked about eliminating the immobilizer. By noon, he emailed me a tune with immobilizer eliminated! Just loaded it (i did get his tune a couple weeks ago)...BAM!
I cant speak to longevity...but it started without the SKREEM box plugged in at all! Praise be to Allah, hahaha:cheers::bow::hugs::thumbup::thumbup:

photogravity
03-13-2014, 02:41 AM
Oh, yeah!!! I think I know what I'll be mentioning to Keith in a future message. :cheers:

Panzer Kaptin
03-13-2014, 03:41 AM
Wow! I just started my van without the SKREEM box plugged in at all! I emailed Keith at GDE this morning and asked about eliminating the immobilizer. By noon, he emailed me a tune with immobilizer eliminated! Just loaded it (i did get his tune a couple weeks ago)...BAM!
I cant speak to longevity...but it started without the SKREEM box plugged in at all! Praise be to Allah, hahaha:cheers::bow::hugs::thumbup::thumbup:

How much does this cost to do/get/install?

davisdave
03-13-2014, 04:59 AM
For me...SKREEM elimination...priceless! I dont know...the programing box you get is $200...Keith's skills are $$. GDE eco tune with box is normally $600 for Sprinter cool guys:shhh:
So i disconnected pin 5&6 on the SKREEM box (CAN +,-)...my remote keys work and it starts. so far so good:rad:

glasseye
03-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Let's hear more! Never had a "tune".

Dougflas
03-13-2014, 11:46 PM
Are these Skreem problems on vehicles with power door locks and manual locks or just power locks?

davisdave
03-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Let's hear more! Never had a "tune".

:bounce:lots of info and drama here...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30548&highlight=green+diesel+engineering

I am still validating the skreem elimination, making sure it doesnt throw codes. I dont know about the power door locks...they are two different systems in the same box. Mine does have power locks, but that has always worked...even with start error.

davisdave
04-08-2014, 01:17 AM
I wanted to report back that all has been well with my GDE immobilizer elimination! I have left the CAN+/- disconnected from the SKREEM box and have not received any CELs. After over a year of intermittent starting, carrying spare ecu/skreem, and sending ecu/skreem off in the mail, I am beginning to have faith that my van will start every time:clapping:

photogravity
04-08-2014, 02:08 AM
I wanted to report back that all has been well with my GDE immobilizer elimination! I have left the CAN+/- disconnected from the SKREEM box and have not received any CELs. After over a year of intermittent starting, carrying spare ecu/skreem, and sending ecu/skreem off in the mail, I am beginning to have faith that my van will start every time:clapping:

May I ask this: Have you achieved 100 starts yet? Just saying'... :tongue:

Turbo John
04-08-2014, 07:15 PM

What is interesting that nobody has mentioned that in the past. So you send your junk to SOS several times and all they had to is ask if you want the immobilizer not to function. You say yes and the problem goes away it looks like. I am sure they have the knowledge to do this being they look at these situations/problems pretty regular.

So having said all of that I question why this has not been brought up in the past when looking for a fix for this irritation? If that is your field of expertise is seems like this would have been an option in the past. Maybe its a monetary issue and a source of business and they do not want to get this resolved on a permanent basis.......what say the forum?

Me personally I have hunted problems to fix this to no avail......and this is the one reason I would sell my sprinter......:2cents:

OK12V
04-09-2014, 01:42 AM
Where is that SCREEM and pin 5&6 ?

autostaretx
04-09-2014, 02:32 AM
Where is that SCREEM and pin 5&6 ?

The SKREEM is bolted onto the back of the instrument cluster.

Image from service manual (which you can download from http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/ )

Pins are on the plugs, and the pin layout is also in the service manual (chapter 8w)

--dick

davisdave
04-09-2014, 06:31 AM
Well, i reckon SOS doesnt access that part of the dealiobob. I believe SOS opens the ecu to work his magic. Apparently, this works "permanently" for most folks.
GDE reprograms the ecu through the obd port. Keith says "I just turned off the system checks for the most part, but did not touch the diagnostic settings."
You can probably leave pin 5&6 (CAN+/-) attached. It worked for me when it was...the ecu is not looking for permission to start:rad: I just disconnected to truly verify freedom!

I have scoured the internets for a year looking for solutions. I believe this is a new fangled technique...at least to the public:bow: google "start error" and you get benz, sprinter, and other Chrysler owners crying:cry: stoopid german security system that keeps the owner from starting the f-ing vehicle:yell: I hope GDE makes some bucks, cuz i am sure there are people out there who need help and would be glad to pay.

I guess i will never know why i kept getting recurring failure. I still find i hard to believe it is in the wires, but i have no idea what is really going on.

Turbo John
04-09-2014, 12:32 PM
I agree with you Dave....I know the local Chrysler Service Rep says they have problems with start error codes on several models and even they are stuck with no solutions!
I think Keith could offer that solution alone to the Mopar family!

that was a good idea to prove it to yourself! and of course others!!!

thanks for sharing

Turbo John
04-10-2014, 06:05 PM

Do you still have some of the wires attached to the Skreem.......? Or did you just detach two of the wires?

davisdave
04-10-2014, 07:27 PM
The van starts with the skreem box plugged in, or not plugged in at all. I have it plugged in with the two CAN wires removed (i dont think it is necessary to remove the wires). My remote key works as usual. I think you could remove more wires (rfid coil?) if you wanted, buy i left them alone.

