Sprinter van mileage questions

Motorhead68

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the whole Sprinter van thing although for some reason I joined this forum a while ago. I'm thinking about buying a van to haul dirtbikes. I was just wondering how much mileage is too much. Available funds dictate that I won't be able to buy a new one, and I have also heard that the older I-5 motors are better than the new V-6s, so I am looking at 2006 models and older. Most of the ones I am finding have around 200,000 on the odometer. I was just wondering if anyone out there has had any major issues with Sprinters running that many miles or if 200k is not a lot of mileage for this powertrain. I can handle cosmetics and other stuff, but I'd hate to buy one and then have to rebuild the motor or trans right away. I realize it could happen anyway, depending on which one I buy, but are there any major or recurring issues that are being experienced on the higher mileage Sprinters out there?

Thanks,
Scott

Can't say anything about the older ones. But I have an 07 with V6 and over 900k's. Replaced tranny at 550. Otherwise runs great. I'd still have no concerns going cross country. But when you need something, parts are expensive. Good luck.

Top Bottom