2007-2008 Problems?

kansadobe

We have had a 2006 Sprinter for over a year. We love it and it has been very trouble free. About a month ago a teenager drunk or on drugs rear ended us and even though the van is still driveable and low miles, the insurance company is wanting to total it.

I am looking at a low miles 2008, but read a lot about the higher incidence of maintenance isses including EGR valves, fuel pumps, carrier bearings, etc. It seems that the 2007's and 2008's are worse than the later years.(?) I know this has probably be discussed many times on here, but I couldn't find it. Please give me some objective information or experiences on whether the 2007-2008s or even the later ones experience more maintenance issues and higher costs than the earlier models. Is this truth or hearsay?

Thank you for any information you might provide.

Last edited:

kendall69

We have had a 2006 Sprinter for over a year. We love it and it has been very trouble free. About a month ago a teenager drunk or on drugs rear ended us and even though the van is still driveable and low miles, the insurance company is wanting to total it.

I am looking at a low miles 2008, but read a lot about the higher incidence of maintenance isses including EGR valves, fuel pumps, carrier bearings, etc. It seems that the 2007's and 2008's are worse than the later years.(?) I know this has probably be discussed many times on here, but I couldn't find it. Please give me some objective information or experiences on whether the 2007-2008s or even the later ones experience more maintenance issues and higher costs than the earlier models. Is this truth or hearsay?

Thank you for any information you might provide.
I have a 2007 that Idle an hour a day since new, only repairs was fuel injectors which were covered by warranty at 50K, and one hose , I'm about to hit 100K.

No issues with egr, bearing. I change the fuel filter every 20K, tranny fluid every 30-40K, brakes ONLY not rotors every 50K, tires 70K, wiper blades every 2 years.

Left rear axle went out this past summer. See attached for the rest of the work done on this 2008 170". Courtney was a rental from Bandago until last year. Bought from BargainVans.com. Now she is hauling Middle School Students in winter and a camper in the summer.

Attachments

I have an 07 with over 700K. Replaced the tranny at 550k. Otherwise problem free. I also have a 2011 and the 07 is by far less demanding. Good luck.

wildimaginations

Wild Imaginations
Just replaced my tranny at 155k back in June 2013 with a rebuilt. 100k/3yr Chrysler warranty came with the tranny.

My main issue now is the glow plugs going bad again. Been like that for about a year. It's a little harder to start in colder mornings but it still starts so I'm not going to fix that problem.

Had other minor issues like a broken steering lock solenoid and serpentine belt replacement that I just can't do so it goes to the dealer for repairs.

My van now has 170k miles.

Top Bottom