PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Sprinter 413CDI 'Limp Home' mode

Stanhort
12-10-2013, 05:28 AM
I have a 204 Sprinter 413CDI with 147,000kms and recently it went into Limp Home Mode. Load at the time was negligible and engine revs were below 2000.

The Benz dealer here in Queensland OZ hooked up to their computer and told me it might be either the Transducer (pressure converter) on the turbo or turbo itself, but could not pin it down any more precisely than that.

Long story short, I was charged $438.31 for a new pressure converter/transducer (A 000 545 05 27) - $735 in all, and was told if this did not fix it, I would be up for a new turbo???????????? I also Googled the part number and found quite a huge difference between the price charged by the dealer and the price available on the internet. Are non OEM tranducers ok to use?

Has anyone had experience with this type of Limp Home Mode issue or similar?

mean_in_green
12-10-2013, 07:44 AM
'Morning Stan. There's a good search tool in the blue bar above, I've previously posted a bit about the vac transducer. I used to carry a spare one around with me, think I got through four in nine years. Last time I bought one it was GBP£80.

It might not be the transducer but you could try swapping a known good one over to find out. It only takes half an hour.

Stanhort
12-11-2013, 05:04 AM
Hi Mean in Green
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. We have done another 500ks since the new transducer was fitted by the Daimler agents 2 days ago and no limp home mode so far, fingers crossed.
Will look at buying a spare and carrying with me. Is the replacement a relatively easy job for someone with a workshop and tools?? I now have an ex ADF (defence) Diesel fitter at our nursery and I am hoping to get him familiar enough with the Sprinter to carry out more than just services.
Cheers
Nick

mean_in_green
12-11-2013, 07:02 AM
It's a doddle: take out the grille and driver side headlight (RHD) and you can see the transducer. From memory there's an electrical plug and three vac lines that connect to it. The whole thing push fits onto a metal tab.

Aqua Puttana
12-11-2013, 01:09 PM
The NAS North American Specification (NAFTA) 2001 - 2003 OM612 T1N's also have that part. As time goes on it seems to be coming up more often as a solution to some LHM problems.

Maybe this will save other Yankees from doing the Google on the internets.
It's a doddle: ...

Definition of doddle in English

doddle Syllabification: (dod·dle)
Pronunciation: /ˈdädl/

noun
[in singular] British informal
a very easy task:

This printer is a doddle to set up and use.

vic

mean_in_green
12-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Just to add: there is more than one part possibility depending on engine type. They have different colour caps, although I've never established if this is related to their types or just a supply variation.

Stanhort
12-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Cheers for the extra info Mean in Green. Will have a look tomorrow and familiarise myself with it. Then its onto the internet to buy a spare (from someone other than a MB dealer that is :) )

mrwallysprinter
12-18-2013, 05:20 AM
Did you check the intercooler turbo hose? That's probably one of the most common causes and very easy and inexpensive to fix. Did mine on 2005 in less than 1/2 hour and you can purchase on line in various configurations from $17 to $85.

I have a 204 Sprinter 413CDI with 147,000kms and recently it went into Limp Home Mode. Load at the time was negligible and engine revs were below 2000.

The Benz dealer here in Queensland OZ hooked up to their computer and told me it might be either the Transducer (pressure converter) on the turbo or turbo itself, but could not pin it down any more precisely than that.

Long story short, I was charged $438.31 for a new pressure converter/transducer (A 000 545 05 27) - $735 in all, and was told if this did not fix it, I would be up for a new turbo???????????? I also Googled the part number and found quite a huge difference between the price charged by the dealer and the price available on the internet. Are non OEM tranducers ok to use?

Has anyone had experience with this type of Limp Home Mode issue or similar?