2007 gas sprinter

double07

Hello evryone,
I'm new to this forum and have several questions about my 2007 gas sprinter.
Found this forum after purchased it from a dealer lot, 3.5L gas engine, 5 speed, 4.72 rear end. Driven about 1000 miles. Bought it because we need room for 4 carseats, and 1 booster for 5 childrens 7 and younger.
The rpm is too high at highway speed, 65mph @ around 3000rpm, a thousand rpm higher compare to my 4runner with 4 speed/OD and 4.30 rear end running at the same speed.
Questions are:
1. Do all the gas sprinters have this 4.72 rear end ? What is it good for ? Towing only ? too bad I probably will never tow anything since I don't have the hitch and not planning to put one on. Anything I can do to bring the rpm down to reasonable at a reasonable price? I think we will be driving it less than 5000 miles a year so if the solution is too expensive and can not pay for itself in 5 years, it doesn't worth it.
2. It has the steering wheel with no buttons, and so there is no mpg gauge, anyway a sprinter dealer can add this feature ? if not is there an after market device that is acurate and made for the sprinter, need to find the sweetspot for best mpg.

I haven't done any mpg calculation but for the current tank of gas it drank 3 bars (about 1/3 of the tank ?) for about 100 miles, about 50/50 highway/city.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ktran

Nate

2. It has the steering wheel with no buttons, and so there is no mpg gauge, anyway a sprinter dealer can add this feature ? if not is there an after market device that is acurate and made for the sprinter, need to find the sweetspot for best mpg.

I haven't done any mpg calculation but for the current tank of gas it drank 3 bars (about 1/3 of the tank ?) for about 100 miles, about 50/50 highway/city.

ktran

You can add a scangauge.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/store/ScanGauge/

tab380

The Drain Doctor
Hello evryone,
I'm new to this forum and have several questions about my 2007 gas sprinter.
Found this forum after purchased it from a dealer lot, 3.5L gas engine, 5 speed, 4.72 rear end. Driven about 1000 miles. Bought it because we need room for 4 carseats, and 1 booster for 5 childrens 7 and younger.
The rpm is too high at highway speed, 65mph @ around 3000rpm, a thousand rpm higher compare to my 4runner with 4 speed/OD and 4.30 rear end running at the same speed.
Questions are:
1. Do all the gas sprinters have this 4.72 rear end ? What is it good for ? Towing only ? too bad I probably will never tow anything since I don't have the hitch and not planning to put one on. Anything I can do to bring the rpm down to reasonable at a reasonable price? I think we will be driving it less than 5000 miles a year so if the solution is too expensive and can not pay for itself in 5 years, it doesn't worth it.

ktran
My 07 2500 Diesel at 65mph hits just under 2600rpm. Dont the gas engines need more rpms to get the same horse power as a diesel?:idunno:

double07

My 07 2500 Diesel at 65mph hits just under 2600rpm. Dont the gas engines need more rpms to get the same horse power as a diesel?:idunno:

I think it is marketing thing when MB say 254hp, but at the max 5900rpm (who's gonna rev it to that rpm anyway) instead of 154hp @ 3400rpm just like the diesel, after all I think it has just the same number of horses as diesel engine then 400rpm sounds about right. Way behind my 2000 4runner (7 years earlier techno) 3.4L V6 183hp @ 4800rpm. Maybe I'm wrong comparing it to 2000 4runner, but 1000rpm higher does not look good from a user's view when all factors are in comparable range. MB should have done much better.
I do feel like Goliath :"Is my transmission somehow missing the 5th gear ?"

ktran

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Regarding axle ratio, the 2007/2008 sales literature lists 4.10 and 3.92 values for rear axle ratio values with diesel engines. 4.10 doesn't exist. It's 4.18.
Yes, you read that right. The sales literature number "4.10" is not on anyone's rear axle. They all say either 3.92 or 4.18.

The sales literature also lists a 5.10 axle ratio as the only rear axle available for the North American NCV3 Sprinters equipped with the 3.5L gasoline engine.

The only way to know your axle ratio for certain is to crawl under your Sprinter and find the axle ratio. For the diesel engine-equipped vehicles, it's stamped on the rear-axle housing.

What does yours say?

-Jon

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Brake Specific Fuel Consumption
This is a simple calculation ..To calculate your BSFC rating you divide fuel flow rating at a specific rpm and divide it by the Horsepower output:rolleyes: at the same rpm BSFC = fuel pounds per hour/brake Horse power.
Sounds simple, only problem is What is the HP rating for a US sprinter and what injector module are being used, To this date I never seen a US site state Piezo injectors:idunno: or mention the new ceramic glow plug.:thinking:
Until some one runs the v6 on a Dyno I guess we will never know for sure what variation the OM 642 DE22LA 135 Kw = 184 HP & 3800 rpm with 400 Nm & 1600 -2600 rpm engine is ????? that is it's true Horsepower//// Gas more HP required to compensate for lack of Power which requires a higher rpm to generate torque to the rear wheels. hence a higher ratio different and final axle drive.
Photo for US 08 Diesel Sprinter 218 CDi V6 compliance plate! Now they quote advertised HP still the 4-pot engine crossing back to the old 5 inline strange fruit I say.
us  dodge123.jpg
Here is an example of rpm range for fuel it's on the tin, but this is a treat, for me:bounce:
To this day on a coastal run through Mountains ranges down on to the river flats with a full one tonne load=2200 lbs I have never got over between 20-23 MPG US on a 75 litre tank at 65 MPH 3000 rpm
So out of desperation I changed the usual formula and forth gear set to 1800 RPM on hill climbs at 50 MPH... Fifth gear set to 100 Kilometer = 60 MPH at 2750-2800 rpm .
Full tank of fuel 75 liters covered 950 Kilometers with three and half liters of fuel left in tank so I filled up at 957 Kilometers with 71.5 liters:tongue: six hundred miles or thereabouts to the tank on the worst roads in my state not bad when you drive by the rpm and not the speedometer. Elevation 2000 Ft... Engine temp 78 Celsius.... outside temp 22 Celsius.
Cetane 47 Diesel added Red line enhancer 15W -40 Oil.
Van rating 3.5 GVM uprated variant to 4.4 GVM.
The difference between 65 MPH and reducing to 55 to 60 MPH resulted in a two hundred kilometers extended fuel range =120 miles extra fuel for free:clapping:
I'm a happy little Chappy.
Richard

Top Bottom