2014 oil and smoke?

Beantsingh

Hey all-

Picked up my 2014 6-cylinder about 10 days ago.

Today I hit 400 miles and when I parked there was a bit of stinky smoke coming from the front passenger side of the hood-

Opened up the hood and there appears to be a bit of oil around the oil fill neck? The smoke is gone and the smell has mostly gone too, but I am concerned.

I plan to call the dealer in the morning...

Any ideas? Is this normal?

Thanks!

sailquik

Beantsingh,
Did your new Sprinter come equipped with the aux . diesel fired heater?
If the oil is only over on the engine, it could indicate a problem.
Did you check the oil level with the dipstick?
No, it's not normal, unless the dealer changed the oil or something and the mechanic spilled oil around the filler.
Normally the oil that's in a Sprinter from the factory stays in and gets nothing added for the first 10,000 miles at least.
All brand new engines smell a little as the paint and any fluids cook off the hot places, but smoke is not normal at all.
Have you kept the RPM @ < 3,000 and been varying your engine and vehicle speeds IAW the break in instructions in your
Operator's manual Page 136?
Where are you located?
Roger

Last edited:

showkey

400 miles............Possible the van had its first DPF REGEN and smoke was the CAT burning off factory coatings residue.

"Bit". Oil around the filler cap..........sloppy fill or cap not tight.

Beantsingh

Thanks for the responses!

@sailquik- I have the crew van heater booster but I do not think it is an auxiliary heater...I am in Oregon. I checked the oil level via the dipstick and did not feel I got a good reading (although it seemed low), so checked via the on-board computer and it measured the oil level as good.

@showkey- I like your theory and hope ithat is the case!

I talked to service at Lynnwood MB today and they said to watch it and not worry as long as it doesn't happen again...

Top Bottom