This thread could be relative...
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27049&page=3

Turbo John
04-10-2014, 08:05 PM
The van starts with the skreem box plugged in, or not plugged in at all. I have it plugged in with the two CAN wires removed (i dont think it is necessary to remove the wires). My remote key works as usual. I think you could remove more wires (rfid coil?) if you wanted, buy i left them alone.

This thread could be relative...
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27049&page=3

did you use it with the Non fob Key?

davisdave
04-10-2014, 10:05 PM
yes sir...immobilizer elimination! I believe the rfid ring around the ignition key can be removed and a standard $8 chipless key used without modification. Or leave the ring and file the key.

Turbo John
04-11-2014, 01:38 AM
yes sir...immobilizer elimination! I believe the rfid ring around the ignition key can be removed and a standard $8 chipless key used without modification. Or leave the ring and file the key.

me and you will be happy campers again!

Turbo John
04-11-2014, 01:44 AM
me and you will be happy campers again!

I dont have an issue now.....but when it gets cold it has a virus and no antibotic will work!
45 days after getting it back from SOS it would not start for a few days......then it got warm and has not failed since............

But who wants to fight that crap anymore.........you have had the worst.

If I take my Sprinter into a cooler climate somewhere camping.....it probably will throw a code...

I am the only owner of this sprinter.........bought it new.......never gave me a problem until this year..........it started in 10 below zero weather all the time!:bash:

02 Sprinter
04-12-2014, 04:03 PM
:thinking: I am a bit confused here? Please help me clear this issue up? If I file down the chipless key will it start with NO other mods? Also if I just un-plug the skreem box will it start&run?? Thank you for any help.:idunno:

Turbo John
04-12-2014, 04:16 PM
:thinking: I am a bit confused here? Please help me clear this issue up? If I file down the chipless key will it start with NO other mods? Also if I just un-plug the skreem box will it start&run?? Thank you for any help.:idunno:

You could be so lucky!!!!!!!!!!...

The key mod could be used after you purchase the Immobilizer Delete option from " Green Diesel Engineering.

If you unplug your Skreem the way it is ............it will NEVER start.

The Key Mod makes it like a normal key after the Skreem is Eliminated...blah blah blah

Pretty simple.:professor:

davisdave
09-26-2018, 04:32 PM
To recap, i had really bad intermittent "start error" for over a year. Got GDE immobilizer delete tune and have enjoyed a completely reliable van for over four years now. I had to get the T21 recall reflash because the van would not pass smog. Guess what showed up three weeks later...."start error":cry:
I still have my $800 back up ecu and skreem box. Put it in and it starts. I immediately reflash with my GDE tune so i have one ecm that will ALWAYS work! I sent the other bits back to SOS for resync.
GDE says they are not allowed to do anything in Kalifornia, not even just immobilizer delete on a stock tune. Thanks Oriondick!
So now i will have to swap ecu every two years to pass smog and then swap back to the immobilizer delete ecu so i can rely on the van to start.

autostaretx
09-26-2018, 06:08 PM
GDE says they are not allowed to do anything in Kalifornia, not even just immobilizer delete on a stock tune.
Perhaps you should blame (dare i say it? :smirk:) Trump's EPA: http://www.thedrive.com/news/23833/epa-fines-tuning-company-300000-for-producing-and-selling-emissions-defeat-devices

(from this thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69643 )

--dick :popcorn:

Bobnoxious
09-26-2018, 06:11 PM
To recap, i had really bad intermittent "start error" for over a year. Got GDE immobilizer delete tune and have enjoyed a completely reliable van for over four years now. I had to get the T21 recall reflash because the van would not pass smog. Guess what showed up three weeks later...."start error":cry:
I still have my $800 back up ecu and skreem box. Put it in and it starts. I immediately reflash with my GDE tune so i have one ecm that will ALWAYS work! I sent the other bits back to SOS for resync.
GDE says they are not allowed to do anything in Kalifornia, not even just immobilizer delete on a stock tune. Thanks Oriondick!
So now i will have to swap ecu every two years to pass smog and then swap back to the immobilizer delete ecu so i can rely on the van to start.

What did OrioNdick do, rat-out GDE to CARB?

This is the result of zero air pollution regulations.

socalmbcruiser
05-16-2019, 12:12 AM

I am in the same situation as you. Had GDE tune with SKREEM delete for a few years and enjoyed my van starting all the time without "Start Error" due to bad SKREEM module. Now I have to go through T21 recall and "Start Error" will come back for sure. If GDE can't do anything in CA, only two options I have are a) get a new SKREEM module and reprogram, b) have SOS delete SKREEM. I am leaning toward SOS but the cost is prohibitive in my opinion. I wish GDE can just bypass SKREEM after the recall =(