PDA

View Full Version : Key won't turn

AZRVer
12-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Battery was low,charged it. Now key goes in but won't turn. Is this a common problem? Is a 2009 with low mileage.

showkey
12-08-2013, 07:46 PM
low battery voltage can cause this problem.........is the charged battery really charged??????? Best thing you can hope for is the battery is bad.

More info and others past experience:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6885

OrioN
12-08-2013, 07:47 PM
I've had various ECU's go offline due to low battery state, and NOT come back online after a charge until I did a 'reboot'...

Unplug the battery disconnect, located above the throttle/pedal, for abooot 30 seconds.

NelsonSprinter
12-08-2013, 08:05 PM
it is common on other vehicles if the steering wheel is turned after the van is parked just before the key is turned off, creating a hard lock, with the wheels in a forced state, not the usual relaxed state, corrected by turning the steering wheel while putting the key in

Aqua Puttana
12-08-2013, 08:17 PM
There are some threads here which make it sound like the only solution is fairly major parts replacement. There are a few simpler things which people have learned to try. It is worth the effort to follow links to get to them.

I've tried to get some of the info together in this post.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=93856#post93856

Good luck. vic

AZRVer
12-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the replys! My battery voltage reads 12.5, headlights are bright. I have two keys neither work. Mileage comes on when I open the door. Steering wheel is locked, I have tried different ways to free it. Seems like no power to key lock.Help!

sailquik
12-08-2013, 10:26 PM
AZRVer,
Have you disconnected the negative terminal on your battery to allow all the systems to power down/reset/ and reboot when the power has been removed
for 5-10 minutes?
Have you replaced the batteries in your key fobs?
Have you gently turned/jiggled the steering wheel to see if you can get the steering lock to release? Do it gently, it takes no force to release.
If none of these DIY remedies work you may have to tow it to a Mercedes Benz Sprinter Commercial dealer for diagnosis and repair.
Hope this helps,
Roger

showkey
12-08-2013, 10:27 PM
It is possible to have 12.5 volts at the battery but due to poor cables and connections not to have full voltage at the fuse boxes and other critical locations. I would try measuring voltage at the engine fuse box and at the cabin fuse box to be sure the voltage is getting those locations.

This assumes every fuse in both fuse boxes has been checked and rechecked and during charging and or jumping an accidental "polarity problem" did not occur??????????

After these checks things look like a dealer visit may be next........as other posts state several problems from key cylinder to one or more control units.

lockrob
12-11-2013, 04:39 AM
When you first insert the key you should hear
Steering lock release.Key will not turn until
Steering releases.
Steering will not release if PCM doesnot
Recognize the transponder in key.