PDA

View Full Version : Two squeaks, can anyone confirm problem?

Drive-By Cycles
11-21-2013, 05:41 PM
I have two annoying squeaks that mostly happen when cold. I believe the first is an idler pulley. It only happens when it's cold out and engine is isn't warmed up.its a consistent squeak,squeak,squeak,squeak, but goes away after a few minuets. I did replace the belt when I did my alternator and watching it run I notice a slight wobble in one spot of the belt. Could it be a bad belt or does it sound like a pulley. Once it's warm it really doesn't sound bad like a dry bearing or anything.
The other noise is coming from underneath and is more of a steady warbling squeal, kind of a weep, weep, weep, weep that starts from just rolling and increases with speed. I don't notice it above 20 mph. It sounds like a dry bearing seal. Hard to say if its from the center or from the right side but its def not the drivers side. I did my brakes over the summer and really had to pound the crap out of the front passenger side rotor to get it off. Could I have screwed up the hub or seal? My other concern is it could be the driveshaft carrier bearings. Do they make a squealing noise or more of a dry sound?

I really wish I had a lift :idunno:

11-21-2013, 08:48 PM
If when you are driving you should try turning your wheel left to right, If you notice a significant change in the sound then most likely a wheel (bearing) problem.. If the problem was in your drive shaft you would not only hear it but feel it in the van vibrating. But the van is high enough you should be able to crawl under. Good luck

sailquik
11-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Drive-By Cycles;
If your new serpentine drive belt has a wobble in it (that would be a manufacturing defect normally caused by not getting the materials in the mold perfectly
straight) that could definitely cause your "when cold" squeak. If it visibly has a wobble in it that's further evidence that the belt is most likely defective.
Hard on the pulley bearings as well. They do not like any sort of "side load".
The peep-peep-peep under your Sprinter sounds like a classic dry needle bearing in one of the u-joints.
The only way to fix that is a new OEM or aftermarket drive shaft.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Drive-By Cycles
11-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Please, not the driveshaft. I'm planning on jacking up the front this weekend to see if there is any noise when I spin the wheels. A least I will narrow it down to front or rear. It doesn't change when I turn. Forward-reverse no difference

Another issue I pray is not related is that my trans slips in the morning when it's cold, around 50deg or under. If I let it warm up a bit then shift from N to D a few times its fine and is good the rest of the day. Had my trans serviced about 7k ago. Has been fine until the cold weather returned. It happened last winter too.

rjbub
03-11-2014, 01:34 AM
I wonder if this is the same whining squeak in my front passenger tire area

This link has a recording of the noise..

Is replacing a front wheel bearing on a 50k 2007 2500 to be expected so young... is it a task for a oil change mechanic.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31737

rjbub
03-12-2014, 05:21 AM
Thanks to suggestions from others, I testing the source of the whining squeek by spraying WD 40 into the mid line drive shaft hanger bearing and packed the crevice with lithium grease.

The noise went away.. Most likely will come back with just this patch job, but at least I know the source of the noise.

With 50k on the sprinter has anybody had success with MB fixing what seems to be a manufacturing or design defect on the 2007 bearing.

Is it difficult to repair oneself?

Compstall
03-13-2014, 07:56 AM
One of the bearings is changeable, other is not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD