PDA

View Full Version : 2013/14 DPF Regen?

Old Crows
12-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Should know the answer but....Google is confusing me. :thinking:

Do these Model years regenerate DPF like my 2009/10? Does the AdBlu make a difference? What difference? :hmmm:

Aqua Puttana
12-05-2013, 09:37 PM

Do these Model years regenerate DPF like my 2009/10? Does the AdBlu make a difference? What difference? :hmmm:
If it has a DPF then it regenerates. I used Google and found this thread. It isn't Sprinter specific, but I thought that the replies explained things well. My take is that the DPF and DEF address different issues.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=362381

How's it going with the new ride? I was thinking you were going to name it "The Right Turn".

vic

Old Crows
12-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Thanks Vic! I'll check the link.... don't think I've seen that before.

"Calypso" is safely stabled for the next week. It got very cold here in Hill Country after we picked her up and we left it on ground power at the house to keep the inside warm, tank heaters on, and WH hot to prevent freezing. It was just too cold and nasty to muck around trying to drain and anti-freeze an unfamiliar system. The XYL has found bins and plastic bits to organize her shelves. She's making a mattress cover. All the necessaries we carry have been cross decked to the new ship. Got the new tags on Monday. I've read the manual and supplement twice (its 5" thick!). I've got valve stem extenders ordered for the duals. Had to take it to a truck place to even find the dang things to check TPs.

It has turned cold again dropping from 58 this AM to 33 right now today and will remain in 30s and 20s with sleet and ice till Saturday. I did go out today and drain the water system and refill with anti-freeze. I did replace the drain plug on the WH with one that has an anode and a valve so it doesn't have to be removed to drain the WH. The Profile is dang easy to winterize.... couple handy valves on the water control console to drain the lines, pull the water filter (bayonett connections! Yeah!!!) drain the WH, open the WH by-pass, remove the handy dandy pre-attached hose from it's hidey hole and stick it in a jug of AF, open a valve to winterize & turn on the pump. Go about opening the various faucets, flush the potty, etc., till you have Kool-Aide running out and you are DONE! And the fresh water tank has a massive dump valve. Pull the handle and bombs away! Winnebago boyz have done a nice job making it easy.

The combination heat pump and LP furnace back up is awesome! They will drive you out of the RV if you set it too high. Cycles on and off like a real HP. Quiet. Sweet!

The dogz approve of the new ride.... this is a critical punch list item!

Driven it a few more miles. It is probably better than Mariah so far as rolling around the long axis. Pretty steady in gusts.

Old Crows
12-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Vic, Thanks again for the link. It's a little clearer. They do regen.... I read somewhere where they don't do it as frequently as the non SCR versions. I don't think I ever had a regen in Mariah in 13K. Maybe I've gone deaf and blind....

The point of the question was to figure out if I can re-route the 'jack leg' exhaust pipe installed by Winnebago. It exits in front of the right rear wheels.... Right into the 'patio' area. Not that I'd be running the diesel a lot when sitting.... it's just annoyingly short sighted on Winnebego's part. All the factory hangers are still on the chassis. I can use OEM rubber hangers. Will need to custom bend a new pipe to bring over the axle and straight out the back (a' la Mariah's custom pipe). It may hang a little lower to clear the bottom the last bin on the right side. Since it 'regens' I'll have to consider good clearance for proper temperature control on the bottom of the plastic bin when it regens. Probably only a problem if its sitting still when it regens. I checked the rear plastic bumper on Mariah many times after the mod... it was always cool to the touch. Maybe the clearance using OEM hangers would be fine. Considering a custom made 'cooling tube' like many of the diesel trucks have. Done right... it could be an exhaust 'augmenter' (hey.... works on aircraft!) to extract another herd of ponys out of the 3.Oh. Jesss jokin'.... but the principle is there. Perhaps a double wall pipe. Simple heat shield??? But an augmenter idea would be cool.

bobojay
12-06-2013, 12:49 AM
OldCrows, a couple questions. Why did you put an anode rod in an Atwood water heater? They don't need them. Aluminum water tank.
Also, the Sprinter doesn't regen while you are sitting still, it does it while driving, so no need to worry about where the exhaust pipe comes out on your WGO product?? We've had 2 of them with no issues whatsoever

Old Crows
12-06-2013, 02:24 AM
OldCrows, a couple questions. Why did you put an anode rod in an Atwood water heater? They don't need them. Aluminum water tank.
Also, the Sprinter doesn't regen while you are sitting still, it does it while driving, so no need to worry about where the exhaust pipe comes out on your WGO product?? We've had 2 of them with no issues whatsoever

I was looking for a drain valve to replace the nylon stopper in the WH. It's really hard to remove because of the placement of the LP line. The RV shop had a valve/anode combo. Anode is magnesium. It will eventually go away leaving the drain. Not surprisingly, my old RVs water heaters had anodes that were eventually eaten up by the water. I drain the WH if its going sit for a few weeks. Having a drain valve makes it easy.

The exhaust spout is functional at its at its present location. I don't like the "look" of an exhaust pipe sticking out the side of a vehicle that lists at over $117K. It looks like it was fabricated in a high school welding class and installed by a drop out. (The pipe doesn't align under the hanger and the clamp looks like it belongs on a Deuce and a Half. Not up to the standard of the rest of the RV).

The exhaust pipe on the generator, on the other hand, is nicely bent to fit neatly and cleanly under the rear of the RV and ends just below the bumper. I did Dremel the long threaded ends of the U clamp off do give it a cleaner, neater look. Attention to detail!

After moving the exhaust outlet to the rear on our Ventura, it was noticeably quieter. I think there's some sound vibration that resonates with the side of the vehicle...

flman
12-06-2013, 10:35 AM

Enough DEF could replace the EGR, but not to worry, none of the emission controls will be coming off, the corporations need to keep these engines as complex and profitable as possible. :shifty:

Just hang in there, they will come up with another new troublesome device to stuff under the hood soon.