PDA

View Full Version : Block heater

katmat
11-24-2013, 08:39 PM
I have a 2005 3500 series Sprinter. Looking to see if any one else has had a problem w/ the block heaters that are sold by Europarts of San Diego. I have replaced mine twice now (every 2 years) & it's bad again. I have checked the wiring & its good, element is open. I asked Europarts about it 2 years ago & they said no one else has had a problem.
Thanks,
Matt Murphy

JAM
11-25-2013, 07:00 PM
I use a pad heater on the oil pan and battery tray. Works great. Been over two years problem free. Maybe your plug on the heater is corroded.

greenwhite1
12-09-2013, 10:31 PM
We just had one of our Sprinters start tripping the outlet when plugging it in. The heater has been on there several years and it worked great.

JAM I did see a little corrosion on the prongs from people not putting the cap on all the time. Would that corrosion be internal and crossing over to cause it to short out? If we replaced the plug end that would fix it?

JAM
12-09-2013, 11:29 PM
We just had one of our Sprinters start tripping the outlet when plugging it in. The heater has been on there several years and it worked great.

JAM I did see a little corrosion on the prongs from people not putting the cap on all the time. Would that corrosion be internal and crossing over to cause it to short out? If we replaced the plug end that would fix it?

I doubt that would take care of it. I was talking about the end that plugs into the block. If your tripping the breaker your either overloading the circuit or the corrosion melted all the way through and you have a direct short. Does the breaker trip right away or does it take a few seconds?

greenwhite1
12-10-2013, 01:38 AM
It trips right away

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

katmat
12-10-2013, 12:01 PM
It trips right away

I'm betting that the block heater element is shorted out. At least when you go to replace it this time, the removal should be easier than the 1st time I did it.
I replaced mine for the 3rd time last weekend before the cold hit here in Chicago. I use a external timer for mine now & have it come on about 2 hours before I am going to start the truck. I'm hoping that by not running the heater all night long it may last longer than 8 months.

lindenengineering
12-10-2013, 03:25 PM
From experiences the aftrermarket heater sold by Napa doesn't last as long as the genuine Mopar unit pt# 1-82209533. (Made in Canada)

With the local ambients tumbling down to minus 24dgf in the mountains, having the heater on 24/7 appears to do it no good at all. The suggestion of having it on a timer makes perfect sense as it just is a waste of grid power ($).

I have one coming down on the hook from Steamboat that is a non starter and the block heater has gone 'Phutt" after three days of being on. Work that out!

By the way if you do have a DIY moment and install one, remember the threaded freeze plug is pressed metal and will cripple if you use a normal socket on it for the most part if super tight.
Better to use a broken nut extractor fluted socket which grips the nut head and ensures a good bite to loosen the plug.

To make life easier remove the exhaust support bracket and use a pivot head ratchet.
Cheers Dennis

surlyoldbill
12-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Dennis, when I lived in Fairplay for a few years, my Tacoma was often the only vehicle to start in the morning on my street. I didn't use a heater, others did. I have no secret, it would just slowly turn over, pick up speed, and then start. I don't know how anyone up in the mountains could have a diesel unless they parked it in a heated garage. Windchill in Fairplay was about -30 to -40 most mornings December-February.

Relevant moral of the story, in extreme weather block heaters are useless.

lindenengineering
12-11-2013, 05:30 AM
Bill
Well after this last session which is just easing up with a low of minus 18 last week, I am inclined to agree with you!

Yes like you I left my Prius outside my shop for a few days in preference to using my LR.
Blessed Toyota fired right up at minus 12 under a pile of snow like it was summer in Idaho.

Take care & cheers.
Dennis
p.s. Is it too early to wish one and all seasons greetings?

greenwhite1
12-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Our sprinters are company vehicles and we have way too many people driving them so a block heater is much easier for everyone understand. That is why we chose this option. We had a new heater on the shelf and I tested it. It read 26.6 ohm. I'm going to test the van that blows breakers when it gets back, which will about weeks, and see what it reads. Our heaters were bought from Europarts and it says it was made in Canada by Phillips & Temro Industries. Is the the same as the Mopar unit?

Aqua Puttana
12-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Any engine needs fuel to start. Block heaters do little to help against fuel gelling unless they happen to heat a fuel filter mounted close to the engine.

It's not a cure all, but I believe that starting an engine with warm(er) oil has advantage over an extremely cold unheated oil even in extreme conditions.

vic

surlyoldbill
12-11-2013, 03:47 PM
THIS is an interesting concept, a coolant pump that heats the fluid and moves it through the system...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Dodge-Sprinter3-0L-Block-heater-Engine-heater-/170735290626?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c09dc902&vxp=mtr

1500 watts is a lot of heat